Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-16-2017, 04:47 PM

Default Artificial blind grass

Does anybody know where to get artificial grass to do a layout blind? Thanks.
Old 10-17-2017, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trigger7mm View Post
Does anybody know where to get artificial grass to do a layout blind? Thanks.
Nothing beats natural vegetation from the place you are hunting, however you can get raffia at Walmart or craft stores such as Michaels. Take a bunch of raffia and bind it with a zip tie and a bulldog clip then just clip them to your stubble straps on your blind.

Or you could get this:

http://www.cabelas.ca/product/80643/...ass-5x4-bundle
Old 10-19-2017, 01:28 AM

I have fiddled around with dying plain raffia, it didn't work out insofar as coming out the right colours for what I wanted. Plus you have to run out and buy the dyes, which are cheap, then setup a drying area and a dyeing area, and keep experimenting til you get the colours you want..
The Avery Killerweed is probably available in Canada, but, NOT cheap. I did two blinds and it took about 1 package of one colour to do it. The golden harvest isn't bad on most barley fields. The All Terrain will take 3 packs to do a blind in one colour, if you do one for peas and one for barley, 3 will do it, run you 120.00 or so. The single colour like Golden Harvest, 1 pack will do it, but, to get the darker colours, have to get the All Terrain.
The other option is Hardcore concealment grass, it is on the Hardcore website. They seem to have had it on sale at the moment, not sure if they can ship it here though. And they are out of the barley colour.
Other than that, I don't know if anyone is supplying other than these two. Flambeau had the best colours, but isn't available anymore, Tanglefree had some out, not avail anymore.
I got what may be the last two Flambeau's last spring, from a shop in Nfld.
If you want, and you are in a position to pick it up at the border, may work out about the same cost to get Killerweed from Avery or Roger's or Mack's PW or Prairiewind, they at least may have it on hand. I have seen Killerweed, occasionally, at Cabelas here, this year, but it isn't on their website. Basspro had the odd batch of their own stuff, haven't seen any in quite a while, think it was likely repackaged Flambeau.
Seems to me Final Approach and maybe Prairiewind may have stubblerope available still. Prairiewind used to have blind cover kits with some type of raffia in various colours as well, not sure if they still do. Roger's may still have those as well.
All depends how much money or time and effort you want to spend on it. And you still have to grass it on the field, to match the field, just spend less time doing it, in most cases.
Old 10-19-2017, 08:20 AM

Brock White.
Its called erosion roll I believe!?
Its like a fishing net with hay all woven in it.
Works awesome and its not that expensive
Old 10-19-2017, 09:06 AM

I did a quick look and the stuff looks interesting, do you have any idea with local suppliers in the states you can find it at Home Depot usa.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/8-ft-x-11...1125/204268230
Old 10-19-2017, 09:07 AM

Nilex may also have something similar to what you're looking for.
Old 10-19-2017, 09:59 AM

looks like they do

http://nilex.com/products/erosion-control-blankets

and another place

https://ca.brockwhite.com/catalog/ma...kets/2-0200990
Old 10-19-2017, 11:34 AM

Default better still

Stop buying all the stupid dark camo colors they sell in Canada that are designed for swamped timber and hardwood. Wait until the next sale at Rogers sporting goods in the US and buy all the prairie grass colored camo as they usually discount it as it is of no use to them in timber pond country.
Mine was $135 a few years ago on clearance and $35 to ship to Canada.
Then all you have to do is add a bit of local vegetation instead of trying to cover the whole blind because it doesn't fit in.

https://www.rogerssportinggoods.com/...ss-blades.html
Old 10-19-2017, 12:31 PM

I have Nilex coir matting. May make a hay bale blind. The stuff looks pretty good....cover and color wise.
Old 10-19-2017, 01:04 PM

Weird, the Roger's ad you picked is 349, the same blind on Avery site is 279. And it doesn't come with the raffia on it in either case. Ground Force can be had in Edmonton for 360.00. Methinks Roger's screwed up, Finisher is 349, that looks right.
However, their deal on Killerweed is OK. Just remember they have a 25.00 int'l shipping fee, not shown until final checkout.
Khaki Ground Force is 200 US at Prairiewind. 240 for the Blades version, see they don't show the ghillie covers anymore, I have one for peas, for the Ground Force, if someone is interested in it, don't own a blind it fits anymore. Works well if you leave it on the blind and dedicate it for peas.
Old 10-19-2017, 02:27 PM

Default no savings on regular price

Yup why I wait until end of season sale as I said and my Final approach pro in prairie grass was $135 US and $35 shipping. Their duck season ends late February early march the sales usually hit on leftovers
Old 10-20-2017, 01:01 PM

I hear you there. Tried to convince the insurance people it would be better to wait til March/April to get into the spring sales period. Some stuff wasn't worth waiting for, some was, and the freight cost went up just before that period this year. Freight is not like it used to be 5 yrs ago. The store prices have not changed much at all. That 135.00 blind is now about 175.00 Cdn and freight will likely be 100.00 US, call that 130.00 Canuck for arguments sake (and Rogers adds 25.00 US handling fee), so there is 330-340.00 for a blind that is 360.00 here. Plus, you have to call them to order it. And they are likely not made in the US, so there may be some duty, if customs decides to look at it. I ran a few lists on various sites down there in April, when some of the sales were on, you had to really need it and NOT be able to get it up here, to justify buying down there. There were just as good or better prices here, depending on what and where you were buying. Today on Cabelas sale, you can get two NF Mobiles for less than that, much the same blind, different material on it, which can be painted and mudded and covered up with raffia. Right now, I would probably buy the raffia out of the US, find something else you want, only available from there, and make an order out of that.