Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-16-2017, 06:26 PM

Default Truck Winter Tires

We've beat the all season tire discussion to death, but how about Winters?

Im in need of a new set this season and curious what everyone else is running.
Old 10-16-2017, 06:36 PM

Studded Nokians on all 4 corners
Old 10-16-2017, 06:46 PM

Can’t go wrong with Nokian.
Old 10-16-2017, 06:47 PM

Studded Nokia hakkapeliitta lt2. Had them on my 2500. They would go farther in two wheel then my toyo mt's in four wheel. The only issue I had with them was balancing because I had the 35"x17" long story short it was an issue with kal tire not the tires themselves.
Old 10-16-2017, 06:50 PM

I've had Yokohama Geolandar I-Ts for a couple of winters, I've been happy with their performance.
Old 10-16-2017, 08:32 PM
Banned

Sigma Arctic claw . Studded
Old 10-16-2017, 08:32 PM

Default Tires

Studded 235 85 r16 Dura tracs on a Chevy K2500 HD

Tall and thin, just like I like em
Old 10-16-2017, 11:28 PM

I agree that Nokian tires are amazing!

I've never ran studs before on any winter tires I've had. How long will the studs hold up before they wear down?

Do studs make a big difference for city driving?
Old 10-17-2017, 01:24 AM
Banned

For dedicated winter tires, you can't go wrong with either Nokian ___ or Bridgestone Blizzaks. Preferably studded.

I run General Grabber AT2 on my Tacoma though, year-round... Studded too !
Old 10-17-2017, 01:29 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty99 View Post

Do studs make a big difference for city driving?
Does it make a big difference if you lose control in the city, versus somewhere else ?

Studs always provide more grip than without them... But there's always a threshold.
Old 10-17-2017, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J0HN_R1 View Post
Does it make a big difference if you lose control in the city, versus somewhere else ?

Studs always provide more grip than without them... But there's always a threshold.

I will clarify my question . City streets tend to be plowed and sanded better in my area than rural highways . My thought was that running studs if 90% of my driving is in city would wear them down quickly. I am sure they make a difference if a person travels less maintained roads.

I've hear of people wearing the studs completely down in one winter driving season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-17-2017, 08:04 AM

Another vote for Nokian Hakkepelliitas LT's as dedicated winters. Studded or not they're stellar. Mine were not studded and except on sheer ice I doubt much difference exists. That being alsaid I've transitioned to the Cooper AT/W's and have had them 11 months now, they're a good tire in my experience so far. They won't match the Nokians for braking for instance but I have to account for the fact that I went from 225/75/16 Nokians to 245/75/16 Coopers, so there's a tread width difference at play as well. Not an apples to apples comparison.
Old 10-17-2017, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty99 View Post
I will clarify my question . City streets tend to be plowed and sanded better in my area than rural highways . My thought was that running studs if 90% of my driving is in city would wear them down quickly. I am sure they make a difference if a person travels less maintained roads.

I've hear of people wearing the studs completely down in one winter driving season.

I have the studded Nokian Haka's. Used to run non-studded. It's a world of difference with the studs.

First, there's enough of an ice film or skiff of snow dust on city roads just from vehicle exhaust that even when they seem dry and clear, they're not. Studs cut through that, like sand on your icy sidewalk.

Second, seems to me studs wear down slower than tires. Maybe if you're tromping the gas and spinning every time you start from a stop, they'd wear down quicker, but I don't drive like that so I can't say for sure. I just know I've worn a couple of sets of tires out, and the studs still look great.

Go for studded winters. Probably any brand is good, but I'd recommend the Nokians.
Old 10-17-2017, 08:48 AM

Studded Nokian Haks. All of vehicles have the Haks, 3 sets studded, 4 sets not. The studs help quite a bit, but even without they are spectacular. Wouldn't use anything else anymore. Tried Blizzaks and Michelin X Ice. OK, but not as good.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 10-17-2017, 08:57 AM

I had Nokia’s Hakkapelittas non-studded which were good. Friend who sells tires talked me into studded Firestone Winterforce which are really good.
Old 10-17-2017, 09:02 AM

I used studded Firestone Winterforce LT on my truck, and it was great. Excellent winter tire, I found they had larger voids vs all other dedicated winter tires, so they would clear deeper snow better. I never had any issue with traction (except the self-inflicted kind), even through some of the worst storms over the passes.

I should say, that was a 2014 F150HD, that I didn't tow with in the winter, but I don't imagine that tire would have any issues at all.
Old 10-17-2017, 12:32 PM

Duratracs are king

Old 10-17-2017, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TraskDaddy1 View Post
Duratracs are king

it was inevitable that someone would bring up the "king"..lol.. Great summer tire.
Old 10-17-2017, 01:44 PM

Hankook I pike LT on my F350

Blizzack on my wives van and when I owned F 150

Both were very good and much better than stock AT and P rated .
Old 10-17-2017, 02:47 PM

I run Duratracs year round but if I switched to dedicated winter tires they would definitely be Nokia Hakipilattens. My wife runs them year round on her 4Runner, 90% city and a little country and they are awesome. I run Nokia WRG-2s on the car year round. Great high speed and winter performance so would make a good SUV option.
Old 10-17-2017, 07:38 PM

I have the cooper discoverer mud and snow studded, and they are awsome, drove from airdrie to pincher every week last winter and were awsome.
Old 10-17-2017, 09:45 PM

I’ve run toyo observe studless, hankook studded general Altimax arctic studless and just got some studded duratracs for my work truck. For the price and performance I love the general Altima’s Arctic’s. I run them on my pick up and just bought some for my Jeep.
Old 10-17-2017, 11:58 PM

These Generals look appealing, the ones I've seen on display seem to have slightly wider tread voids than what the pictures seem to show. The pattern reminds me somewhat of the previous generation Nokian Hakk LT's I had:

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...RatingsReviews
Old 10-18-2017, 10:23 AM

Studded hakkas are all i would buy if you are looking for a true winter tire.
Old 10-18-2017, 10:41 AM

A studded tire is just that, makes no sense if your studding a expensive tire. The tire is no longer doing its intended job once you stud it, the studs are doing the work. IMO, stud the cheapest tires possible.
Old 10-18-2017, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Anzac View Post
A studded tire is just that, makes no sense if your studding a expensive tire. The tire is no longer doing its intended job once you stud it, the studs are doing the work. IMO, stud the cheapest tires possible.
Interesting theory.

How would cheapies work in a few inches of snow, though?
Old 10-18-2017, 11:29 AM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Anzac View Post
Completely untrue... Whether or not your tire is studded, the sipes in the tread design are still sweeping the surface of the ice when your tire is slipping or spinning, and the enhanced complex rubber compounding of the more premium tires is still remaining softer than that of the cheaper tires also enhancing traction. The studs do for sure add another layer to the ice traction, but it does not negate the other features.

That said, cheaper studded tires can still be a good way to go for those looking to not spend as much money and still have real amounts of traction, but that does not take away from the fact that the other features built into a tire still have a purpose and effect...
Old 10-18-2017, 04:56 PM

I'm happy with my Bridgestone W965 winters on my 3/4 ton diesel. They have worn much better than I expected. Others mentioned the studded Hakkapellita and they are likely a step above from what I've heard, but the price is also way above the Bridgestones I'm running.
Old 10-18-2017, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba 96 View Post
I have the cooper discoverer mud and snow studded, and they are awesome,.
I like my Cooper's as well....

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.
Old 10-18-2017, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tirebob View Post
Completely untrue... Whether or not your tire is studded, the sipes in the tread design are still sweeping the surface of the ice when your tire is slipping or spinning, and the enhanced complex rubber compounding of the more premium tires is still remaining softer than that of the cheaper tires also enhancing traction. The studs do for sure add another layer to the ice traction, but it does not negate the other features.

That said, cheaper studded tires can still be a good way to go for those looking to not spend as much money and still have real amounts of traction, but that does not take away from the fact that the other features built into a tire still have a purpose and effect...
So studs don't contribute to the loss of any dry traction?