Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 10-18-2017, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
The simple fact is, that all some people care about is killing their two roosters, and they will do anything that they can legally get away with to accomplish that. Yet other people go to the release sites to get some fresh air and exercise, or to give their dog a workout, and having birds to take home is a bonus. For me, watching the dog work, and getting some exercise are why I visit the sites, and I prefer to avoid the actual releases, and the resulting frenzy that often accompanies them.
^^^^THIS^^^^^

I'm not a crack shot, my dog only works on her instinct with no training whatsoever. For me it's not about the kill or the limit, it's about the experience. One of these days I'm going to go look for those wild birds everyone talks about. I do enjoy seeing the birds and even getting one, but if I don't I sure as hell won't sit and wait for the chicken-wagon to show up. I'll stop at the Hutterite colony on the way home and buy a bird or two if I needed.

BW
Old 10-18-2017, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief16 View Post
I have never been to a pheasant release site, but how many pheasants are released when the truck shows up? Just curious and trying to picture what goes on at the sites, thanks!
here's a video for you that will give you a picture
I hope we can always have this opportunity, it does make for a great morning with or without dogs,btw, I did volunteer here, I dont know exactly how many we released, could of been a couple hundred and I did go the next day to hunt cheers wb

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Ctumlukio4
Old 10-18-2017, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Bounty View Post
here's a video for you that will give you a picture
I hope we can always have this opportunity, it does make for a great morning with or without dogs,btw, I did volunteer here, I dont know exactly how many we released, could of been a couple hundred and I did go the next day to hunt cheers wb

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Ctumlukio4
Oh that is awesome! Thanks for the link. I am from Wetaskiwin so Daysland would not be too far of a trip for me.
Old 10-18-2017, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigwoodsman View Post
I thought I'd start this new thread.
Personally I find it repulsive that so called hunters would chase after the release truck. How is that sporting?
BW
It aint sporting its meat shooting, but if it is legal and the sponsors dont diasagree....
Rob
Old 10-18-2017, 02:45 PM

No BS, years ago near Brooks i watched hunters shoot them coming off the truck feet away from the workers. Crazy.
Two weeks ago my brother went and once he fired his shotgun he was surrounded by 5 separate groups of hunters who came looking for any left overs. My brother picked up his dog and headed elsewhere.

I got no problem at all with people hunting release sites and for anyone with a young dog its good exposure.

On a side note I just got back from the annual pheasant hunt and wild bird numbers where good this year.
Old 10-18-2017, 06:36 PM

Personally I’m against ground swatting as it puts dogs in significant danger

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-18-2017, 06:45 PM

We go the other way if we see the release truck where we are hunting .
We also don't crowd other hunters
Cat
Old 10-19-2017, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Obviously many people haven't heard of this unwritten rule about leaving freshly released birds for an hour, or they just Don't care. When I ha e been at a site during a release, which was several times last fall, most people that saw the truck followed it to where it released, and started shooting as soon as the truck left. Several people didn't even wait for the truck to leave before they opened fire. I watched some released birds fly for several hundred yards while some ran around on the ground close to the truck until the shooting started. An once the shooting started, many people realized that a release was happening, and headed directly toward the gun fire. I chose to stay well away until the shooting subsided.

It could be more on an ignorance as well. The ‘unwritten rules’ are often missed by people with little experience or knowledge of dangerous behaviors.

A little training and signage may go a long way?

Never been on a pheasant hunt, but would like to try. Don’t have a dog and that what has always deterred me.

Like many others, it’s about the experience hunting for me, and shooting fish in a barrel isn’t my thing. Agree that there should be a time out period after release to ensure the safety of the release staff and give the birds an opportunity to settle.
Old 10-19-2017, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisch View Post
It could be more on an ignorance as well. The ‘unwritten rules’ are often missed by people with little experience or knowledge of dangerous behaviors.

A little training and signage may go a long way?

Never been on a pheasant hunt, but would like to try. Don’t have a dog and that what has always deterred me.

Like many others, it’s about the experience hunting for me, and shooting fish in a barrel isn’t my thing. Agree that there should be a time out period after release to ensure the safety of the release staff and give the birds an opportunity to settle.
That's a good thought there Bisch, maybe when filling out the harvest cards we should have a list of hunting etiquette such as you would see on a golf course scorecard.
Old 10-19-2017, 06:45 AM

I think also there needs to be some documentation in that we ourselves should meet the truck periodically at different sites and grab a bit of video to show the fish cops and ACA. Nattering about the evevnts on here without any proof is just heresay and doesn't hold any water when asking for changes to programs..
Old 10-19-2017, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvin View Post
I think also there needs to be some documentation in that we ourselves should meet the truck periodically at different sites and grab a bit of video to show the fish cops and ACA. Nattering about the evevnts on here without any proof is just heresay and doesn't hold any water when asking for changes to programs..
I would think all the ACA would have to do is interview the release truck drivers.

BW
Old 10-20-2017, 09:42 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigwoodsman View Post
I would think all the ACA would have to do is interview the release truck drivers.

BW
I have had some conversations with the driver of the pheasant release truck recently. Just last night I mentioned this thread and also other posts about problems at the release sites. He told me he releases pheasants at 16 release sites and has been doing so for three years. He also told me he is the only driver doing the release's for the ACA. Sometimes he has someone along for the ride, but there are no volunteers to help him do the release's.
He said that he has NEVER, let me repeat that, he has NEVER had any bad or unsafe experiance's with hunters while doing a release.
He was a little miffed to hear about some of the stories being spread about "hunting the chicken wagon". The phrase "PURE BS", might have been used, but phone signal was a little staticky so don't quote me on that one.
Old 10-20-2017, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterninja View Post
I have had some conversations with the driver of the pheasant release truck recently. Just last night I mentioned this thread and also other posts about problems at the release sites. He told me he releases pheasants at 16 release sites and has been doing so for three years. He also told me he is the only driver doing the release's for the ACA. Sometimes he has someone along for the ride, but there are no volunteers to help him do the release's.
He said that he has NEVER, let me repeat that, he has NEVER had any bad or unsafe experiance's with hunters while doing a release.
He was a little miffed to hear about some of the stories being spread about "hunting the chicken wagon". The phrase "PURE BS", might have been used, but phone signal was a little staticky so don't quote me on that one.

So are you saying that this poster is lying about being a release truck driver, as well as lying about what he is telling us?

Quote:
I drive a release truck and have seen everything even a bird shot shortly after leaving the hand of our volunteer. Now I will leave the area if it is being hunted because of the danger to our volunteers.

But usually there is an unwritten rule that you leave freshly released birds for an hour before hunting.

In addition, the birds being released by ACA fly forever after being released. They travel quite far and are very good at eluding hunters and frustrating dogs. This isn’t A grocery store this is a hunt.

Enjoy the sport and the great feelings you get being outdoors. Be safe and respectful.
And by the way, the ACA releases at 39 sites, so who do you suppose drives for the other 23 sites? Obviously someone told you something that wasn't correct, or you misunderstood what you were told.

http://www.ab-conservation.com/progr...lease-program/

Quote:
ACA plans to release 26,000 pheasants on over 39 sites between September and November in 2017.

Last edited by elkhunter11; 10-20-2017 at 10:30 AM.
Old 10-20-2017, 10:31 AM

So in watching the video, am I to assume hunters would be say, 100 yrds out from the truck and start taking birds as they fly away? Not a bird hunter and never been so am trying picture whats meant by truck hunters.
Old 10-20-2017, 10:32 AM
Banned

Quote:
So are you saying that this poster is lying about being a release truck driver, as well as lying about what he is telling us?

And by the way, the ACA releases at 39 sites, so who drives for the other 23 sites?

http://www.ab-conservation.com/progr...lease-program/
Twist away Elk. I am only telling you what one release driver told me. I am not talking about anyone else or any other sites. And I certainly never called anyone a liar.
Though it does sound like your calling me a liar, which doesen't surprise me. I'd really like to know why you insist on painting release sites like war zones, or the wild west?

I really should put you on ignore, but then how would I know what new twists you are putting on peoples posts?

Last edited by waterninja; 10-20-2017 at 10:39 AM.
Old 10-20-2017, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Twist away Elk. I am only telling you what one release driver told me. I am not talking about anyone else or any other sites. And I certainly never called anyone a liar.
Though it does sound like your calling me a liar, which doesen't surprise me. I'd really like to know why you insist on painting release sites like war zones, or the wild west?

I really should put you on ignore, but then how would I know what new twists you are putting on peoples posts?
I am not twisting anything, I am just pointing out the obvious errors in your post. You plainly stated that the driver you spoke to, told you that he was the only driver, and that he released at 16 sites. The ACA site states that they release at 39 sites, so your statement is obviously incorrect. So either the driver provided you with incorrect information, or you misunderstood what he told you. Either way , what you posted is not true.
Old 10-20-2017, 11:35 AM
Banned

Quote:
I am not twisting anything, I am just pointing out the obvious errors in your post. You plainly stated that the driver you spoke to, told you that he was the only driver, and that he released at 16 sites. The ACA site states that they release at 39 sites, so your statement is obviously incorrect. So either the driver provided you with incorrect information, or you misunderstood what he told you. Either way , what you posted is not true.
I suppose he means that he is the only driver at 16 sites for 3 years. I'll ask him. I will also ask him if he has any horror stories from other drivers.
Old 10-20-2017, 11:43 AM
Banned

As long as it's legal I have no moral dilemma with not coming home empty handed. Sure it's a sport but given how hard it is most of the time I will never pass up an easy opportunity.
Old 10-20-2017, 12:02 PM

Quote:
I suppose he means that he is the only driver at 16 sites for 3 years. I'll ask him. I will also ask him if he has any horror stories from other drivers.
yes I would ask again, and maybe you missed my post with video, but we are all volunteers and the other part to this release is, you must before hand go and get your birds from the supplier and that takes sometime to catch and cage the birds, no driver would do this alone.
Old 10-20-2017, 12:07 PM

go back to no hunting on Sunday and release on Sunday.
Old 10-20-2017, 04:08 PM

Default hunting the pheasant release truck

I have also spoken with Tim several times he has also told me the same thing he does all the releasing and has never had a problem with any hunters shooting birds when he releases . I also have witnessed many releases myself this bs about release sights has to stop.Maybe some members should hunt somewhere else if they are not happy
Old 10-20-2017, 04:45 PM

I saw a release today . Driver did an awesome job of driving out and releasing into cover. There was only a couple of other people there. They all waited to driver went out . I watched for about 30 minutes. Great dog dog work no issues.
Old 10-20-2017, 05:15 PM

that's exactly the same thing I have witness every time!
Old 10-20-2017, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinwahkly View Post
I saw a release today . Driver did an awesome job of driving out and releasing into cover. There was only a couple of other people there. They all waited to driver went out . I watched for about 30 minutes. Great dog dog work no issues.
Excellent. It's nice when they spread things out amongst the site. Glad you had a good day.
Old 10-20-2017, 05:23 PM

Too much contradicting of posters... i.e. "My experience is x, so your experience y cannot possibly be true." Can we please be grown up enough to realize that people have different experiences??? Sheesh.

This was going to be a tire fire from the start.

Closed.
Closed Thread