Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-09-2014, 05:10 PM

Default Ground blind radar

Anyone else see the speed trap on highway 16 at the Elk Island Park entrance on monday ?

Radar Gun operator was in the ditch in a ground blind and they were pulling guys over a bit down the road from there.

Brilliant tactic, but I hope the guy in the blind had a can of bug spray.

What's next? Laser radar in a tree stand along the highway?

Be careful out there.
Old 08-09-2014, 05:47 PM
Banned

Sounds serious...there must be quite a few accidents/motor vehicle deaths along that stretch that don't get reported for them to be concentrating on that stretch so closely. They always used to have a photoradar truck parked on Hwy2 by Ellerslie too.

I know they wouldn't set up there just because it's a speed change and they're trying to make some coin.

I always make sure to slow down a good 20km/hr under the limit whenever I pass radar traps.
Old 08-09-2014, 07:07 PM

Great way to get run over when a vehicle leaves the roadway due to blowout, driver fatigue, avoiding a deer...
Old 08-09-2014, 07:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugatika View Post
Sounds serious...there must be quite a few accidents/motor vehicle deaths along that stretch that don't get reported for them to be concentrating on that stretch so closely. They always used to have a photoradar truck parked on Hwy2 by Ellerslie too.

I know they wouldn't set up there just because it's a speed change and they're trying to make some coin.

I always make sure to slow down a good 20km/hr under the limit whenever I pass radar traps.
If the EPS wants to make some serious coin they should head west on Ellerslie Road and start stopping all those broken down dump trucks that pass by and near the the Terwilliger police station.

I wonder if some of those tandems even have breaks the way the cruise through stop signs. The concrete pumpers and their crews are just the same.
Old 08-09-2014, 07:21 PM

I've seen pictures of lidar/laser enforcement in BC where they are "pretending" to be working on lights or cutting tree's in the lift basket, they even wear the PPE, vests, hardhats, but are aiming the gun at cars

Revenue Canadian Mounted Police.

Last night I reported a driver that I thought was drunk, I was on my way to bonnyville east on 28 near smoky lake and called it in, woman was all over the road, passing when unsafe, almost head-on'd with a pickup pulling a holiday trailer and a semi in under 2 minutes, caught up to her about 10k from bonny and called it in again. (I called multiple times, every-time she almost hit the ditch or another car)

they caught her and I pulled up behind and they said she didn't look intoxicated, just a realllllly bad driver, I saw her almost hit the ditch 5 times, pushing cars and trucks into the shoulder, weaving back and forth... I guess not all drunk drivers are drunk drivers, they do make them THAT bad. wish i had my dash cam yesterday

sorry for the derail...

Last edited by zero; 08-09-2014 at 07:28 PM.
Old 08-09-2014, 09:57 PM

Ahh good to see the police doing a great job hiding I the trees. What's next?
Old 08-09-2014, 11:02 PM

[QUOTE=rugatika;2514042]Sounds serious...there must be quite a few accidents/motor vehicle deaths along that stretch that don't get reported for them to be concentrating on that stretch so closely. They always used to have a photoradar truck parked on Hwy2 by Ellerslie too.

I always make sure to slow down a good 20km/hr under the limit whenever I pass radar traps.[/QUO

There's only been 5 people killed and and numerous other accidents there in the last two years.,..so I'm sure its just a money grab......

Mack
Old 08-09-2014, 11:05 PM

I saw the title to this thread and thought you hunters in the Northern Hemisphere had adapted some sort of marine radar to your ground blinds to detect game movements nearby
Old 08-09-2014, 11:28 PM
Banned

Map 2 highlights locations with higher concentrations of fatal and injury collisions in 2012. Fatal and injury collisions were most prevalent in the downtown core, the Whyte Avenue entertainment area, and at the intersection of Whitemud Drive and Calgary Trail / Gateway Boulevard. Some fatal and injury hot spots in 2012 included: Whyte Avenue (82 Avenue) & 104
Street/Gateway Boulevard, Whitemud Drive & Calgary Trail/Gateway Boulevard, 111 Avenue & 101 Street/97 Street and 118 Avenue & 82 Street.

http://www.edmonton.ca/transportatio...ual_Report.pdf
Old 08-10-2014, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugatika View Post
Map 2 highlights locations with higher concentrations of fatal and injury collisions in 2012. Fatal and injury collisions were most prevalent in the downtown core, the Whyte Avenue entertainment area, and at the intersection of Whitemud Drive and Calgary Trail / Gateway Boulevard. Some fatal and injury hot spots in 2012 included: Whyte Avenue (82 Avenue) & 104
Street/Gateway Boulevard, Whitemud Drive & Calgary Trail/Gateway Boulevard, 111 Avenue & 101 Street/97 Street and 118 Avenue & 82 Street.

http://www.edmonton.ca/transportatio...ual_Report.pdf
That is fine for inside the city dose that mean we they should not worry about high fatality areas out side the city?

Mack
Old 08-10-2014, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wastednights View Post
I saw the title to this thread and thought you hunters in the Northern Hemisphere had adapted some sort of marine radar to your ground blinds to detect game movements nearby
What I thought too, started to get excited!
Old 08-10-2014, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greylynx View Post
If the EPS wants to make some serious coin they should head west on Ellerslie Road and start stopping all those broken down dump trucks that pass by and near the the Terwilliger police station.

I wonder if some of those tandems even have breaks the way the cruise through stop signs. The concrete pumpers and their crews are just the same.
They should put a radar trap on Rabbit Hill Road between Terwillegar Drive & 23rd Ave. they'll catch every 2nd car going way over the speed limit. Both directions.
Old 08-10-2014, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy honker View Post
Anyone else see the speed trap on highway 16 at the Elk Island Park entrance on monday ?

Radar Gun operator was in the ditch in a ground blind and they were pulling guys over a bit down the road from there.

Brilliant tactic, but I hope the guy in the blind had a can of bug spray.

What's next? Laser radar in a tree stand along the highway?

Be careful out there.
Saw them 3 weeks ago and went to pull over excited that I found a blind in the middle of the highway lol. As I got closer I realized there was RCMP inside, sneaky.