Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-12-2014, 08:58 AM
Banned

Default How to get into Power Engineering Sait/Nait?

I called into Sait they have 700 people on the "waiting list" and Nait has "1400" on theirs. Do they have classrooms according to amount of students or how many students actually get in in both schools for the semesters? If not those 2 school what are some other good schools for the course? I know Keyano in Fort Mc is known but living expenses is something i'm worried about..
Old 03-12-2014, 09:01 AM

Get in Line..... Bring a lunch.
Old 03-12-2014, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseknuckle View Post
Get in Line..... Bring a lunch.
And change your handle!
Old 03-12-2014, 09:49 AM

I would suggest Portage college in Lac La biche, There program is quick and they have contracts with MEG, Cenovus, and STAT oil for work practiums where you have a good chance of getting hired on after..
Old 03-12-2014, 06:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoPat View Post
I would suggest Portage college in Lac La biche, There program is quick and they have contracts with MEG, Cenovus, and STAT oil for work practiums where you have a good chance of getting hired on after..
Perfect, thanks for the info!

Also just outta curiosity, how many classrooms of how many students are there in SAIT/NAIT for these programs? like are they 10 classes of 50 students for each facility orrr?
Old 03-12-2014, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funhole5000 View Post
I called into Sait they have 700 people on the "waiting list" and Nait has "1400" on theirs. Do they have classrooms according to amount of students or how many students actually get in in both schools for the semesters? If not those 2 school what are some other good schools for the course? I know Keyano in Fort Mc is known but living expenses is something i'm worried about..
holy ****! well so much for my power engineering dream
Old 03-12-2014, 06:26 PM

Have real good marks. Upgrade if you have to. My son went through SAIT a few years ago and loves his job, makes real good coin too. Shift work though, be prepared for that.
Old 03-12-2014, 06:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by camping4life View Post
holy ****! well so much for my power engineering dream
When the guy at the counter at SAIT said 700 people I just thought to myself, "Well there goes my future". Then when I heard from NAIT I just hung up the phone without saying another word.
Old 03-12-2014, 06:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatlandliver View Post
Have real good marks. Upgrade if you have to. My son went through SAIT a few years ago and loves his job, makes real good coin too. Shift work though, be prepared for that.
Props to dad for raising his kid well haha, my grades are about 75% - 80% for my required classes.
Old 03-12-2014, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funhole5000 View Post
When the guy at the counter at SAIT said 700 people I just thought to myself, "Well there goes my future". Then when I heard from NAIT I just hung up the phone without saying another word.
no kidding, i dont blame you!
I thought about getting into this for quite some time as I already have 1/2 my 4th which really doesn't attribute to much tho in the gas field.
I guess i'll stick with machining for now lol
Old 03-12-2014, 07:47 PM

Sounds as bad as trying to be a oil and gas operator

Even with extensive experience in mechanics and oil & gas I still have only managed 1 interview with CNRL lol.

Hopefully you can find a way to get into the PE course and begin your career
Old 03-12-2014, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutbug View Post
Sounds as bad as trying to be a oil and gas operator

Even with extensive experience in mechanics and oil & gas I still have only managed 1 interview with CNRL lol.

Hopefully you can find a way to get into the PE course and begin your career
Gotta buddy up with the foremans daughter and you're set lol
Old 03-12-2014, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeaspell View Post
Gotta buddy up with the foremans daughter and your set lol
When I had my interview with CNRL I straight up asked about that rumor that you need to know the right person and they said "yeah you have to know someone working for the company or a real good connection"

A guy from this site actually hooked me up with the right contact but thats as far as I got.
Old 03-12-2014, 07:56 PM

I am attending the Power Engineer certificate at NAIT right now. They are running 3 diploma class of 30ish and 1 certificate class of 30. So about 120 students total. The certificate gets you your 4th class and the A part of your 3rd. The diploma gets you your 3rd class and first half of second. Its a good program but pretty busy. I just left the army after 12 years, so returning to school was eye opening. But i enjoy it. If you can get in the diploma program as NAIT does not support the Certificate as much. You're on your own for job search and such while they help the diploma students. PM if you have any more questions. BTW, i dont think they have a waiting list for the program. Im pretty sure it is all competition based.
Old 03-16-2014, 01:59 PM

You can try Medicine Hat College, their 2 year program will get you half a 2nd. Their admissions people are not very good to deal with but the course will get you what you need and apartments here are cheap. I have a 9 yr old 2 bedroom, 2 full bath with balcony apartment for 700/month in a great area. Won't get that in Edm or Calgary, much less Ft Mac. Job market here sucks bad, but that won't matter since you will be a student. Worth a shot.

PS they told me a 75% in each class needed would probably be good enough to get in.
Old 03-16-2014, 05:00 PM
Gone Hunting

Sorry folks fungihole was trying for a second shot at troll of the year.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 03-16-2014, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post
Sorry folks fungihole was trying for a second shot at troll of the year.
well he got lots to bite, kinda sad as these folks are just trying to help
Old 07-16-2014, 01:01 AM

Hey,

I have a HBSc in Chemistry and still cant seem to get into the oil industry..I have been thinking of going back to school for power engineering and was wondering if I would be able to get a job right out of this program.
Old 07-16-2014, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan D View Post
Hey,

I have a HBSc in Chemistry and still cant seem to get into the oil industry..I have been thinking of going back to school for power engineering and was wondering if I would be able to get a job right out of this program.
Hey Dan,

I just did the Certificate at Nait. Got my 4th class and i wrote half of my 3rd class. I still can't find anything. Even with 12 years military experience to help me. They tell you at school that employer will be fighting for you. Lol BS. Don't get me wrong, its a great course to take but expect to have to put work in to find a good job.
Old 08-10-2014, 03:11 AM

Hey Ptemomo, Did you take the certificate or diploma program? Also does the school not help you find a job? And does coop not also help get a job? How long have you been on the job hunt for now? And also how is the program itself?
Old 08-10-2014, 04:28 AM

Default I

My youngest son is starting his 4th Pt A through Lakelands correspondence, which starts in 2 weeks.
He should have his first ABSA paper before his 18th birthday.
Gotta get in early IMO.

TBark
Old 08-10-2014, 05:30 AM

Lakeland college in lloydminster might be an option as well. They have a recently constructed new third class power lab as well.
Old 08-10-2014, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyD111 View Post
You can try Medicine Hat College, their 2 year program will get you half a 2nd. Their admissions people are not very good to deal with but the course will get you what you need and apartments here are cheap. I have a 9 yr old 2 bedroom, 2 full bath with balcony apartment for 700/month in a great area. Won't get that in Edm or Calgary, much less Ft Mac. Job market here sucks bad, but that won't matter since you will be a student. Worth a shot.

PS they told me a 75% in each class needed would probably be good enough to get in.
Standards at Hat College are a tad higher than 75% average.
Try 85% ish
And you still have to interview with student advisor before acceptance.
I have insider info...
And yes there are line ups of young guys begging to get in.....most know absolutely nothing about it other than they know another guy who took it and makes big $$$.
Old 08-10-2014, 09:01 AM
Banned

So, if there's a ton of Power Engineers trying to get jobs will it drive wages down at all or are they pretty much locked in?
Old 08-10-2014, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugatika View Post
So, if there's a ton of Power Engineers trying to get jobs will it drive wages down at all or are they pretty much locked in?
Lots are locked in for union guys, some are short term contractors, etc. I don't see wages going down, if/when there are lots of operators things may slow down, for now it's full steam ahead......pun intended. Check out trade demand projected for the next 10yrs, it'll be awhile before this ride slows down.
Old 08-10-2014, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan D View Post
Hey Ptemomo, Did you take the certificate or diploma program? Also does the school not help you find a job? And does coop not also help get a job? How long have you been on the job hunt for now? And also how is the program itself?

I did the certificate program. I like the program a lot and learned tons. There is no coop for the certificate, only the diploma. As for NAIt helping you finding a job, they couldn't care less. They haven't done a thing to help.

All the teachers will tell you that employers will line at the door to give you a job lol. But unless you have a 3rd class or even a 2nd now, good luck.

I have now my 4th and half my 3rd. I finally found a good job, but not as an operator. So i wont get any steam time to complete my 3rd any time soon. I thought i was very employable with my military experience but they won't even look at you if you have no operating experience. I probably could have got a building operator job in the city but that's not really what i was looking for.
Old 08-10-2014, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugatika View Post

wages will probably do the exact opposite, as the old codgers leave these days companies are grasping at straws to keep them on and hire new guys at the same time. Top rate were I am is 52 $ and there is people leaving for more money.... If you include collecting a pension for15-25 years after working our yearly haul is something like 180-250k value for every year worked