Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-01-2014, 04:02 PM

Default Rant about Canada Post, and DHL

I like to think of myself as a patient person a very patient person. You have to be when your forced to rely upon couriers to get parts for your prosthetic devices in a city where couriers just plain out don't give a **** about trying to deliver packages. I live in Fort McMurray, every month or so I get parts shipped to me from Calgary, If they are coming by any of those 3 companies I know I wont be getting them.

It actually doesn't even matter what I am having shipped to me, in the case of today it is a chair. DHL was the courier in question today, and apparently at 2:03pm they "attempted" to deliver my package. Funny, because I was home, I live in an apartment building no one buzzed, I have no calls registered from the building on my phone. There is no yellow card saying sorry we missed you. It is just a digitally generated message saying sorry we missed you. Which means that card will show up sometime later today when the delivery driver actually decides to come by here.

This is a standard practice in this city, Canada post has done this to me numerous times where they will generate a digital shipping notice saying I wasn't home and then drop off the actual physical card later on. It is ****ing infuriating to say the least. If you don't want to actually try to deliver the package then don't be a delivery person. People PAY to have stuff shipped to their door. I didn't pay the extra 20$'s for shipping the item express (3 days from Vancouver.) to have a person generate a card and a customer service agent to tell me they will try again on Tuesday. (makes it 7 days) About 3 weeks ago I was actively tracking a package through Canada post and another through UPS. the UPS package was my new computer shipped through memory express weight 83lbs total. The package through Canada Post a Fountain pen weight 400Grams. My UPS package arrived @ 2:05PM I signed for it the guys were great. I go and check online the status of my Canada post delivery. Attempted Delivery @ 2:07pm left card....

So apparently I was home @ 2:05pm for my UPS delivery, a delivery that they had to make 2 trips for, but not home for the Canada Post delivery @ 2:07pm. I live on the bottom floor in my building I am literally 20' away from the front door but the effort exerted to dial my buzzer and walk the additional 20' with a package that weighed 400 Grams was too much. Or so it was decided it was too much @ 2:07pm. The delivery person actually didn't show up to post the card until sometime after 5PM. The card had 2:07pm written on it. I know the rough window where the card showed up because I left my house to pick up some groceries sometime after 5 and got home at around 6PM and found that card waiting for me.

Same crap is going down with DHL today, they registered that they tried to deliver a package to me today @ 2:03pm. There is no card currently on the outside door to my building or currently hanging on my door knob outside right now, It is 3:50PM as of typing this. That means that they will show up sometime later today, quickly put their card up and get out of here as fast as possible.

As a personal message to Canada post and DHL who have discussed additional fee's for delivering items in Fort McMurray. NO your not entitled to additional fee's just for this city until your delivery drivers actually try to deliver peoples packages for once. I am not the only person who has this problem in Fort McMurray it is a city wide problem and your staff of couriers is terrible at their jobs or they don't give a crap about their jobs. Further if they decide that sometime during the day that they aren't gonna bother even trying to deliver a package you might want to tell them to not digitally generate the failed to deliver notice until sometime AROUND when they are going to hang the tag. I am not a stupid person and niether are the rest of your customers in this city. We are able to see the tracking information were able to see when you generate that tag, make the two times line up so it isn't blatantly obvious to us that you don't give a crap about doing your job.

I called Canada post to issue a complaint over that incident, and funny thing is, the gentleman I spoke to when I mentioned using UPS for my vital has to show up stuff and their tendency to actually deliver; he said, "I can't tell you not to do that if its working for you, It is probably best for you to do that until we get these problems sorted out." We had a conversation and he actually agreed that it is sad that Canada post is losing business because of its couriers, and that I can't trust them to actually deliver. Out of 10 packages in the past 2 months shipped through Canada post I have gotten 2 of them because they were small enough to fit in my mail slot. The other 8 I had to go to the post office and pick up myself. Out of 2 from DHL I've had to pick up both myself. Out of 3 from UPS all 3 have been delivered to my door, Purolator is 1 for 2.

You are in the business of deliveries that is what your paid for; your not paid to hang notices to go pick up my stuff from your office. Stop failing so god damn always at your job.

As for UPS you guys are great, I don't know if UPS offers incentives to their drivers or why they are the outlier here but whatever they are doing is working. Purolator would be better if their drivers weren't like ninja's, their version of knocking is gently caressing the door with their hand.

This concludes my rant.

Last edited by B_Type13X2; 08-01-2014 at 04:11 PM.
Old 08-01-2014, 04:11 PM

Wait'll you use Brown for cross border shipping. Thall'll put them on your ****list too. I refuse to use UPS anymore
Old 08-01-2014, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco View Post
Wait'll you use Brown for cross border shipping. Thall'll put them on your ****list too. I refuse to use UPS anymore
I've heard as much from other people to but for some reason in Fort McMurray they seem to be the only people actually doing their job.
Old 08-01-2014, 04:52 PM

Good thing you don't live in Kandahar or Gaza.

Can you imagine the back log of people waiting for limb parts?

Either get busy living, or get busy dying!
Old 08-01-2014, 04:58 PM

UPS, Purolater, DHL Lommis all caused me a 45 min each way trip to pick things up as they dont deliver in my area even though there trucks drive past my place every day.
The only delivey company that has deliverd to my acerage was CanPar
Old 08-01-2014, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintedblac View Post
UPS, Purolater, DHL Lommis all caused me a 45 min each way trip to pick things up as they dont deliver in my area even though there trucks drive past my place every day.
The only delivey company that has deliverd to my acerage was CanPar
Funny thing my package that DHL didn't deliver had Canpar as the original shipper. They don't operate in Fort McMurray so they handed it off to DHL to complete the task.
Old 08-01-2014, 05:10 PM

Could be but they sure as hell clustered a Loop flyrod I tried to buy online last winter. By the time they added their extra shipping fees, handling fees and brokerage fees, a $225 rod shipped was north of three and a quarter. I refused delivery and then the DBs tossed it into the abandoned shipments warehouse instead of shipping it back to the seller and I had to call the seller to rescue the damn thing so I could get my money back.

Brown may be good incountry but don't throw an international border between shipping points
Old 08-01-2014, 08:42 PM

Default Picture this

Purolator (should be Puro-later?) to deliver a cheque and accompanying documents from Edmonton to St. Paul (main street business office), "next day". Time sensitive. Nothing. "Oh, well that goes out of Vegreville, and the driver reached the end of his shift and didn't have time to deliver some items, and so it came back to Vegreville with the rest of his undelivered items". Next day, same excuse. Next day, the St. Paul recipient is on the phone with me in late afternoon when he actually sees the Purolator truck go by his main street window. He hangs up, runs down the street, and intercepts the truck at another stop just 2 blocks down. He insists on looking for the item. There it is, at the bottom of the moron's pile in the back. So he insists on taking delivery and walks back to his office to phone me and confirm. Luckily it was not, relatively, a "lot of money", and so the delay did not "change anyone's life".
But, seriously, what is the attitude that causes this sort of misfire - the "oldest" items should be at the top (?). You "reached the end of your shift" and just headed back to Veg without completing the job you were hired to do? Absolutely no apologies or any concept of why it was an issue from Purolator. Needless to say, my direction goes out that under no circumstances is my business ever again to use them for rural deliveries. They do not appear to care (?).
I have a few more examples of Purolator stupidity and attitude, but...?
Maybe their acquisition by Canada Post infused their employees with the same bad attitude to customer service(?). I have some more recent very bad examples of dreadful incompetence by Greyhound, UPS, etc. Maybe this business is just one where a "Westjet equivalent" is needed to force the current major players to buck up and deamnd some level of reasonable customer service from their employees (?).
A great business opportunity for some young entrepreneur out there (?).
Old 08-01-2014, 11:34 PM

If you live in an apt.it must have your buzzer# on package dose not matter if buzzer is same as apt # it must say. " buzzer # 000 if not they will not buzz .....been through this many ..many times now no trouble.

Mack
Old 08-02-2014, 12:23 AM
Banned

I don’t know I believe it is the individual who looks at the information.

It starts with us, when we input the information is it correct?

If we have met the requirements all should be good?

I do not believe the individuals working for these agency values what they do.

I have delivered mail from my residence to the correct location; maybe they need eye exams or basic literacy?

I know I am not perfect.

I know I have not received corresponded that I should have.

I wait for the super mail boxes; it will not be perfect but will isolate issues.

Until then insurance is a good thing.
Old 08-02-2014, 12:35 AM

UPS has failed to deliver several packages to me. always with that attempt to deliver not in building directory. my name is in the directory, I've checked. they also never left a card on my box. I confronted customer service, they wouldn't address any of my complaints, just read scripted lines.

I call/email ahead before ordering anything. if it's not regular post, that I can pickup 3 blocks from home open til 9pm I let them know my business is going elsewhere.

We learn from history that we do not learn from history. - Hegel

Your obligation to fight has not been relieved because the battle is fierce and difficult. Ben Shapiro
Old 08-02-2014, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild&Free View Post
UPS has failed to deliver several packages to me. always with that attempt to deliver not in building directory. my name is in the directory, I've checked. they also never left a card on my box. I confronted customer service, they wouldn't address any of my complaints, just read scripted lines.

I call/email ahead before ordering anything. if it's not regular post, that I can pickup 3 blocks from home open til 9pm I let them know my business is going elsewhere.
I have a sticker on my door so they just leave the package on my step even if I'm not home. I basically had to sign of on the responsibility. Never missed one yet but we live in a good neighbour hood.
Old 08-02-2014, 08:36 AM
Gone Hunting

Coyote soup anyone???

I shipped a frozen hide, properly packed in an insulated container. It cost me over $100 for overnight "Guaranteed" service, [That's what you're paying for , sir].
Two months later and several trips back and forth across the U.S., the driver quietly set the parcel outside the guy's garage door and left.

Yes it was packaged properly. Yes the paperwork was all good.Yes I called several times. Yes they said they would send a refund. No it never arrived.

DHL>

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 08-02-2014, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackinaw View Post
If you live in an apt.it must have your buzzer# on package dose not matter if buzzer is same as apt # it must say. " buzzer # 000 if not they will not buzz .....been through this many ..many times now no trouble.

Mack
Buzzer number is on the package, and even if its not there is a huge ass directory in size 16 font which corresponds buzzer numbers with apartments numbers. And if UPS can buzz themselves in so can Canada Post and all the other couriers. By the way 24 hours later and the tag that was supposed to be posted when they failed to deliver because I wasn't home still isn't there on my door or on the buildings front or rear door. So yeah no excuse for stupidity here they didn't even bother going out to my building.
Old 08-02-2014, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunted View Post
I have a sticker on my door so they just leave the package on my step even if I'm not home. I basically had to sign of on the responsibility. Never missed one yet but we live in a good neighbour hood.
I live in an apartment, not sure if that will work. however, from experience couriers have always given me dismal service compared to Canada Post. I rather use what i know works instead of trying to make something else work that doesn't do the job any better.

We learn from history that we do not learn from history. - Hegel

Your obligation to fight has not been relieved because the battle is fierce and difficult. Ben Shapiro
Old 08-02-2014, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B_Type13X2 View Post
Buzzer number is on the package, and even if its not there is a huge ass directory in size 16 font which corresponds buzzer numbers with apartments numbers. And if UPS can buzz themselves in so can Canada Post and all the other couriers. By the way 24 hours later and the tag that was supposed to be posted when they failed to deliver because I wasn't home still isn't there on my door or on the buildings front or rear door. So yeah no excuse for stupidity here they didn't even bother going out to my building.
Dose not mater how big the directory is they don't use it they only use the info that is on the ppackage...... It must read " buzzer and the number"
If you have not received the package how do you know buzzer number is on it

Mack
Old 08-03-2014, 12:51 AM
Banned

They shoulda try harder...
Hard work pays off
Old 08-04-2014, 07:40 AM

Hi, this is Anick. Our apologies for any inconvenience stemming from this incident. Could you email the parcel number and details at customer.care@purolator.com? I will advise the local manager to follow up on this incident.

Best regards,

Anick
Old 08-04-2014, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurolatorHelp View Post
Hi, this is Anick. Our apologies for any inconvenience stemming from this incident. Could you email the parcel number and details at customer.care@purolator.com? I will advise the local manager to follow up on this incident.

Best regards,

Anick
Always reactive hey? Ever tried being proactive so this problem doesn't persist?

I have a "package" that needs to go to Isreal.
Can you get it there?
It's time sensitive, not something you would want sitting in storage....

Unreal!

Good luck Op

Either get busy living, or get busy dying!
Old 08-04-2014, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dacotensis View Post
Always reactive hey? Ever tried being proactive so this problem doesn't persist?

I have a "package" that needs to go to Isreal.
Can you get it there?
It's time sensitive, not something you would want sitting in storage....

Unreal!

Good luck Op
It is hard to be proactive when you don't know what the issue with the parcel is. Have had packages delivered to our complex with a name and the complex number no suite number. Very hard to be proactive there....., You can't fix dumb

Mack
Old 08-05-2014, 07:19 AM

Every shipping company has their pros and cons, I find that the government post, Canada Post and USPS are terrible, but second also to DHL...

UPS I find to be good as my fiances business uses them and they do a good job for us, and are quick.

Fedex however has been the best company I have dealt with!
Old 08-05-2014, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackinaw View Post
Dose not mater how big the directory is they don't use it they only use the info that is on the ppackage...... It must read " buzzer and the number"
If you have not received the package how do you know buzzer number is on it

Mack
Because I put it in the shipping info on the package. It says clearly Buzzer #____ Apt. xxx building .... Unbelievable that your trying to turn this around as something that is somehow my fault. If UPS can look at an apartment number then look at a directory and ring the buzzer then so can everyone else. And in this case the buzzer number is the first damn thing on the actual package. Calls from Northern Properties 0 supposed attempted deliveries 4 on 2 separate packages, times they actually left a physical card to confirm that someone was actually at my building 1. Pretty crappy stats.

And Loomis just made the list. 2 packages from them one internationally one out of Vancouver. The one out of Vancouver they didn't leave a card or a delivery notice on the door. I had to call Canpar to find out who is trying to actually deliver the package locally then to call them and tell them to just keep the damn thing at their facility as I already have to go down there tomorrow to pick up my package coming in from Virginia.
Old 08-05-2014, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Because I put it in the shipping info on the package. It says clearly Buzzer #____ Apt. xxx building .... Unbelievable that your trying to turn this around as something that is somehow my fault. If UPS can look at an apartment number then look at a directory and ring the buzzer then so can everyone else. And in this case the buzzer number is the first damn thing on the actual package. Calls from Northern Properties 0 supposed attempted deliveries 4 on 2 separate packages, times they actually left a physical card to confirm that someone was actually at my building 1. Pretty crappy stats.

And Loomis just made the list. 2 packages from them one internationally one out of Vancouver. The one out of Vancouver they didn't leave a card or a delivery notice on the door. I had to call Canpar to find out who is trying to actually deliver the package locally then to call them and tell them to just keep the damn thing at their facility as I already have to go down there tomorrow to pick up my package coming in from Virginia.
Did not say it was your fault just asked a question. Perhaps you should have used ups if theylook at the directiory because canada post don't. I get 3-4 packages a week from canada post since making sure the buzzer # is on no issues

Mack
Old 08-05-2014, 10:28 PM

Had my Westley Richards sent back up from the States last Thursday, it arrived today a day earlier than expected!
I have had several bad experiences with Canada post, but most times I find with a signature required all goes well.
Cat
Old 08-11-2014, 11:47 AM

Quote:
I like to think of myself as a patient person a very patient person. You have to be when your forced to rely upon couriers to get parts for your prosthetic devices in a city where couriers just plain out don't give a **** about trying to deliver packages. I live in Fort McMurray, every month or so I get parts shipped to me from Calgary, If they are coming by any of those 3 companies I know I wont be getting them.

It actually doesn't even matter what I am having shipped to me, in the case of today it is a chair. DHL was the courier in question today, and apparently at 2:03pm they "attempted" to deliver my package. Funny, because I was home, I live in an apartment building no one buzzed, I have no calls registered from the building on my phone. There is no yellow card saying sorry we missed you. It is just a digitally generated message saying sorry we missed you. Which means that card will show up sometime later today when the delivery driver actually decides to come by here.

This is a standard practice in this city, Canada post has done this to me numerous times where they will generate a digital shipping notice saying I wasn't home and then drop off the actual physical card later on. It is ****ing infuriating to say the least. If you don't want to actually try to deliver the package then don't be a delivery person. People PAY to have stuff shipped to their door. I didn't pay the extra 20$'s for shipping the item express (3 days from Vancouver.) to have a person generate a card and a customer service agent to tell me they will try again on Tuesday. (makes it 7 days) About 3 weeks ago I was actively tracking a package through Canada post and another through UPS. the UPS package was my new computer shipped through memory express weight 83lbs total. The package through Canada Post a Fountain pen weight 400Grams. My UPS package arrived @ 2:05PM I signed for it the guys were great. I go and check online the status of my Canada post delivery. Attempted Delivery @ 2:07pm left card....

So apparently I was home @ 2:05pm for my UPS delivery, a delivery that they had to make 2 trips for, but not home for the Canada Post delivery @ 2:07pm. I live on the bottom floor in my building I am literally 20' away from the front door but the effort exerted to dial my buzzer and walk the additional 20' with a package that weighed 400 Grams was too much. Or so it was decided it was too much @ 2:07pm. The delivery person actually didn't show up to post the card until sometime after 5PM. The card had 2:07pm written on it. I know the rough window where the card showed up because I left my house to pick up some groceries sometime after 5 and got home at around 6PM and found that card waiting for me.

Same crap is going down with DHL today, they registered that they tried to deliver a package to me today @ 2:03pm. There is no card currently on the outside door to my building or currently hanging on my door knob outside right now, It is 3:50PM as of typing this. That means that they will show up sometime later today, quickly put their card up and get out of here as fast as possible.

As a personal message to Canada post and DHL who have discussed additional fee's for delivering items in Fort McMurray. NO your not entitled to additional fee's just for this city until your delivery drivers actually try to deliver peoples packages for once. I am not the only person who has this problem in Fort McMurray it is a city wide problem and your staff of couriers is terrible at their jobs or they don't give a crap about their jobs. Further if they decide that sometime during the day that they aren't gonna bother even trying to deliver a package you might want to tell them to not digitally generate the failed to deliver notice until sometime AROUND when they are going to hang the tag. I am not a stupid person and niether are the rest of your customers in this city. We are able to see the tracking information were able to see when you generate that tag, make the two times line up so it isn't blatantly obvious to us that you don't give a crap about doing your job.

I called Canada post to issue a complaint over that incident, and funny thing is, the gentleman I spoke to when I mentioned using UPS for my vital has to show up stuff and their tendency to actually deliver; he said, "I can't tell you not to do that if its working for you, It is probably best for you to do that until we get these problems sorted out." We had a conversation and he actually agreed that it is sad that Canada post is losing business because of its couriers, and that I can't trust them to actually deliver. Out of 10 packages in the past 2 months shipped through Canada post I have gotten 2 of them because they were small enough to fit in my mail slot. The other 8 I had to go to the post office and pick up myself. Out of 2 from DHL I've had to pick up both myself. Out of 3 from UPS all 3 have been delivered to my door, Purolator is 1 for 2.

You are in the business of deliveries that is what your paid for; your not paid to hang notices to go pick up my stuff from your office. Stop failing so god damn always at your job.

As for UPS you guys are great, I don't know if UPS offers incentives to their drivers or why they are the outlier here but whatever they are doing is working. Purolator would be better if their drivers weren't like ninja's, their version of knocking is gently caressing the door with their hand.

This concludes my rant.
We use DHL at work and I absolutely despise it. The delivery guy on our route is great, but once it gets to the warehouse, all bets are off. And don't get me started on the issues I've had with Canada Post. I sometimes think beating my head against a wall might be a better answer.