Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-07-2014, 03:07 PM

Default Helping my new dog adjust to my home

Hello all,

I know there are quite a few dog savvy people on here and I was hoping for some insight. Figure you guys might have some ideas or tactics that I haven't thought of.

Tomorrow after work I will be getting an 8.5 year old male border collie mix. He came for a three hour visit yesterday and was extremely stressed out being separated from his previous owners. Panting, yawning, drooling, pacing. He was one unhappy camper that's for sure.

His owners don't want him anymore. Not enough time, they said.

He's a calm and gentle boy, and sensitive in the classic border collie style.

Any suggestions as to how to help him adjust to my home?
Old 08-07-2014, 03:09 PM
Banned

Bacon.

I took in a 10yr old dog last year and she was pretty stressed at first...stopped at a McDonalds on the way home and got her some chicken mcnuggets.

Food, and mostly time getting acclimated to the change and they'll settle in.

And, kudos for taking in a dog. I won't comment on people that give up their dogs cause they don't have the time anymore...(I guess I just did...my bad)

Last edited by rugatika; 08-07-2014 at 03:16 PM.
Old 08-07-2014, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugatika View Post
Bacon.
Yes. And give some to the dog too.
Old 08-07-2014, 03:40 PM

Food and treats are fine but mostly time. I have adopted a few dogs and it has taken time. Take him for a truck ride. Get him a new tennis ball. Play play play. Border collies have to be busy and part of your life.

Is he going to come into the house? Sit him on the couch beside you and watch TV. Rub his ears and pet him. Make him a bed in your bedroom too.

I get down on their level too so that they are not intimidated. We have two little ones that came to us from a distressed situation and when I sit on the floor with them it is unreal. Layout on the the grass is another one that creates a lot of play time.

Like I said earlier it takes lots of time and attention. Include him in your life and he will accept you. It takes a lot of time to bond.

In order to be a smart azz, you have to be smart otherwise you are just an azz.

You're offended.... I think it is funny and that is why I am happier than you.
Old 08-07-2014, 03:43 PM

Firstly good on you!!! I would ask the owners if he has a favourite blanket, toys or his bed and bring into your home, something familiar. I would probalby keep him in a smallish area and over the next couple of days, open more parts of the house etc to him as it can be overwhelming to be left in a larger area.

Based on your luv for animals, Im sure he will get allot more attention, go for long walks, get a few treats and share play time together, get a good rub, and you will be best buds. Getting the attn he never got will always makes it easier for a dog to adapt to its new environment. Again congrats! Lots of info on google on adopting older dogs.
Old 08-07-2014, 03:44 PM

Default HaveSome fun

Just you and the dog. Outside doing what she or he likes ,with treats
Lots of praise . In the house ,get down to her level ,non intimidating .
I find obedience on a leash , with lots of praise ,

I had been given two middle aged Viszlas , who didn't hunt Really
High strung , six months ....both birded ,super familly dogs ,

You can teach an old dog new tricks , takes some time ...
Those Border collies smarter than most people , something like the
Sound of your voice is foreign and distressing , soft tones ,
Make a big deal out of Dinner time , serve steak ....

It can be done
Old 08-07-2014, 03:59 PM

Good job on taking in the pup, maybe a long leash for the first while during your outside romps. In case he bolts and wont know your calling him back. Wife brought home a 1 yr old long hair chihuahua, takes time and lots of patience as the dog adjusts to you. Now you would never know the dog came from another home. That was 3 yrs ago. Good Luck with the new friend.
Old 08-07-2014, 04:01 PM

Give "dog 2 week shut down" a quick Google. It's a good guideline, especially if the new dog is unsure or stressed.
Old 08-07-2014, 05:06 PM
Banned

Good on you X2 for giving this dog a home.

Don't try to force anything, just let it get used to the new environment. treats yes but a stressed dog usually won't take treats, if the dog does, then it'll be fine before long. Lots of love and praise will do it.
Old 08-07-2014, 09:58 PM

i got a rescue gsp last year and an spca gwp a couple months ago after my old mastiff passed, the gsp took about a month before he was totally at home , the gwp is only a year old , people who dumped him didnt realize how much work a pointer is i guess ,but he was pretty at home after about 2 days. the old mastiff i had from 6 weeks old till she died of old age last month at 13 and she had a harder time when ever we moved to a new house that the new guys did .
thats awesome that your taking him in by the way, dogs are awesome.
Old 08-08-2014, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugatika View Post
And, kudos for taking in a dog. I won't comment on people that give up their dogs cause they don't have the time anymore...(I guess I just did...my bad)
I agree, kudos for taking the dog in!

However, I rather have people find a new place for dogs they don't have time for any longer than neglect them or drop them on the side of the road.

"If life is tough, it's time to get stronger!" - Joel Runyon (reminder to myself)
Old 08-08-2014, 07:42 AM
Gone Fishing

The thing is, you will have to build a bond with the new (to you ) dog. Long walks on a lease help, and giving praise and affection are key. Food is a reinforcement and can be used as a motivator but the key is consistency Try to stay on a strict regimented exercise time, that helps the dog adjust to a predicable schedule.

Our first dog was an SPCA death row special. We had some great years with him. He adapted very well, after he knew he was in a safe environment.
Old 08-08-2014, 10:19 AM

Thank you for opening your house to an older animal! I would 1st and foremost say, get a nice large plastic Kennel, and put it in the room where you spend the most time. If you can get a dog blanket/bed from the previous owner even better. Kennel the dog at night, and when you are away from home for awhile until he feels at home in your house, but keep the kennel around for as long as he uses it. They need a place where they can feel safe, and covered.....kinda like a den. I spent years fostering rescue's and found this crucial in a smooth adjustment to a new home. As well take note (as mentioned previously) in your volume/tone of voice. Borders in particular are extremely intelligent (if not the most intelligent dog) and sensitive to your mood and demeanor.

Good Luck
Old 08-11-2014, 01:31 AM

It can definitely take time. It took my boy months before he decided we were his people. I felt for him... he had been given up as the previous owner had been forced to take a second job to make ends meet (his second owner). I can't imagine having to give this guy up. He is a sweet dog, lots of drive. In the words of my wife "that face has saved him a thousand deaths". Yes, he is mischief.

Adopting a dog can really be worth it. Take your time, and make him family. It will be worth it.
Old 08-11-2014, 09:03 AM

Sorry for my delayed reply...thank you for all your responses.

Unfortunately the owners changed their minds after realizing all the options they had (doggie daycare, dog walker etc) and decided to keep him.

Thanks again everyone xx