Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-18-2009, 05:00 PM

Yah, I am beginning to see that spoons are just as, or even more, popular then rapalas. I think I am going to try and use rapalas a bit more though. I think the most important thing about being a fisherman is being able to be versatile and adapt to different fishing situations. I would hate to think that I was missing an important arsenal in my tackle box just because I favored something else
Old 07-19-2009, 04:11 AM

As much as I like Rapala, I have to say this.
Gearing up for my big 1 month stop with the family in Sask, I spent close to $500 on mostly Rapala lures. I hadn't changed my tackle in a while.

So, you need your colours, ok usually at least 8 different types and you usually buy 2 to 3 colours. Now you must pick the sizes, well crap they have from 5 to 18 different sizes and you don't want to be stuck with something too big or small. So lets say conservatively you buy 3, something smaller, bigger, and the average presentation.

BUT WAIT, that's 1 type of lure, meaning an average 6-9 colours and sizes.
oooh, but Rapala has what 30 different types! and ALOT can be switched for different species as we can attest.
30x 6=180.!

Ok, now obviously I'm just plucking numbers but I'll tell you us crankers should check our tackle and count. and count.....and cry.

Now thats obviously gonna set you back with each lure being between 7 to $12 on average.

Spend $50 on mr.twisters, jig heads, and the odd powerbait and your laughing sometimes.
Spend $50 on spoons and your laughing.

Rapala I love you but your a money grubbing *****.
Old 07-19-2009, 05:31 PM

Len Thompson all the way
Old 07-20-2009, 11:30 AM

This is a good topic. Pike are my favorite fish to go after. In my experience... I have just as many with plugs as with spoons. Plugs (rapalas) that have perch coloring seemed to work well for a few years abut I seem to get bites on the yellow and red colors. In terms of spoons – up north on Pine and Siebert... all pike I caught up there were on a simple silver spoon or a massive plug.

Last year though when I was flattening the barbs... I actually removed all but one treble on all my rapalas and plugs (they all have just one now). I find the action in the lure much better, the damaged to fish is much less (in my mind) and my tackle is a little less tangled up without all those 2-3 treble rapalas creating havoc.

Actually to be truthful... I find I have way more fun fishing for pike with a fly rod. I do this most often now. I picked it up about 5 years ago and became “hooked” right away... I get a few strange looks... you need strong rig set-up... but it is becoming more common.

Good luck...