Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-05-2011, 03:16 AM

Default Good lakes around Edmonton for a 12ft boat

I am looking to buy a 12foot aluminum boot with a 9.9hp motor. What are some good lakes around Edmonton with easy access to the shoreline, with good fishing. I will be hauling the boat via truck not using a trailer.
Old 05-05-2011, 06:15 PM

Any lake around here is good for your boat. Just be careful on the large lakes like wab, ste anne, isle. I had my old 12' out on wab last year no problem, just watch the weather.
Old 05-05-2011, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willowtrail View Post
Any lake around here is good for your boat. Just be careful on the large lakes like wab, ste anne, isle. I had my old 12' out on wab last year no problem, just watch the weather.
X2! watch the weather on Wab... I was on there with a 14ft Prince Craft aluminum with a "high bow" and the boat could hardly handle the 3.5ft waves and it wasn't even that windy out either!

People can mess with life, but people can't mess with time.

Old 05-05-2011, 06:32 PM

On windy days, lakes such as the trout lakes won't be anything menacing, but any lakes the size of Isle and bigger can get pretty nasty for 12ft boats.

People can mess with life, but people can't mess with time.

Old 05-05-2011, 07:05 PM

I have even seen coal lake get too nasty for a 12 foot.
Old 05-05-2011, 08:35 PM

Yea weather is definately a concern of mine. Summer weather pretty much gurantees a thundershower mid afternoon. I'll have to try a few places out and see some results. I already have a few lakes i am going to try on the list, but not around edmonton.
Old 05-06-2011, 10:46 AM

The west end of mink lake is nice early season nice boat launch try fishing the west end where the two lake meet good pike fishing not to big but u get a few over four pounds I've only ever fished it with a 12ft with electric motor good numbers
Old 05-06-2011, 11:15 AM

Weather in mind if you are out and things start to head south keep an escape plan on mind find a protected bay head to shore dont risk capsizig your boat. Always check out the hourly forecast if you are heading out on a lake for that area and any areas close by weather can be very un predictable
Old 05-06-2011, 12:10 PM

I know I'm going to sound like a broken record but of course weather is the major factor. For a larger lake like wabamun I just stick to the east end of the lake when out in the 10-12 ft of course I'm usually just fishing for pike not far from shore. And the area has a high population (fish & people) so if a guy were to really get himself in some trouble it's not far to get help.

I find with a smaller craft launching at the PP is best as you have the bay there which really never gets as bad as the main lake and is a quick retreat when the weather gets nasty. Not to mention it's only 3-4-5 ft deep.
Old 05-06-2011, 12:36 PM

i was out in a 16ft with a 20hp johnson on buck lake one day that went bad. was nice, calm, sunny day. noticed some clouds rolling in but didn't think much of it. not even 10 seconds later wind picked up and big waves came in. full throttle against the waves boat was moving maybe 3km/h. never been so happy to get off a lake... white knuckles the whole way to the dock. be careful, and just keep a eye on the sky and conditions and you will be fine. just dont underestimate weather lol.
Old 05-06-2011, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colour86 View Post
i was out in a 16ft with a 20hp johnson on buck lake one day that went bad. was nice, calm, sunny day. noticed some clouds rolling in but didn't think much of it. not even 10 seconds later wind picked up and big waves came in. full throttle against the waves boat was moving maybe 3km/h. never been so happy to get off a lake... white knuckles the whole way to the dock. be careful, and just keep a eye on the sky and conditions and you will be fine. just dont underestimate weather lol.
Yea Buck lake is a lake on my radar. Ive gone out with friends in a boat before on that lake and had a great time with lots of success. Aside from the fish lure through the cheek it was a lovely day lol.
Old 05-07-2011, 02:05 PM

I went to Wab regularly with a 14 foot Lund and 25 hp motor. Never concerned about bad weather. I took that boat on a bad day on Cold Lake on the Alberta side, drove till my GPS said I was in Saskatchewan and came back, that was a bit hairy.