Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 07-20-2014, 11:04 PM

Default Treestands in poplar trees

Well I got some permission on a dandy little piece of land, I've hunted there before and taken half a dozen deer with the bow. Here's the problem, there's only one spruce in the whole section, it's not bad and has obviously worked in the past. There are better spots to hunt on the land but once the leaves fall I'm mighty exposed in those poplar trees. Does anyone else hunt in this kind of spot and have a decent way figured out to hunt from poplars? The spot doesn't lend itself to leaving a ground blind set up as its gong to get stolen and the wind swirls horribly there too so I'd really like to get up a tree if possible.
Old 07-20-2014, 11:14 PM

You are more than likely talking about Aspens, Chef.

I've bowhunted for years from them without any real problems. Higher is better though. On the bottom of a side hill with an earthen backdrop better still. Generally found them to be good for 3-5 seasons before the installed hardware starts to kill 'em off and requires a move. Good luck!
Old 07-21-2014, 12:09 AM

Default Trees

Aspens poplars... Great tall bleeping trees with no leaves
Old 07-21-2014, 12:42 AM

when trees get to popular find another one. Just don't pick an aspen, when the leaves drop you are exposed.
Old 07-21-2014, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickrel pat View Post
when trees get to popular find another one. Just don't pick an aspen, when the leaves drop you are exposed.
That is too funny!
Old 07-21-2014, 07:20 AM

Nothing wrong with using an aspen or poplar, like Treeguy says , just need to be a little higher . Try to set up in a group of tres, maybe 2 or 3 in a cluster to help give cover . One nice thing about em is no sap running all over your equipment .
Old 07-21-2014, 08:08 AM

I hunt out of Aspen's lots. I am also lucky enough to have a tree saddle so I can hide behind the tree. That being said, if you are hunting out of a tree stand go higher and try and face the deer head on from where they are coming from so you won't be as sky lined. You can also tie some brush behind you to help the sky lining problem.

Good luck!
Old 07-21-2014, 08:22 AM
Banned

have to agree about your stand being a little higher (15'?) which most deer will not even notice if you are still.
also have to wonder about this "dandy" peice of property for hunting if your concerned about your ground blinds being stolen. if there is a lot of foot traffic from other people, deer might be pushed to other areas. might be better to construct some ground blinds from fallen timber and branches.
Old 07-21-2014, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterninja View Post
have to agree about your stand being a little higher (15'?) which most deer will not even notice if you are still.
also have to wonder about this "dandy" peice of property for hunting if your concerned about your ground blinds being stolen. if there is a lot of foot traffic from other people, deer might be pushed to other areas. might be better to construct some ground blinds from fallen timber and branches.
I hunt around 25-30 ft.
Old 07-21-2014, 10:58 AM

Default Aspen

It is a "dandy" piece of land because it a so close to home and I can get out easily with family commitments. I've left a treestand in the fir tree for years with no problems but a pop up ground blind is just such a tasty little thing to steal. I've used pit blinds and bush made blinds a lot in other areas with great success. That said, the wind swirls so much in this particular location that I'd rather get into a tree. I got a nice doe last year out of an aspen (25 feet up) with no back cover at all so as has been pointed out by others it does work to get higher. I was just wondering if anyone had any other "secrets".

The tree saddle intrigues be a LOT I've been looking at the idea for a few years now. My concerns are that it wouldn't work well with bulky late season clothing.
Old 07-21-2014, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
It is a "dandy" piece of land because it a so close to home and I can get out easily with family commitments. I've left a treestand in the fir tree for years with no problems but a pop up ground blind is just such a tasty little thing to steal. I've used pit blinds and bush made blinds a lot in other areas with great success. That said, the wind swirls so much in this particular location that I'd rather get into a tree. I got a nice doe last year out of an aspen (25 feet up) with no back cover at all so as has been pointed out by others it does work to get higher. I was just wondering if anyone had any other "secrets".

The tree saddle intrigues be a LOT I've been looking at the idea for a few years now. My concerns are that it wouldn't work well with bulky late season clothing.
I personally would rather be in a tree saddle when it is cold out rather than a tree stand. I get cold if I am sitting for a long time. With the tree saddle you can move from sitting to standing or move around the tree. Of course you can do that in a tree stand, but like I said before you can hide behind the tree, if for instance there is some does around that you aren't interested in. Also the actual saddle that you sit in is warm and blocks the wind well. I wish they never went out of business as I would like to get another one just in case mine wheres out.

I see there is something else out there that is similar.(Spider something??) They look comfortable But I don't think they would be good with winter gear on.
Old 07-21-2014, 01:24 PM

If its windy make sure your tree is solid. Aspens can look good but can be pretty punky. The wind was blowing pretty good one day and I made the choice to leave as a shot out of the stand was iffy with all that waving.
The next trip out found this.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rsz_img_0205.jpg (151.3 KB, 205 views)

Save time... see it my way
Old 07-21-2014, 01:29 PM
Banned

Get a climbing stand and pick a tree. Unless it's a lone tree all by itself where the deer can see any movement from a distance, you'll be fine.
Old 07-21-2014, 03:47 PM

You can always wrap camo cloth around your stand [works on my ladder and Viper climber] to provide a little concealment...and it hides movement quite well. I use some stuff from Cabelas with little tears in it.
Old 07-21-2014, 05:16 PM

for poplars or other deciduous trees, I like the camo covers for tree stands/ladder stands. Masks your movement.
Old 07-21-2014, 05:56 PM

Like any set up, brush it in and play the wind.

Best of luck this season.
Old 07-22-2014, 07:17 AM

I use a snow camo when hunting aspens even early season, a little less obvious against the sky.
Old 07-22-2014, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKEHORN View Post
I use a snow camo when hunting aspens even early season, a little less obvious against the sky.
X2, I like to use a thin snow camo layer I bought from cabelas that I throw on top of my thicker camo when I'm using my treestand up in the aspens..done the trick so far, yet to be busted.