Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-20-2017, 12:32 PM

Default Pigeon, love that Pigeon

Headed out to Pigeon this morning for a quick morning fish.
Got there and got setup. Dropped down and had a fish hit...the felt the weight and then nothing. Looked down to see a walleye up near the bottom of the hole....weird. It did come back and I landed a nice over 50cm wallie.

Fished for a bit, with the main line and a WW on the Jaw Jacker. Saw a nice white appear. It took 2-3 good swipes at the hook. Then left but came back. One miss and then CONNECT! Felt the weight right away. Tried had bombing the fish up but this white was big enough to not want any of that. Took off with line peeling. I got spooled about 3 times where the runs were 40-50 feet long. Final got the white in the whole turned the head and up and out. A tank! So I take it to the truck to wrap it up in a garbage bag. Get that done, walk back to the tent, as I approach I hear the Jaw Jacker go off. Woot!! Run and see the top is bending nicely, fish on! Had a good long fight again before getting the white in the hole and it popped off at the top. A quick dunk and grab and it was out. So 2 in a row on both rigs, back to back. Oh yeah! Look at my watch and its 8:30 a.m. I fished to around 10 a.m. and saw another 4-5 whites that looked at both hooks. Came close but no more for me. Great quick bite today.

Here are the whites from Sylvan yesterday afternoon.

Nice whites! Big one at 4.7 lbs and just over 23 inches. The 2nd one was 3 lbs which is the smallest I've caught at Pigeon in a long time.

Two whites this size makes for one huge stack of meat!

Yah-freakin-hoo! Making fish burgers and potato encrusted whites for the big one. All getting cooked up fresh.

P.S. Ice is think and strong at Pigeon but you have some driving around to do as the heaves have raised up huge in places. Like looking at a wall.