Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-23-2018, 01:58 PM

Default Blue Jays game and HHOF

Gents, Has anyone here been to a Blue Jays game and also taken in the Hockey Hall of Fame? I'm looking at going with a few friends and our sons but have never been. Looking for hotel suggestions that would be close to where the action is. Hopefully they aren't all $400+ per night...
Any other suggestions of places to go and check out.
We get in on a Thursday evening, HHOF on Friday, Game Sat, fly back Sun evening.
Our boys are 10 years old so don't need a list of ADULT ONLY places...
Thanks for any tips and suggestions.

Cheers,
SS
Old 03-23-2018, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpstick View Post
Gents, Has anyone here been to a Blue Jays game and also taken in the Hockey Hall of Fame? I'm looking at going with a few friends and our sons but have never been. Looking for hotel suggestions that would be close to where the action is. Hopefully they aren't all $400+ per night...
We get in on a Thursday evening, HHOF on Friday, Game Sat, fly back Sun evening.

Cheers,
SS
I'd add the CN Tower to your list for sure.
Old 03-23-2018, 02:16 PM

Quote:

Cheers,
SS
That's funny, I did that EXACT trip last May (even the same days of the week). We stayed at the Radisson Harbourfront, which was very close to Rogers Centre, and still within walking distance (albeit a bit of a walk) to the HHOF. We did a flight + hotel through expedia, and it was very affordable.

If your sons are big hockey kids, which I'm assuming they are, they'll absolutely love the HHOF. I'm in my mid twenties, and I was like a kid in a candy store.

Staying on the hockey theme, I'd recommend going to Gretzky's restaurant as well.
Old 03-23-2018, 03:29 PM

Went a few years back and caught a few opening games. Not a huge baseball fan and have never seen pro-ball before but still an absolute blast!

Definitely check out the HHOF, CN tower, and Ripley's aquarium which are all pretty much right there for you. Also liked the Royal Ontario Museum and Casa Loma, but your tastes may vary. Large part of our fun was just wandering around checking things out/bar hopping for a few of the nights, and of course taking in some of the finer Yonge St establishments. But like you said you got kids so no go .

We ended up getting a condo rental through VRBO 5 min from Rogers right on the waterfront for 6 of us for way way cheaper than any hotels we could find. Might be worth a look.
Old 03-23-2018, 03:31 PM

I didn't even think of the CN Tower but the kids might think its cool.
Yes all of the boys are big hockey nuts (so are us dads) so it will be cool to go see. Is Gretzkys restaurant at the HHOF or close to it?
Old 03-23-2018, 03:33 PM

good idea on the VRBO but Im sure the kids will want to go for a swim in the hotel pool so that might be a show stopper... unless there is a house that has a pool...
Old 03-23-2018, 03:48 PM

Quote:
good idea on the VRBO but Im sure the kids will want to go for a swim in the hotel pool so that might be a show stopper... unless there is a house that has a pool...
Lots of condo downtown have pool facilities so probably still a cheaper option if you can find something. The more people going the more sense it makes vs the crazy weekend hotel prices downtown.
Old 03-23-2018, 03:58 PM

Quote:
I didn't even think of the CN Tower but the kids might think its cool.
Yes all of the boys are big hockey nuts (so are us dads) so it will be cool to go see. Is Gretzkys restaurant at the HHOF or close to it?
It's within walking distance from Roger's Centre.
Old 03-23-2018, 03:59 PM

We did that exact trip with the CN tower and we stayed right at Rogers place in the hotel there. Was fairly affordable 4 years ago, not sure what it is now. Great trip.
Old 03-23-2018, 07:47 PM

Thanks guys, I think we will take in the CN tower as well.
Flights have been booked already so just looking for a hotel.
HHOF is looked after, as we have a Hall of Famer joining us on this trip. He told us, "I should be able to get us some passes, my name is on the 2000 Stanley Cup... LOL
We haven't told the kids yet but they are going to be over the moon when we surprise them.
June can't come soon enough...
Old 03-24-2018, 08:21 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Thanks guys, I think we will take in the CN tower as well.
Flights have been booked already so just looking for a hotel.
HHOF is looked after, as we have a Hall of Famer joining us on this trip. He told us, "I should be able to get us some passes, my name is on the 2000 Stanley Cup... LOL
We haven't told the kids yet but they are going to be over the moon when we surprise them.
June can't come soon enough...
You hang out with hockey royalty! Should open a few doors and through in a few perks too

Went to my first game last year, was one of the first 20,000 to get in and got a jersey, was there early and took in the complete facility, huge, awesome sat right at first base up a few seats...good time.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 03-24-2018, 08:39 AM

I did this when I was 13ish.
Great time, HHOF was amazing. Even back then.
Its definitely worth doing Canada's Wonderland for a day. Especially with your kids that age.
Old 03-24-2018, 10:19 AM

I did the Blue Jays game and Hockey Hall of fame trip as a young teenage with a bachelor uncle and had a great time.I would second the Canada's wonderland sugestion if you have a day or even half a day, it's an ammazing theme park, I've never seen anything else like it in Canada anyway. Your kids will be in heaven. For kids that age, I'd opt out of the CN Tower and go to wonderland that afternoon.
Old 06-11-2018, 01:11 PM

Thanks for all the tips and suggestions.
Just got back last night, had a fantastic trip.
We stayed at the Residence Inn on Wellington. Great location to walk to everything we wanted to go to. Went to the HHOF Friday am, had a great time there. So many things to see and history, the kids loved it. Went to Kellys Landing for lunch on Front St. Fantastic food and cold beer, highly recommend. Then over to CN Tower, that was pretty cool to look around the area. Wow is Lake Ontario huge. Didn't go up to the next level 300 feet higher as it was a 2 hour wait. Back to the hotel so the kids could swim for an hour before dinner. Went to Gretzkys, have to say that it was the most disappointing restaurant we ate at the entire time in Toronto. Just average pub grub, place was dead and not near as much memorabilia as I was expecting. We all agreed we would not go back or recommend it as there are way too many GREAT places to go. it was Jr Jays wkd so we went to Rogers Center at 11 for all the kids activities, they had a blast. Game was at 1, kids went down and got an autograph from Sam Gaviglio #43 in warm up. Great game, went to extra innings with the Jays getting walked with loaded bases for the win. We had signed the kids up for a Jr Jay for the day so they got to go down on the field after the game and run the bases. Very cool to see the stadium from ground level. We had also applied for the kids to get autographs after this in which 200 kids were drawn and 2 of our 3 kids were picked. So they got autographs from Devon Travis and Justin Smoak. Very cool experience for them.
Then back to the hotel for a swim again and then out for dinner to an Italian place called Scaddabush, which is slang for a little of this and a little of that.
Not only was this the best place we ate at in Toronto, its the best place I have been to in years anywhere. Absolutely fantastic fresh made pastas, pizzas, and appys were super. 10/10 from all 7 of us.
Sunday we went to the Ripley's aquarium which was good, but just another aquarium in my books. we were just at one in Phoenix this spring and was basically the same thing. Great for the kids but I could have passed. Anyways, we went to the Loose Moose for lunch and it was very good as well. Fantastic menu and pages of beers. I would definitely go there again.
All in all, a great trip and highly recommend taking your kids. Easily walk to everything, never needed a cab for anything until we went back to airport.

Cheers,
SS