Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-23-2018, 04:38 PM

Default Auto insurance rate increase.

Just got my insurance renewal in the mail, and with no claims, tickets or changes in my policy it goes up $28/m.
After a quick phone call I was told that insurance rates have increased province wide due in order to compensate for an influx of claims over the last couple years... has anyone else encountered this bull crap?
I’m currently in search of a new insurance provider, looking for recommendations for a new insurance provider.
Old 03-23-2018, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skoaltender View Post
Just got my insurance renewal in the mail, and with no claims, tickets or changes in my policy it goes up $28/m.
After a quick phone call I was told that insurance rates have increased province wide due in order to compensate for an influx of claims over the last couple years... has anyone else encountered this bull crap?
I’m currently in search of a new insurance provider, looking for recommendations for a new insurance provider.
I have a friend who said his policy price went by 1/3 ,he was mad.
If people concentrated on the really important things in life,there would be a shortage of fishing poles.Doug larson. Theres a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. Steven Wright.
Old 03-23-2018, 04:49 PM

March 1st my house was up, it was a 27.5% increase, year before it went up 20%, so I figured I need to look else where. Phone and complained they then got back to me next day reduced it $150.00. Made a few calls next day I got same coverage for $602.00 less, auto policy is due in June so I haven't got my renewal yet.
Have to shop around.
Old 03-23-2018, 04:52 PM

My insurance has risen the last year or two. No claims, no tickets, nothing. I pay 6 months at a time and when I asked the insurance broker they said it was because of the same reasons. Too many claims so everyone's rates increase. I ended up switching companies and saved 300$ every 6 months AND that included adding another vehicle to my insurance. I've been told every now and then it is a good thing to shop around to change rates.
Old 03-23-2018, 05:00 PM

Ahhh so aggravating. Been with this company for 13 years, never had a accident or any sort of ticket.
Old 03-23-2018, 05:21 PM

Use a broker?

I use a broker to confirm my pricing every year. If I can get a better price I'll move.

I find no sense in staying with the same insurer, same mortgage co, same telco etc if I can get a better price elsewhere. I find corporate loyalty to customer lacks.

Sent from my SM-G530W using Tapatalk
Old 03-23-2018, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWCalgary View Post
Use a broker?

I use a broker to confirm my pricing every year. If I can get a better price I'll move.

I find no sense in staying with the same insurer, same mortgage co, same telco etc if I can get a better price elsewhere. I find corporate loyalty to customer lacks.

I was with a broker who Retired, he found me this company and they were always offering the lowest rates(I frequently shopped around as I’m cheap).
If I can’t talk this guys down in price I’ll be on the look for a new company, or broker who can find me a competitive rate.
Old 03-23-2018, 05:41 PM

Thumbs up This ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtruckin View Post
My insurance has risen the last year or two. No claims, no tickets, nothing. I pay 6 months at a time and when I asked the insurance broker they said it was because of the same reasons. Too many claims so everyone's rates increase. I ended up switching companies and saved 300$ every 6 months AND that included adding another vehicle to my insurance. I've been told every now and then it is a good thing to shop around to change rates.
That ^

I shop around almost every year now (home & auto) ... it pays Big Time!

Selkirk
Old 03-23-2018, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWCalgary View Post
Use a broker?

Yah hit the nail squarely on the head with that statement. They could care less about you, but if you cost them a dime look out your now deemed "high risk".
Old 03-23-2018, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Ahhh so aggravating. Been with this company for 13 years, never had a accident or any sort of ticket.
I hear ya, I called and said what the increase I haven't ever had an accident, their response.... exactly. your due. LOL.

Got a quote from another outfit for much less. gave it too current provider and they matched it. Should have left, but less paperwork this way.
Old 03-23-2018, 08:15 PM

You can blame the "that's what insurance is for" crowd. The same people who make claims anytime a bird poops on their car.

It's unfair to those of us who don't make frivolous minor claims in an attempt to keep our premiums low ...... but at the end of the day we pay for it as well. If I get a door ding or someone swipes my stuff out of my car - I repair or replace it or just move on.

They really need to hammer those "that's why I pay for insurance" people and lay off the rest of us.
Old 03-23-2018, 08:21 PM
Banned

My home and auto both went down last renewal period. Maybe it has something to do with me turning 5376 years old.
Old 03-23-2018, 08:43 PM
Banned

Just got my renewal last week. $6/mo cheaper than last year.
Old 03-23-2018, 08:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
You can thank the non-existent performance of the RCMP for that, their policy to let "insurance companies" take care of theft crime will be reflected in most of our insurance policies. It is pretty obvious that the RCMP feel they don't have to prevent theft crime anymore.......skid them and get provincial police.
Old 03-23-2018, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobalong View Post
You can thank the non-existent performance of the RCMP for that, their policy to let "insurance companies" take care of theft crime will be reflected in most of our insurance policies. It is pretty obvious that the RCMP feel they don't have to prevent theft crime anymore.......skid them and get provincial police.
true enough on rcmp make little effort to prevent crime. Skid them for provincial police who do you think they will hire !!! Ex rcmp of course.
Old 03-23-2018, 09:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by expedition View Post
true enough on rcmp make little effort to prevent crime. Skid them for provincial police who do you think they will hire !!! Ex rcmp of course.
Possibly but with their dismal performance I would doubt it, although I am sure their are some good ones out there.
Old 03-23-2018, 10:15 PM

Well I will weigh in since I have been in the business for a while though not from the broker side. I get all the letters and memos so see it all first hand. The claim ratios are not well especially auto. Unfortunately we have a lot of people putting in a lot of claims and spoiling it for us good guys. In house insurance as everyone knows weather has hit pretty hard. All the companies are clamping down and a ton of changes happening to get things back to profitability. See the expose on CBC on fraud and several companies think it is only the beginning.
You will see a ton of changes coming and a lot of questions being asked that were not before and bad drivers are going to get slammed. The industry is regulated for increases so cannot go too crazy but time for everyone to wake up and figue out all the scamming going on is costing more than we think.
Old 03-23-2018, 10:22 PM

Got mine from AMA today went up about $40 a month
Old 03-23-2018, 10:26 PM

Default Insurance

Hail claims every year, forest fires and theft by the untouchables of course insurance rates are going to go up.
Old 03-23-2018, 10:36 PM

I agree on the scamming am suspicious of many many people . Morals all comes down to morals.
Old 03-24-2018, 08:00 AM

Quote:
I was with a broker who Retired, he found me this company and they were always offering the lowest rates(I frequently shopped around as I’m cheap).
If I can’t talk this guys down in price I’ll be on the look for a new company, or broker who can find me a competitive rate.
My vehicle was 9 years old, no tickets, no claims ever (for 20 years), have house and vehicles under policy, been with the company since I started driving. Last year get renewal notice, vehicle insurance for truck is up $150 year over year. So I call and ask them to explain the increase? They gave me some bulls^%t answer so I asked for details. They said they call me back. They wound up reducing it by $100.

Have done this 2 years in a row now and will continue to if it saves me money. Hey, a $100 buys me a tank of gas. I've checked my insurance with a insurance broker last few years and I'm unable to beat the overall price I'm paying. However in this day in age it pays to be diligent.

I'd also be very cautious with insurance sold through a Bank. Bank "administrators" are typically not licensed insurance agents and from what I know are under "high pressure" sales quotas.

Rule of 5: Five people in this world whom a guy cannot trust...
- Politicians
- Lawyers
- Mechanics
- Anyone who takes your money
- An animal that bleeds for 5 days and doesn't die
Old 03-24-2018, 08:13 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

A quick call puts them into reality of you moving to another .....rates go up but not mine....they got the point target the hammerheads out there and let us less risk drivers etc carry on.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 03-24-2018, 08:58 AM

When you buy insurance you become FAMILY with everyone else insured with your provider.

The umbrella protects all of the family.
Even the family members that pick and eat their own boogers.

Anyone who has siblings knows the feeling of getting punished for that persons actions.
The fact that you are a model child has little to do with it when your brother keeps burning the house down.

One big happy family
Old 03-24-2018, 11:48 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post

You can blame the "that's what insurance is for" crowd. The same people who make claims anytime a bird poops on their car.

It's unfair to those of us who don't make frivolous minor claims in an attempt to keep our premiums low ...... but at the end of the day we pay for it as well. If I get a door ding or someone swipes my stuff out of my car - I repair or replace it or just move on.

They really need to hammer those "that's why I pay for insurance" people and lay off the rest of us.
MUCH higher 'minimum' deductibles would solve much of that ^ ... and keep our premiums lower.

Selkirk
Old 03-24-2018, 02:19 PM

I can hardly wait for my next invoice. The person that I did for 30 years upped my rate with no excuse but to say that my increase was because of people ripping them off. My excuse was why do you allow them to do that, silence.
Old 03-24-2018, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selkirk View Post
MUCH higher 'minimum' deductibles would solve much of that ^ ... and keep our premiums lower.

Selkirk
I agree. There should be a credit when you pay for the repairs yourself.
I've seen people make claims that are hardly over the deductible.

If I get a scratch on my truck, I'm not going through insurance.
Old 03-24-2018, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckbrush View Post

^^^ This ^^^ is why I always get the highest deductibles I can and save a few $$$ in the process (typically $1000 deductible, both home and auto). Not a chance I would make a claim for anything I could manage to pay for myself. For the vehicles, the claim would have to be -- at least -- police reportable ($2000 these days, I think) in which case your insurance company will know about it anyway.

Last edited by Fifth Wheel; 03-24-2018 at 08:47 PM. Reason: grammer
Old 03-24-2018, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post

Well said, agree 100%
Old 03-24-2018, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckbrush View Post

Sad story, my wife’s co-worker dinged my wife’s door and left a small scratch/dent. She told us to get a quote for repair, which turned out to be $265. The lady said that it was too much and she will have to go through her insurance to cover the costs...
Old 03-25-2018, 08:25 AM

One of the other changes coming is higher deductibles. I know in our insurance office many have to be called prior to renewal and advised of the upping of the amount for the coming year.

With the crappy last few years of claims and car insurance doing badly for everyone they are looking at all kinds of different ways to get back to profitability.