Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-23-2018, 01:58 PM

Default delete

For those that use headlamps for hunting what models are you using? Some have the batteries in the headlamp itself & some have an external battery that goes behind the head. Looking for one that has a strong wide beam & good battery life.
Old 03-23-2018, 02:27 PM

There’s only one to consider. You’ll have many brands suggested but they’re junk in comparison.

Get online and order a zebralight. Your best option is to run 18650’s as they’re rechargeable, high voltage, inexpensive, long run time, massive light output, light weight and compact.

I run the h602 with the neutral tint and floody beam. It can go from 0.1 lumen to over 1000 lumen. Low enough to read a map without wrecking your night vision to bright enough to make the night into daylight. Excellent blood tracking light.

I bought three Panasonic 18650’s about seven years ago. They’ve gone through hundreds of cycles and still going strong. They ran me about $20 a piece and the charger was about $16. Amortized over their life they’ve been a great value.

When you buy the light spend the extra $4 to get the glow in the dark holder on the headband. They’re worth their weight in gold when you wake up in the dark and need your headlamp.
Old 03-23-2018, 02:33 PM

I picked up a Fenix headlamp that I am happy with
Old 03-23-2018, 03:11 PM

I have an older version of this one

I love it; but apparently it's junk, so don't bother

ARG

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjemac View Post
It has been scientifically proven that a 308 round will not leave your property -- they essentially fall dead at the fence line. But a 38 round, when fired from a handgun, will of its own accord leave your property and destroy any small schools nearby.
Old 03-23-2018, 03:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coiloil37 View Post
There’s only one to consider. You’ll have many brands suggested but they’re junk in comparison.

Get online and order a zebralight. Your best option is to run 18650’s as they’re rechargeable, high voltage, inexpensive, long run time, massive light output, light weight and compact.

I run the h602 with the neutral tint and floody beam. It can go from 0.1 lumen to over 1000 lumen. Low enough to read a map without wrecking your night vision to bright enough to make the night into daylight. Excellent blood tracking light.

I bought three Panasonic 18650’s about seven years ago. They’ve gone through hundreds of cycles and still going strong. They ran me about $20 a piece and the charger was about $16. Amortized over their life they’ve been a great value.

When you buy the light spend the extra $4 to get the glow in the dark holder on the headband. They’re worth their weight in gold when you wake up in the dark and need your headlamp.
This. Have two, best headlamp I have ever used and I have owned a bunch over the years.
Old 03-23-2018, 04:50 PM

Fenix HP25R LED Headlamp , rechargeable and on High 1000 lumens, game changer for me, sunlight in dark, flood and spotlight options.
Old 03-23-2018, 05:15 PM

I don't believe many of the extreme lumen claims. Saw one headlamp that looked similar to the Zebra, I believe it was Superbrightled or something. The guy said it was 1000 lumens, but I'm pretty sure my Pelican 2360 with about a third of that advertised would have blown it away.

I don't have any expensive headlamps, but I do have one that I really like.

It's the Energizer TufHD31 I think. It has 2 lamps with dual power for each one, and separate switches. One is a flood, and one is a spot. Takes 3 AAA batteries, which I like.

Survivor of the dread covid
Pureblood!
Old 03-23-2018, 05:21 PM

http://www.acmetool.com/woeimages/en.../TUFHD31PE.jpg

Pureblood!
Old 03-23-2018, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tactical Lever View Post
I don't believe many of the extreme lumen claims. Saw one headlamp that looked similar to the Zebra, I believe it was Superbrightled or something. The guy said it was 1000 lumens, but I'm pretty sure my Pelican 2360 with about a third of that advertised would have blown it away.

I don't have any expensive headlamps, but I do have one that I really like.

It's the Energizer TufHD31 I think. It has 2 lamps with dual power for each one, and separate switches. One is a flood, and one is a spot. Takes 3 AAA batteries, which I like.
That’s because most are junk. There’s a standard for testing a light. If the manufacturer isn’t adhering to and reporting it was tested using the ANSI FL1 standard they’re just pulling numbers from their hole.
Then you need to look at light output (lumen), intensity (candela) and depending on the type of light beam distance.
Old 03-23-2018, 08:17 PM
Banned

Here's some more really crappy lamps.

https://www.suprabeam.com/uk/products/v_series

This one especially sucks:

https://www.suprabeam.com/uk/product...o-rechargeable
Old 03-23-2018, 09:33 PM

Fenix HL55 for me.
Super bright and uses one 18650 or two 123A's.
Picked it up pretty cheap in the US one year and really like it.
Old 03-23-2018, 10:58 PM

Default Nitecore HC50

I use this headlamp every day (2yrs) picking out eyeshine to supplemental feed our 33yr old mare and herd that are way way out in the fields in all weather conditions. Wear it many days trimming and shoeing horses in dark barns.

It is also frequently used for lighting scenes in nightscape photography, videography and time lapse.

From 20-760 lumens on a floody clean beam and red setting to (retain night vision) excellent battery life and is super rugged. HC 50 uses a single 18650 battery and incorporates a built in battery level indicator.

I've tested Fenix, Petzl, Zebra, Surefire and Jetbeam. Nitecore HC50 is by far my favorite. If I lost it I'd pick up another in a heartbeat.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#I Am An Outdoorsman And I Approve This Message

#creativity can't wait for technology

Last edited by creeky; 03-23-2018 at 11:04 PM.
Old 03-24-2018, 02:37 AM

I've had one of these "professional" versions for a couple of yrs now, for 30.00 it works really well for my needs.

http://www.energizer.ca/lighting/headlights#hcr
Old 03-24-2018, 09:35 AM

Fenix headlamp for me, waterproof and doesn't mind being dropped and stepped on. Made of aluminum instead of plastic.
Old 03-24-2018, 02:15 PM

Correction on my earlier post: my headlamp takes 3 AA, not the AAA.

Batteries in the back.

And some of the light outputs are exaggerated, but not all.

Pureblood!