Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-23-2007, 12:55 PM

Default Caribbean Vacations

My wife and I are planning a 2 week vacation for the end of February/beginning of March. We're interested in an all inclusive somewhere new. We've been to Manzanillo, the Mayan Riviera, Los Cabos, Veradero, Punta Cana, and parts of Spain. Has anyone any recommendations? Something 5 star rated. Mary and I both love the beach and enjoying 1 day excursions away from the resort. Are the winters getting longer or it just me?

Bobby B.
Old 11-23-2007, 01:17 PM
sheephunter

Hmmm...don't think there is any hunting in the Caribbean....seems a strange winter vacation to me....lol

Austrailia, New Zealand or even Africa are my kind of winter getaways...lol Although maybe Ibex in Spain would be nice. Vacation without a gun..what's that like....

South Texas was nice last year though....got blood on my knife!!!
Old 11-23-2007, 01:50 PM

i have had many friends go to costa rica and love it......a bit more "adventurous" than mexico...but still great all inclusive resorts.....
Old 11-23-2007, 02:18 PM

Sheep you crack me up.
Old 11-23-2007, 02:31 PM

x2 on Costa Rica. Great place to go. Friendly locals and great resorts.
Old 11-23-2007, 02:46 PM

Default vacation

Costa Rica. We stayed at this place www.paradisusplayaconchal.travel/ and I would go back there in a minute.

We also stayed at this place www.grandvelas.com/ in mexico. I would recommend it as well.

We went to Orient Beach in St. Maartens last november and had a fabulous time there as well. We had the kids with us that time and they loved the beach as well. It was the nicest beach I have ever been to in my life! It is probably the number one place I would like to revisit.

Geo
Old 11-23-2007, 03:08 PM

My best vacation ever was the Bahia Principe Resort in Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic. Absolutley fab-u-lous. Chicks (I was single), topless bathing (sometimes good, sometimes not so good), cooking hot and free drinks. I miss those days sometimes.
LB
Old 11-23-2007, 05:23 PM

Costa Rica has been on oor list for some time. I'll check out those websites. Thank you. We stayed at Bahia Principe Akumal a few years back plus Bahia Principe Punta Cana two years ago. Listed as a five star but probably more like a four or four and one half. The beach at Punta Cana was 30% topless; some great, some not great. Has anyone been to Turks and Caicos? A business associate said he and his wife loved it.

As for a hunting vacation, March 09 in Namibia for two weeks. Kudu, Gemsbok, Eland, Hartman's Zebra, Impala, Blue Wildebesst and Springbok all on the list.

Bobby B.
Old 11-23-2007, 05:27 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
As for a hunting vacation, March 09 in Namibia for two weeks. Kudu, Gemsbok, Eland, Hartman's Zebra, Impala, Blue Wildebesst and Springbok all on the list.
Awesome....who you going with? We are planning an 09 Namibia trip as well but haven't booked yet. Zebra, warthog, kudo, gemsbok and impalla on my list!
Old 11-23-2007, 05:34 PM
Hoochie Papa

Cuba. Cuba. Cuba.
Melia Veradero resort

I vacationed there, then spent the summer working there. The people are the friendliest, the weather was awesome, no worries about not liking the food. They have everything and anything to eat.
And the rum is second to none.
Old 11-23-2007, 05:56 PM

Hey Bobby, Costa Rica gets my vote, also. I was there 2 years ago, and plan to go back this spring. I can't recommend any 5 star all inclusive's as I just travel around and pick my spot and hotel as it happens. I totally enjoyed the beaches, beer, wildlife, and Tico's! But the freakin' drivers are insane.
Old 11-23-2007, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Hmmm...don't think there is any hunting in the Caribbean....seems a strange winter vacation to me....lol

Austrailia, New Zealand or even Africa are my kind of winter getaways...lol Although maybe Ibex in Spain would be nice. Vacation without a gun..what's that like....
I'm with sheep on this one

Except I'd include places for awesome fishing as well !
Old 11-23-2007, 08:14 PM

What about these pics??? All from the Caribbean side of Mexico.
Headed back there for my third time again this winter.
All little fishin and a lot of Margaritas.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1 (112)-640.jpg (48.2 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg 1 (113)-640.jpg (43.1 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg P2210331-640.jpg (35.2 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg P2210476-640.jpg (52.7 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg P2210486-640.jpg (43.9 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg P2210489-640.jpg (50.5 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg P2260646-640.jpg (31.8 KB, 16 views)

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Benelli, Sako, Beretta, Tikka, Franchi, Burris, & Steiner
Old 11-23-2007, 08:16 PM

CR has great big game hunting of the scaley kind.......Sailfish, Marlin etc. I plan on being there from late Jan to late Mar..........and I can't wait....wohoo.........or is it Wahoo .......lol
Old 11-23-2007, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnino54 View Post
CR has great big game hunting of the scaley kind.......Sailfish, Marlin etc. I plan on being there from late Jan to late Mar..........and I can't wait....wohoo.........or is it Wahoo .......lol
Some of the best tarpon fishing, also!
Old 11-24-2007, 10:32 AM

Sheephunter,

Haven't settled 100% on an outfit yet but am leaning towards Gras Ranch. Lots of good reports about it. The lodge is well kept with all the amenities, the vehicles are well maintained, the food is interesting and excellent, there's fishing at the nearby Fish River, bird hunting is available and the hunting is everything one could hope for. I want a Kudu, a Gemsbok, a Hartman's Zebra, a Springbuck and a Blue Wildebeest. My hunting buddy wants a Kudu, a Gemsbok, an Eland, Springbuck and a Impala. My wife wants to come along and so does my buddy's. This will be our first African hunt but probably not our last. The plan is to do an international hunt once a year so if anyone has any recommendations, I'm open to them. Red Stag in Argentina is of interest as well.

Bobby B.
Old 11-24-2007, 01:30 PM
sheephunter

Ya, we've got it narrowed down to Byseewah Safaris or Klawerberg but will wait until after the SCI convention to book, You never know what deals you might find there.
Old 11-24-2007, 01:50 PM

Bobby B., that's awesome man! I now hate you, but that's still awesome!

Many of my family members go to Cuba every year and love it. One day I'll hit Belieze or the British Houduras for some Tarpons. I also have a buddy that flys down to Cabo San Lucas every year. The fishing is some of the best in the world. Enjoy your trips and we want pics or else!

Tree
Old 11-24-2007, 01:50 PM

There sure as heck is good hunting in the Caribbean!!

Done fab dove Hunting and duck shooting in Cuba.Only place I ever shot Bahama pintails---yes indeed!--they do exist!
Old 11-24-2007, 02:11 PM

Treeguy, you'll hate me even more after reading this. We're booked for Los Cabos for 2 weeks beginning January 25/08. We're meeting up with some friends from Spain, one of them goes fishing every year with the same local and I'm invited to go. The fishing is supposed to be pretty good as the local knows the hotspots. However, my deep sea fishing record is dismal; after three excursions on separate vacations, I've caught one 2 lb. banana fish, one 35 lb wahoo and one 3 lb barracuda. We're trying to decide where to book our second Caribbean vacation for Feb/March.

Bobby B.
Old 11-24-2007, 02:35 PM

bob seems like you are just a world traveler lately.

i thought you had decided on going with an outfit in Namibia?
Old 11-24-2007, 02:38 PM

Oh, Bobby, if ya ever feel the urge to adopt a child........I'm 34, but have the maturity of of a 5 year old. I'm toilett trained (mostly) and can be very helpful around the house....I can make toast for instance! Let me know.

Tree
Old 11-24-2007, 04:28 PM

Sa Lefty,

The Gras Ranch is in Namibia, about 2.5 hrs straight south of Windhoek.

Bobby B.
Old 11-24-2007, 06:08 PM

Before kids, my wife and I went to Guadeloupe, French West Indies. We stayed at Club Med . . . sure was a great time. They are right on the ocean, beautiful beach, and they can plan day trips for you. The club is located about a mile from where, when I was a whole lot younger, used to live. Don't worry about not knowing French as at the Club they use English and a lot of the tour guides know English also. Made a lot of friends while we were there. They came from all over the world, some even had their own yachts which they moored in the quiet water between the reef and the beach. I wonder when my boss is going to pay for me to go away again??
Old 11-25-2007, 08:36 AM
troller

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprinklerdog View Post
Costa Rica. We stayed at this place www.paradisusplayaconchal.travel/ and I would go back there in a minute.

Geo
X2...we ended up buying a smaller house in Quepos...we love it there!!!