Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

View Poll Results: Do you believe in evolution or creation?
Creation 119 29.38%
Evolution 286 70.62%
Voters: 405. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 06-09-2017, 10:32 PM
Banned

Default Evolution vs Creation

What do you believe in? And what is a piece of conclusive evidence you use to support your belief?

I believe the fact that geneticists have proven that rarely, if ever, does a mutation provide new or useful information. Given this fact, it is mathematically impossible to have the life we do today in the timeframe proposed.

In addition, nobody has explained what cause the Big Bang, where the matter was prior, so on and so forth. There are numerous theories but nothing has been proven.

In short, one needs more faith to believe in evolution than to believe in creation.
Old 06-09-2017, 10:33 PM

This can't end well.
Sit back
Pour yourself a tea

Watch us "sportsmen" attack each other and destroy ourselves from within.

From road hunters vs "real hunters" to bowhunters vs rifle hunters, long bows and recurves vs compound user to bow vs crossbow to white hunters vs Native hunters etc etc etc

Enjoy the easy ride, anti hunters. Strange to me why we seem to be doing your job for you.

Excuse me while I go puke.
Old 06-09-2017, 10:40 PM

I believe I see a flat earther poll on the event horizon.
Old 06-09-2017, 10:45 PM
Banned

So one has to ask - how old do you think the earth is? 5000 to 6000 years or 4.6 billion years? Do you believe in half life of elements?

Dinosaur fossils? They aren't actually bone by the way, the majority of fossils have all organic materials replaced with minerals - so essentially rock. Dinos likely died off some 66 million years ago - and not because of the asteroid that hit the Yucatan Peninsula 65 million years ago.

DNA that makes us "human" only makes up for less than 9% of our genome. The rest "was" considered junk - mostly retrovirus DNA. Now if you really want to smoke the noodle, have a look at virus evolution and it's direct effects on us. Viruses likely made us human and still work with us today. Pregnancy and the placenta is directly affected by a retrovirus.

It's a myth that humans evolved from monkeys - more likely we have a common ape like ancestor.
Old 06-09-2017, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newview01 View Post
What do you believe in? And what is a piece of conclusive evidence you use to support your belief?

I believe the fact that geneticists have proven that rarely, if ever, does a mutation provide new or useful information. Given this fact, it is mathematically impossible to have the life we do today in the timeframe proposed.

In addition, nobody has explained what cause the Big Bang, where the matter was prior, so on and so forth. There are numerous theories but nothing has been proven.

In short, one needs more faith to believe in evolution than to believe in creation.

Earth is only 6000 years old. Climate change is obviously a hoax based on that fact, as there was no climate past that date. Carbon dating is just dumb. Half-life of isotopes is completey made up of unicorn dreams. Nothing to to back
that up.

As far as your statements, do you have a source you can share as to where you got it from? Because as a student of genetics in University for 4 years, I know it will not be credible.... but feel free to prove me wrong...

Last edited by bloopbloob; 06-09-2017 at 10:54 PM.
Old 06-09-2017, 10:48 PM
Banned

Unlike religion, one doesn't believe in science.

One understands it. No faith required.
Old 06-09-2017, 10:57 PM
Banned

Default I will sleep better !

Knowing that these perplexing problems are
being scrutinized where great minds abide .
Au contraire mon ami DO , these little forays
Into the improbable always end well .
Old 06-09-2017, 11:00 PM
Banned

If you want to understand the big bang theory, you really need to jump into multiverse and quantum mechanics and quantum physics. Many think of the big bang in the idea of single universe - single entity - that's impossible. That everything came from a single compressed ball of whatever that blew up isn't the theory.

Think about hanging multiple bed sheets on a clothes line, side by side. Each layer of sheet is it's own universe and as they blow in the breeze, they bang together - create an explosion. I don't pretend to understand the math, but there's some pretty brilliant minds that understand it - the math is double checked by others. Quantum anything is pretty interesting, many great videos on youtube to explain it in laymans terms. I'm not doing a very good job of it.

Religion is the biggest limitation to the human mind.
Old 06-09-2017, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alta270 View Post
Unlike religion, one doesn't believe in science.

One understands it. No faith required.
Except Science is routinely proven false and changing. I mean they can't even figure out what our appendix does but they want me to believe they know what life on earth was like millions of years ago, fat chance. Also there is no known instances of macro evolution in mammals. You'd think if macro evolution was real it would still be happening today and we'd be seeing all sorts of new species emerge, but were not. Actually the reverse is true we're losing species at an alarming rate. It's more plausible that the earth was actually filled with more species in the beginning and that they've become extinct over time.

I dont think theres really any argument against micro evolution though.
Old 06-09-2017, 11:05 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloopbloob View Post
Earth is only 6000 years old. Climate change is obviously a hoax based on that fact, as there was no climate past that date. Carbon dating is just dumb. Half-life of isotopes is completey made up of unicorn dreams. Nothing to to back
that up.

As far as your statements, do you have a source you can share as to where you got it from? Because as a student of genetics in University for 4 years, I know it will not be credible.... but feel free to prove me wrong...
1000 Genomes Project
by Brian Thomas, M.S.
Quote:
In 2008, an extensive international effort was begun to sequence in unprecedented detail over 1,000 representative human genomes from around the world. The results of three preliminary pilot projects were published in October 2010—one of which uncovered a result that points to a youthful age for the human race.

In this pilot project, researchers examined in great detail the DNA base sequences from two families, including the mother, father, and child of each. A summary of the results appeared in Science, which stated that based on the data, "offspring inherit about 60 mutations that arose in their parents."1

In large measure, the research for the "1000 Genomes Project" is aimed at pinpointing exactly which mutations cause which diseases. Knowing the number of new mutations that arise with each generation can assist with tracking the new diseases that they may cause.

The measurement of close to 60 new mutations occurring within the reproductive cells of each generation is less than a prior estimate of 100.2 This figure can help answer key questions. For example, does this number of mutations provide enough "fuel" for change to have innovated modern humanity from primate ancestors? Also, can the potentially harmful effects of this rate of mutation accumulation be somehow reversed before too many incorrect DNA bases compromise humanity's survival?

Currently, the most accurate way to answer these questions is to use the freely downloadable population genetics modeling program called Mendel's Accountant.3 Developed by a team of scientists, including Cornell University plant geneticist John Sanford, the program calculates the cumulative effects on the fitness (average survivability) of individuals that inherit mutations— some beneficial, some harmful, but mostly neutral—over multiple generations.

The study of mutations that have no, or almost no, effect has presented a longstanding problem for evolutionary biology. Since these near-neutral mutations produce such tiny effects in cells, they do not appreciably affect any trait that is expressed in the organism.4 Therefore, these mutations are undetectable by any imagined natural process and simply add up over the generations.

Mendel's Accountant can simulate, with unprecedented biological accuracy, the result of this accumulation. Assuming a population size of 2,000 individuals, assuming that each mother has six children, and using the rate of 60 mutations per generation in the algorithms, the simulation shows the extinction of the human race after only 350 generations. This also assumes that natural selection would have been effective at removing the least fit from the population every generation.

If this result is anywhere close to correct—that humanity's genetic mutations would have led to extinction within 350 generations—how could that possibly fit within evolution's long ages? But if the total age of the world is about 6,000 years,5 as is consistent with biblical history, then mankind has been here for fewer than 300 generations.6 Thus, the latest and most accurate research into human genetics confirms a straightforward reading of the biblical account of origins and human history.
I don't mind being proven wrong, no source is perfect. I don't want to claim facts when there are no facts. Let me know what you think of this.
Old 06-09-2017, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newellknik View Post
Knowing that these perplexing problems are
being scrutinized where great minds abide .
Au contraire mon ami DO , these little forays
Into the improbable always end well .
Troll is all you are. I have bred several hundred generations of drosophila melanogaster, and I know what is possible with genetics and mutations first hand. Enjoy your troll session.
Old 06-09-2017, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco View Post
I believe I see a flat earther poll on the event horizon.
lol

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 06-09-2017, 11:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
1000 Genomes Project
by Brian Thomas, M.S.
Institute for creation research? Not at all biased eh?

I'll have to find it, but there was another genome project that chased mutations in the Y chromosome back up the tree - to Africa.
Old 06-09-2017, 11:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverdoctor View Post
Institute for creation research? Not at all biased eh?

I'll have to find it, but there was another genome project that chased mutations in the Y chromosome back up the tree - to Africa.
My reading into this debate over the years has proven one thing to me - there is no unbiased research concerning this, one way or the other.
Old 06-09-2017, 11:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
My reading into this debate over the years has proven one thing to me - there is no unbiased research concerning this, one way or the other.
So, answer the questions you were asked... You started the thread, have a creationist ideal, I'm truly interested.
Old 06-09-2017, 11:25 PM

I'm pretty sure this thread won't change anyone's mind and will only serve to get people bent out of shape, some people will be getting time outs and yet others may be taking a ride on a band wagon - so I'm interested in the discussion, but more interested in remaining a member here on the forum.

I also don't want to inadvertently disrespect those members who do not share my views.

But I will be lurking. I'm making popcorn now. This should be entertaining.
Old 06-09-2017, 11:31 PM

Default Why?

Why does the fact that someone believes in God (Christian) so aggitate others?
It seems like there are people out there that say "I dont believe in God and I hate him and those that believe in him". What have I personally ever done to any of you on this forum to deserve some of the vitriolic comments directed my way for my beliefs? I have a perfect trader rating and you can ask those I have dealt with if I am a nice guy and a credit to the forum and the answer is probably going to be a resounding yes. If we got together for a beer you might find you enjoyed your time hanging out.

Ask yourself why you become upset about someone merely asking the question if you believe in evolution or creation? Its an interesting question. One philosophers have been asking in various ways for hundreds if not thousands of years. How did I get here? What is the meaning of life? Is there a God? If so what does that mean, if not what does that mean? There are some very intelligent people on both sides of this issue with more letters behind there names than you can shake a stick at. Premier on this list is Dr David Berlinsky an agnostic Jew who I find very interesting and challenging. If your are truely an open minded person I would suggest looking at some of his work. He is the farthest thing from a "religious nutjob" He asks some very powerful questions about the existing scientific paradigm. Take a chance and watch you might have your mind opened

https://youtu.be/S89IskZI740
Old 06-09-2017, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg View Post
It seems like there are people out there that say "I dont believe in God and I hate him and those that believe in him". What have I personally ever done to any of you on this forum to deserve some of the vitriolic comments directed my way for my beliefs? I have a perfect trader rating and you can ask those I have dealt with if I am a nice guy and a credit to the forum and the answer is probably going to be a resounding yes. If we got together for a beer you might find you enjoyed your time hanging out.

Ask yourself why you become upset about someone merely asking the question if you believe in evolution or creation? Its an interesting question. One philosophers have been asking in various ways for hundreds if not thousands of years. How did I get here? What is the meaning of life? Is there a God? If so what does that mean, if not what does that mean? There are some very intelligent people on both sides of this issue with more letters behind there names than you can shake a stick at. Premier on this list is Dr David Berlinsky an agnostic Jew who I find very interesting and challenging. If your are truely an open minded person I would suggest looking at some of his work. He is the farthest thing from a "religious nutjob" He asks some very powerful questions about the existing scientific paradigm. Take a chance and watch you might have your mind opened

Apparently Jesus had a younger brother, Chinese would you believe and before he was done, 20 million of his fellow countrymen were dead. Amazing what blind faith can accomplish.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taiping_Rebellion

Grizz
Old 06-09-2017, 11:41 PM
Banned

Quote:

How can one hate something that one doesn't believe in, like a god, for instance. How can one hate fairies, if one doesn't believe in them? Heck, I don't believe in Santa Claus, but I sure don't hate him.

It is an interesting jump in logic to say one hates something that one doesn't even acknowledge its existence.
Old 06-09-2017, 11:43 PM
Banned

Quote:

First of all, I can't hate something that i don't believe in. Secondly, I was raised Catholic - communion, confirmed etc. Been there, done that.

I don't know why people get offended by someone questioning others' belief? If you are so set in your belief, then it shouldn't upset you to be questioned - and answer questions. According to Christ, your job is to pass along the good news. But there always seems to be this clear division. Can't we ever talk about anything anymore? Can't we question anymore?

Religion fascinates me. People that follow religion fascinate me. I've never been a believer - but I do try to understand what others' believe and why. Is that so bad? This isn't you against me. The OP asked a few questions, couldn't understand the theory, I tried to answer.
Old 06-09-2017, 11:46 PM

Default I agree

Quote:
First of all, I can't hate something that i don't believe in. Secondly, I was raised Catholic - communion, confirmed etc. Been there, done that.

I don't know why people get offended by someone questioning others' belief? If you are so set in your belief, then it shouldn't upset you to be questioned - and answer questions. According to Christ, your job is to pass along the good news. But there always seems to be this clear division. Can't we ever talk about anything anymore? Can't we question anymore?

Religion fascinates me. People that follow religion fascinate me. I've never been a believer - but I do try to understand what others' believe and why. Is that so bad? This isn't you against me. The OP asked a few questions, couldn't understand the theory, I tried to answer.
I agree with much of this statement.

I enjoy discussing these big issues and exchanging ideas and find you to be quite respectful in most cases.

Sorry for the derail back to the question at hand.
Old 06-10-2017, 12:03 AM

Billion year old Rock stratigraphy.

Ancient fossil algae to dinosaurs to pre Homo sapiens. Over millions and millions of years.

Carbon dating.

Curious. How thinks mankind walked with dinosaurs? And not the movies.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 06-10-2017, 12:37 AM

Socrates had a good idea. In other words.. everything is a theory.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 18274798_10154341493717680_7747577641737258412_n.jpg (25.1 KB, 108 views)
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 06-10-2017, 01:08 AM

We are all organic. No matter what religion one follows all paths lead our physical bodies back to the dust of the earth. Mother earth even has gravity to hold all life close.

If we want to talk tangents...
Humans and all creatures have a small electrical charge known as the etheric body. When death begets us our etheric body's electrical charge disappears. The human body's electrical charge is measureable. With millions of lives' etheric energies released daily in death, where does those electrical charges go?

This etheric electrical energy could be attracted back by the earth's gravity as an integral part of the earth's electrical energies.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg evolution 2 rework.jpg (34.8 KB, 86 views)
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets

Last edited by Red Bullets; 06-10-2017 at 01:26 AM.
Old 06-10-2017, 01:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
Billion year old Rock stratigraphy.

Ancient fossil algae to dinosaurs to pre Homo sapiens. Over millions and millions of years.

Carbon dating.

Curious. How thinks mankind walked with dinosaurs? And not the movies.
Carbon dating is only reliable up to 20000 years ago. After that its basically useless. It also assumes that the carbon levels in the atmosphere havent changed during that time.

Scientists have also formed oil in labs using compression and heat in relatively short periods of time.
Old 06-10-2017, 01:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
Carbon dating is only reliable up to 20000 years ago. After that its basically useless. It also assumes that the carbon levels in the atmosphere havent changed during that time.

Scientists have also formed oil in labs using compression and heat in relatively short periods of time.

Scientists are now even trying to compress hydrogen gas between diamond anvils to create a new metal.
https://www.extremetech.com/extreme/...n-into-a-metal
Old 06-10-2017, 03:14 AM

Silly thread
Old 06-10-2017, 04:11 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBark View Post
Silly thread
yup
Old 06-10-2017, 04:42 AM

Talking

Old 06-10-2017, 04:47 AM

Quote:
If you want to understand the big bang theory, you really need to jump into multiverse and quantum mechanics and quantum physics. Many think of the big bang in the idea of single universe - single entity - that's impossible. That everything came from a single compressed ball of whatever that blew up isn't the theory.

Think about hanging multiple bed sheets on a clothes line, side by side. Each layer of sheet is it's own universe and as they blow in the breeze, they bang together - create an explosion. I don't pretend to understand the math, but there's some pretty brilliant minds that understand it - the math is double checked by others. Quantum anything is pretty interesting, many great videos on youtube to explain it in laymans terms. I'm not doing a very good job of it.

Religion is the biggest limitation to the human mind
I'd say hangovers are a bigger limitation to the human mind than religion
Closed Thread