Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

View Poll Results: Do you believe in evolution or creation?
Creation 119 29.38%
Evolution 286 70.62%
Voters: 405. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 06-11-2017, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzy View Post
The current species of all primates us included are the end results of evolution. You're not going to wake up one day and find small humans living in trees in Madagascar, if you really are blind to this and you prefer to think it's much more likely there is god with a magic wand zapping creatures into existence then by all means think it.

There is no middle ground here.
So how does evolution explain 2 sexes? Why do most species need a male and female to reproduce? If we came from bacteria or whatever else and evolved wouldnt it make sense that we could self reproduce?
Old 06-11-2017, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
So how does evolution explain 2 sexes? Why do most species need a male and female to reproduce? If we came from bacteria or whatever else and evolved wouldnt it make sense that we could self reproduce?

I am not 100% sure that bacteria does not have sex. Creation or evolution, if I had a choice having sex would be my way to go

Last edited by covey ridge; 06-11-2017 at 03:04 PM.
Old 06-11-2017, 03:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
There are evolutionary advantages to sexual reproduction. If you want to learn about it, the answer is a 3 second google away.
Old 06-11-2017, 03:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverdoctor View Post
Ok. Can we agree that species go extinct? That is a fact right? You've heard of the term use it or lose it?

So if so many species have gone extinct - and don't get replaced or evolve into a species or creature that can survive changes - there wouldn't be this abundance of life on the planet. If humans didn't evolve to survive disease, viruses, bacteria - we wouldn't exist today. We would all be dead - extinct.

Do you believe that God currently adds new species to the planet?

The earth itself is not static, plates move, continents move - at a rate that your fingernails grow. It's slow, but lets look at the earth over the course of the 6000 years of the bible. Lets say the average plate moves 4 inches a year - over the course of 6000 years, that's 1/3 of a mile. It may not sound like much - but what effect do you think it's going to have on a climate in specific locations?
Obviously, yes species go extinct.

Obviously there is a degree of adaptation or micro-evolution. (It is possible to introduce new dog breeds, easy example)

I also believe that the climate has never stopped changing.

This does not move me to believe in macro evolution.
Old 06-11-2017, 03:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
The current species of all primates us included are the end results of evolution. You're not going to wake up one day and find small humans living in trees in Madagascar, if you really are blind to this and you prefer to think it's much more likely there is god with a magic wand zapping creatures into existence then by all means think it.

You are right, but considering humans are more advanced than primates, one we should wake up and there will be no more monkeys, only people. That is what evolutionists claim.
Old 06-11-2017, 03:15 PM

Quote:

http://www.bbc.com/earth/story/20160...hy-we-have-sex

Just gave it a quick glance but it seems reasonable. Also there's the fact it's more fun than having a rib yanked out to create another person.
Old 06-11-2017, 03:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
You watched the bacteria and antibiotic study that showed a lot of mutations in a very short period of time.

Did you watch it?
Yes, I did watch it. It was incredibly interesting, but does not prove that enough mutations could occur to get to where we are.
Old 06-11-2017, 03:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverdoctor View Post
Actually, no it doesn't. If you go back to the video that MarkG posted (think it was him) with the jewish scientist trying to pull apart Darwins theory - there is one large piece of the puzzle that he is missing. He speaks about using computer models to figure out how we came about.

Many believe that one species goes extinct then a new pair carries on as something else.

It's looking more and more like viruses - specifically retro - that forced evolution. If you get a virus - it will invade your cells and inject it's own DNA into your sequence. if said virus gets into your sperm - and modifies your DNA - and you create an offspring...

It's called evolution of the species. What caused us to evolve?

Less than 10% of our genome makes us human - we are not genetically perfect, no species is. What is the rest? What lives in us, on us - and what protects us from it? Why do we not get sick from everything that can kill us - but lives with us? That's called evolutionary immunology - and it is fascinating.
You are not getting away from the fact that all living organisms are the result of incest. Even with your beliefs, at one point there were two organisms that reproduced to result in the diversity we have today.
Old 06-11-2017, 03:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newview01 View Post
Yes, I did watch it. It was incredibly interesting, but does not prove that enough mutations could occur to get to where we are.
But it did show that a number of 'micro evolutions' ended up in a 'macro evolution'. The end species was nothing like the beginning.

BTW, I notice you didn't comment on all the 'transitional species' I posted evidence on. Does that mean you accept them?
Old 06-11-2017, 03:24 PM

Quote:
You are right, but considering humans are more advanced than primates, one we should wake up and there will be no more monkeys, only people. That is what evolutionists claim.
Who is claiming that? Show me 1 legitimate claim. That's how creationists see evolution.

If you're willing to take the Arc story at face value and not question any of the gaping flaws in it then I understand how you can't allow room for evolution in your life.

If you were to take a minute and look at the evolutionary process you'd see how it works. Nobody is claiming all monkeys turn into people. They claim if you go far enough back all primates shared a common ancestor.
Old 06-11-2017, 03:26 PM
Banned

Quote:

The END RESULTS OF EVOLUTION? !?!

So what would cause evolution stop evolving? SERIOUSLY?

The end results of evolution!!...are you saying that this trout will never evolve into a whale?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1065.jpg (20.9 KB, 11 views)
Old 06-11-2017, 03:30 PM

Quote:
You clearly have no concept what science actually claims. No species is more 'advanced' than other in an evolutionary sense. Every species is perfectly adapted to fill their current niche. If the environment around them changes the species will adapt or go extinct.
Old 06-11-2017, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReconWilly View Post
The END RESULTS OF EVOLUTION? !?!

So what would cause evolution stop evolving? SERIOUSLY?

The end results of evolution!!...are you saying that this trout will never evolve into a whale?
Well ... I don't have a time machine so as of today this is as far as we've gotten.

I suspect that trout will evolve into either supper or a bigger trout. Depends what you did with it.
Old 06-11-2017, 03:34 PM

I am surprised that most believe in Evolution on this site over creation.

Its better to be safe than sorry .

Watch the movie " God's not dead "
Old 06-11-2017, 03:34 PM

Quote:
I think with a little research, you would find most species do not, in fact, need a male and female to reproduce. However, you make a good point, although its likely opposite to what you intended. Sexual reproduction is an evolutionary outcome that actually makes adaption (evolution) occur quicker.
Old 06-11-2017, 03:36 PM

Default 6000 years old

I do not think there are many other than a few here that believe that the Bible proves the earth is as young as 6000 years.
Old 06-11-2017, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Having read your previous posts, I have no doubt you do not have the background to understand whether its mathematically possible or not. You've reached a conclusion without this knowledge as it fits what you are comfortable with.
Old 06-11-2017, 03:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by -JR- View Post

That is because most understand science, versus having faith in the unknown and non-provable. Just because one has a belief in something does not make it true, and that is what faith is. Understanding the scientific method leads to an understanding of how science actually works. See schematic posted earlier.
Old 06-11-2017, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -JR- View Post

You sound like my wife.

Never been to church doesn't pray or observe any relationship with God but believes because she's scared not to .... just in case.

That's how religion works.
Old 06-11-2017, 03:45 PM

I find it perplexing why the 'creationists' on here cannot believe that God could come up with something as amazing and wonderful as evolution to make the incredibly diverse flora and fauna we have today.
Old 06-11-2017, 03:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Thumper View Post
You clearly have no concept what science actually claims. No species is more 'advanced' than other in an evolutionary sense. Every species is perfectly adapted to fill their current niche. If the environment around them changes the species will adapt or go extinct.
So you're telling me that humans, who can reason, are no more advanced than monkeys? We are all on the same level?
Old 06-11-2017, 03:47 PM

Quote:
You won't get to people man. Im a scientist and know how evolution functions. Some of you people don't know how bacteria reproduces. Listen Big Thumper, with the replies on this thread, it is very clear who should be judged on what they say. And be proud of yourself for being able to comprehend something that is proven. One does not believe in evolution, because belief implies blind faith, which is unwise. Facts are based on ontological knowledge, where as religion is um... subjectively epistemological haha
Old 06-11-2017, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Every species is perfectly adapted to fill their current niche. If the environment around them changes the species will adapt or go extinct.
I can wrap my head around that.
Question! Do you think humanity is near that point where we will adapt or go extinct?
Old 06-11-2017, 03:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
You are not getting away from the fact that all living organisms are the result of incest. Even with your beliefs, at one point there were two organisms that reproduced to result in the diversity we have today.
You're not looking for answers. If you were, you would research the science side of things alot more. The answers are out there. I can give you theory, fact, evidence - and it's not going to make a lick of difference to the outcome of this thread or the outcome of your beliefs.

I will however say something that's likely going to upset the apple cart.

Again, I was raised Catholic - even though my mother wasn't practising. Both sides of the family however made sure I was educated in Catholicism, that I went to church, that I went to Catholic schools, that I prayed.

30 years ago, I gave it all up - last talk I had to a Catholic priest was likely at the age of 16. He told me if I don't practise Catholicism, then I am not Catholic. Ok, I'm not Catholic anymore - fair game and he was right. It took me a while to give up on the idea of God. Still finished up to grade 12 in Catholic schools - cause an ass in the chair is funding - and all my friends were there.

Fast forward 30 years - and still, when there's a tragedy in life, subconsciously I still get the urge to get on my knees and pray. Then I catch myself and realize there is nothing there.

People won't like it - but it took alot of years to truly realize how brainwashed I was - it's brainwashing defined. And yes, I can feel free to say that - cause I lived it - and still do.
Old 06-11-2017, 03:53 PM

Quote:
So you're telling me that humans, who can reason, are no more advanced than monkeys? We are all on the same level?
....... some are more advanced than others
Old 06-11-2017, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Nope. Put a bunch of humans in monkey habitat with no food, clothes, or tools and they'll be extinct well before the monkeys. We've evolved our habitat as we evolved. In other words, we created our own habitat in order to support us. To the point that without the habitat that we created we can no longer survive.

Marshall McLuhan
Old 06-11-2017, 03:55 PM

Quote:
That is correct, as long as by 'advanced' you mean in an evolutionary sense. Evolutionary pressures are toward survival(and subsequent reproduction) . If you cannot understand that concept you will never be able to understand what evolutionary theory is.
Because humans have the ability to reason, we tend to hold ourselves in high regard, at least a lay person. (Same as the earth was once considered the center of the universe)
If you can't understand this concept, think of it this way; a fish that is perfectly adapted to its niche could not survive in yours, however, neither could you survive in its niche.
Old 06-11-2017, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyTheory View Post
You won't get to people man. Im a scientist and know how evolution functions. Some of you people don't know how bacteria reproduces. Listen Big Thumper, with the replies on this thread, it is very clear who should be judged on what they say. And be proud of yourself for being able to comprehend something that is proven. One does not believe in evolution, because belief implies blind faith, which is unwise. Facts are based on ontological knowledge, where as religion is um... subjectively epistemological haha
LOL; I should have a decent understanding, I spent enough money on universities.
Old 06-11-2017, 04:10 PM

I am still stuck on the fact that there seems to an excellent understanding of adaptation on this earth , yet not one post in this entire thread has explained how life is/was formed by evalution. Science has yet to show how to create life, only how to duplicate and modify life forms.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk
Old 06-11-2017, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunslinger257 View Post
I am still stuck on the fact that there seems to an excellent understanding of adaptation on this earth , yet not one post in this entire thread has explained how life is/was formed by evalution. Science has yet to show how to create life, only how to duplicate and modify life forms.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk
and yet religion has yet to prove the existence of omnipotence thats not fallacious haha. Not one person that has talked about creationism shows understanding of the natural world and how to interpret data.