Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-23-2018, 09:58 AM

Default Y2Y Plans for Alberta

https://y2y.net/work/what-hot-projec...rta-headwaters
Anyone been following this group. They have a lot of support for their projects and these projects don't seem to have hunters in mind.
Old 03-23-2018, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NS Beagler View Post
these projects don't seem to have hunters in mind.
Their projects most definitely have hunters in mind - but not in the way we would like to be thought of.
Old 03-23-2018, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Anyone been following this group. They have a lot of support for their projects and these projects don't seem to have hunters in mind.
Yes. Extensively. They are eco terrorists that are very well funded and are much more organized than joe outdoorsman.
Old 03-23-2018, 12:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertadiver View Post
Yes. Extensively. They are eco terrorists that are very well funded and are much more organized than joe outdoorsman.
Pretty sad that even some members here support them.

Hey, it doesn’t say they are anti hunting on their website so it must be true
Old 03-23-2018, 12:41 PM

Been posted before, but here's some background info for those that are curious.

Rob has done his research.

http://www.albertaoutdoorsmen.ca/arc...ts-jun-17.html

http://www.albertaoutdoorsmen.ca/arc...s-july-08.html
Old 03-23-2018, 02:59 PM

Thanks for the info. Appears to be a real threat to Outdoors people of North America. I have read that the NDP are working closely with them. Are there any opposition to them beside AOHV?
Old 03-23-2018, 03:06 PM

Here are recommendations from the Yellowstone to Yukon Conservation Initiative and the Canadian Parks and Wilderness Society to protect our headwaters, also available as a .jpg for download:

Implement new forestry ground rules for all Eastern Slopes headwater forests that focus on restoring and sustaining watershed health rather than producing a maximum sustained yield of timber. Replace all commercial logging south of the Ghost River with restoration of our forested headwaters;

End new road building for industrial development in our headwaters;
Create new protected areas in Edmonton, Calgary, Red Deer and Lethbridge’s headwaters to safeguard their water quality and quantity;

Stop new mining for minerals, coal and gravel near our headwaters and within key watersheds;

Repair and revegetate eroding trails, gullies, soil compaction, mud bogs and other damage caused by motorized off-highway recreation, and provide a limited number of well-engineered vehicle trails outside of parks and other important conservation areas.

Focus on developing economic opportunities that emphasize headwaters conservation like low-impact ecotourism with a focus hiking, biking, fishing, hunting and other sustainable activities.

Address the impact of climate change on our headwaters by repairing riparian areas and restoring habitat for fish and wildlife species such as Westslope Cutthroat trout, bull trout and grizzly bear;

Rename the ‘Forestry Trunk Road’ (also known as Hwy 734) Headwaters Trunk Road to honour and value the sources of our water.

Thomas Sowell
Old 03-23-2018, 03:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
Here are recommendations from the Yellowstone to Yukon Conservation Initiative and the Canadian Parks and Wilderness Society to protect our headwaters, also available as a .jpg for download:

Implement new forestry ground rules for all Eastern Slopes headwater forests that focus on restoring and sustaining watershed health rather than producing a maximum sustained yield of timber. Replace all commercial logging south of the Ghost River with restoration of our forested headwaters;

Create new protected areas in Edmonton, Calgary, Red Deer and Lethbridge’s headwaters to safeguard their water quality and quantity;

Stop new mining for minerals, coal and gravel near our headwaters and within key watersheds;

Repair and revegetate eroding trails, gullies, soil compaction, mud bogs and other damage caused by motorized off-highway recreation, and provide a limited number of well-engineered vehicle trails outside of parks and other important conservation areas.

Focus on developing economic opportunities that emphasize headwaters conservation like low-impact ecotourism with a focus hiking, biking, fishing, hunting and other sustainable activities.

Address the impact of climate change on our headwaters by repairing riparian areas and restoring habitat for fish and wildlife species such as Westslope Cutthroat trout, bull trout and grizzly bear;

Rename the ‘Forestry Trunk Road’ (also known as Hwy 734) Headwaters Trunk Road to honour and value the sources of our water.
Most of that sounds not only reasonable, but necessary if we want to have any wilderness left in the future. I want to be able to continue to hunt the way I have, so I see this as a positive.
Old 03-23-2018, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the link. I just donated in memory of my Father who was in awe of Alberta's wild places when he immigrated to southern Alberta.
Old 03-23-2018, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muledriver View Post
Most of that sounds not only reasonable, but necessary if we want to have any wilderness left in the future. I want to be able to continue to hunt the way I have, so I see this as a positive.
Oh, I agree absolutely. Problem is, they are anti hunting and anti access at the core.

Even the alpine club of Canada is worried about what they are up to. They are a very 'green' organization, and if they are suspicious, then so am I!

Quote:
Y2Y is still operating with a connection to the Seattle-based Wildlands Network, an organization that has little use for hunting and trapping. Y2Y is also a member of what they call the Connectivity Policy Coalition, which includes HSUS, Sierra Club, Defenders of Wildlife, and other anti-hunting and trapping organizations.
Old 03-23-2018, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Oh, I agree absolutely. Problem is, they are anti hunting and anti access at the core.!
That is my understanding as well. The are eco extremists looking to close up the corridor from Yellowstone to the Yukon. For this to happen ,to their liking , these areas will need to be designated as parks. If they are parks there will be no hunting and very limited access.
Old 03-23-2018, 07:54 PM

Quote:

Focus on developing economic opportunities that emphasize headwaters conservation like low-impact ecotourism with a focus hiking, biking, fishing,
hunting and other sustainable activities.

Talk is cheap. Easy to lie when you want to reach an end, at any cost. Case in point. Shannon sent a letter to the Crowsnest Quad Squad ensuring that OHV use would continue in the new Castle park..

All they need to do is remove the last few words including hunting and fishing in the plan for any Y2Y area, and they have achieved their goals. Don't be seen as an idiot for actually believing a news release.
Old 03-23-2018, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Black View Post
Talk is cheap. Easy to lie when you want to reach an end, at any cost. Case in point. Shannon sent a letter to the Crowsnest Quad Squad ensuring that OHV use would continue in the new Castle park..

All they need to do is remove the last few words including hunting and fishing in the plan for any Y2Y area, and they have achieved their goals. Don't be seen as an idiot for actually believing a news release.
Your tin foil hat is shifting.

Thomas Sowell
Old 03-23-2018, 08:14 PM

Very original.

Please enlighten me on which part of my post is a fabrication.
Old 03-23-2018, 08:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
Your tin foil hat is shifting.
No, you don’t see this for what it is.
Old 03-23-2018, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Very original.

Please enlighten me on which part of my post is a fabrication.
I didn't say it was fabricated. You seem to think everyone is lying, if it doesn't fit your preconceived notions, then it's a lie. I did my own research, I put a lot of time filling in two South Saskatchewan regional plan questionnaires. It is going better than I had hoped for. Your idea of what wilderness should look like is obviously far different than what I think it should look like. Going by what the regional plan looks like I would say I'm more in line with the majority of Albertan's than you are. That's all right, it takes all kinds to make this world work.

Thomas Sowell
Old 03-23-2018, 08:26 PM

No, you're right. My mistake. They believe in hunting and fishing,,,,, as indigenous rights. If you are fn fill your boots.

You how the google works right? Try to do some research before you post something, so you don't look so foolish.

Either that or try the edit feature on here to delete your comments.

Chao.
Old 03-23-2018, 08:28 PM

Quote:
No, you're right. My mistake. They believe in hunting and fishing,,,,, as indigenous rights. If you are fn fill your boots.

You how the google works right? Try to do some research before you post something, so you don't look so foolish.

Either that or try the edit feature on here to delete your comments.

Chao.
Insults are childish.

Thomas Sowell
Old 03-23-2018, 08:40 PM
Banned

Quote:
Oh, I agree absolutely. Problem is, they are anti hunting and anti access at the core.
That is not what they say on their website:

Y2Y's Hunting, Trapping, and Fishing Policy
  • are appropriate activities within the Yellowstone to Yukon region, provided that they are conducted in an ethical manner that includes fair chase principles;
  • and may be appropriate means to help maintain or manage fish and wildlife population health.

Quote:
Even the alpine club of Canada is worried about what they are up to. They are a very 'green' organization, and if they are suspicious, then so am I!
I could not find any reference to the Alpine club saying that. They do show Y2Y as a partner on their website. And Suzuki..... grrrr.
Old 03-23-2018, 09:13 PM

Talk about selective reporting. You got those quotes from their revised policy for spring, 2017 right?

How about posting the two points that are above the ones you posted, you know the ones about indigenous rights?

Where do they state they support ALL USERS having the same hunting and fishing privileges in Y2Y areas?
Old 03-23-2018, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muledriver View Post
That is not what they say on their website:

Y2Y's Hunting, Trapping, and Fishing Policy
  • are appropriate activities within the Yellowstone to Yukon region, provided that they are conducted in an ethical manner that includes fair chase principles;
  • and may be appropriate means to help maintain or manage fish and wildlife population health.

I could not find any reference to the Alpine club saying that. They do show Y2Y as a partner on their website. And Suzuki..... grrrr.
Understood, I’ll post up some backup when I’m in front of my computer later.

I get the skepticism and how my posts on this matter come across as alarmist. I’m not a ‘tinfoil’ guy or a sky is falling type of person by any means.

I’d like to see the eastern slopes cared for just as much as most folks.
Old 03-23-2018, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Understood, I’ll post up some backup when I’m in front of my computer later.

I get the skepticism and how my posts on this matter come across as alarmist. I’m not a ‘tinfoil’ guy or a sky is falling type of person by any means.

I’d like to see the eastern slopes cared for just as much as most folks.
Please do, all I've seen here on AO is opinion pieces and BS slippery slope conspiracy theories including Miskosky's.

Sometimes to achieve a long term goal you have to ally yourself with people and organizations that you don't necessarily 100% agree with. This is one of those times.
Old 03-23-2018, 09:46 PM

Just like pre war Germany.
Old 03-23-2018, 10:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
Talk about selective reporting. You got those quotes from their revised policy for spring, 2017 right?

How about posting the two points that are above the ones you posted, you know the ones about indigenous rights?

Where do they state they support ALL USERS having the same hunting and fishing privileges in Y2Y areas?
I didn't think I was being selective. We all know that indigenous people in Canada have a right to hunt, and the rest of us, only have a privilege. I am concerned that we continue to have that privilege, and that we have wild places to practice it.
Old 03-24-2018, 07:29 AM

Old 03-24-2018, 07:38 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco View Post
Please do, all I've seen here on AO is opinion pieces and BS slippery slope conspiracy theories including Miskosky's.

Sometimes to achieve a long term goal you have to ally yourself with people and organizations that you don't necessarily 100% agree with. This is one of those times.
I don't think you understand this organization's goals, and how powerful they are with the government backing them.

But we're just a stuck record to you at this point. Even though there is evidence to back up what we are saying.
Old 03-24-2018, 09:11 AM

Default Y2Y is not good for access.

The Alberta Fish And Game Association has sat down with Y2Y and their end goal is to make a national park like corridor from the Yellowstone to the Yukon this includes all of Alberta’s Rocky Mountains if you think there will be hunting access to this park you are dead wrong. This is not a conspiracy theory it is true to life and has been in the works for many years. They are very well funded from anti’s and governments alike Canada, United States and over sea’s. If you think that Miskosky has not done his research you are also dead wrong they can write what ever they want on their website to mislead the people much like the NDP government of Alberta but let me assure you there is more to it than you know and it is not access friendly for the outdoorsman of Alberta.
Old 03-24-2018, 09:15 AM

Question here for those who know (I basically have done no research on the topic):

It sounds like Y2Y basically wants a national park like area with restricted access, but does aim to still allow fishing. Many of my best fishing experiences in the mountains and foothills have been in the national parks or other similar areas where access is restricted, leading to lower pressure. How will Y2Y be different and potentially worse for me?
Old 03-24-2018, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Been posted before, but here's some background info for those that are curious.

Rob has done his research.

http://www.albertaoutdoorsmen.ca/arc...ts-jun-17.html

http://www.albertaoutdoorsmen.ca/arc...s-july-08.html
Thanks for posting this Albertadiver.

Dodger
Old 03-24-2018, 09:41 AM

Default That is a good question fishpro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishpro View Post
Question here for those who know (I basically have done no research on the topic):

It sounds like Y2Y basically wants a national park like area with restricted access, but does aim to still allow fishing. Many of my best fishing experiences in the mountains and foothills have been in the national parks or other similar areas where access is restricted, leading to lower pressure. How will Y2Y be different and potentially worse for me?
I guess access for fishing is a nonissue when your young and able but when you get older you will wish you could reach your favourite fishing spot and can’t because you can not access it. It’s the problem for many people to not be able to access OUR public lands.
The bigger issue with Y2Y is hunting access as they are in bed with other organizations such as The World Wildlife Fund that wants to completely shut down any hunting for bears cougars and wolves.
Also the trap lines will all be taken away in these regions.