Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-23-2018, 06:04 PM

In a perfect world, If a sign says "maximum height is xxx" then you should be able to drive through there with no issues if your vehicle is lower than that height. Doesn't matter if the ground is angled up or down, that should all be taken for consideration when the sign is displayed. They should be covering the damages.

Personally if my vehicle is within an inch or two though, I don't even bother. The headache is not worth it.
Old 03-23-2018, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETOWNCANUCK View Post
Why guys with big trucks insist they can go where ever a car can, stock or not is beyond me.

Sometimes just because you can fit,
Doesn't mean you should sit.
Bingo
Old 03-23-2018, 07:36 PM

1) The call to the insurance company should go to the parkade owner/operator's insurance company, not yours. The parkade operators needs to make that call. Your insurance isn't paying for their negligence, error or oversight in not properly signing the clearance heights. They will also not act as your advocate and waste thier time to collect your money becuase they don't get anything out of the deal. Your insurance company, in fact, will likely record this incident and could use that information against you in identifying you as having a 3rd party no fault claim which could lead them to raise your premiums as you may be deemed to present a higher risk to them. These guys are unscrupulous. the less they know, the less ammo they get to play games with you. Maybe I need tinfoil on this one - but ALL these guys (insurance companies) are shrew businessmen - they didn't get rich doing you any favours.

2) Never trust a clearance sign - so many reasons mentioned, grades, slopes, re-surfacing, post construction piping, sprinklers, ducts, whatever. My truck is about 6'-6" and even at a clearance of 7ft - I am diligent and have, in fact, had a few pipes barely clear in more than a number of parkades leading me to believe this is not an uncommon issue/problem.

3) Like others said - take photos of the sign at the entrance, the place of impact (with a measurement device in the picture), pictures of the damage and similar pictures of your trucks height (also with a tape measure in the picture). Get evidence.

Sorry about your incident - that would suck and it could be a pain in the butt for you to finally collect your settlement. Good news is that nobody was hurt.
Old 03-23-2018, 07:52 PM
Banned

Scared the crap outta myself after a wrong turn in them parades a few times, was always lucky though, make sure you get a pic of that clearance sign in case they try changing it to a lower one, I feel your pain,that’s not cool at all!
Old 03-23-2018, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgill808 View Post
In a perfect world, If a sign says "maximum height is xxx" then you should be able to drive through there with no issues if your vehicle is lower than that height. Doesn't matter if the ground is angled up or down, that should all be taken for consideration when the sign is displayed. They should be covering the damages.

Personally if my vehicle is within an inch or two though, I don't even bother. The headache is not worth it.
actually the incline / wheelbase ratio makes a huge difference . why do you think so many trucks used to get stuck in the " rat hole " in edmonton . you can have 13.5 feet of clearance but if your front and back wheels are on an incline / decline the center of the vehicle will need more clearance . to take all this into consideration , as you suggest , the clearance would have to be adjusted to the longest possible wheelbased vehicle that may ever enter . and how do you do that ?
Old 03-23-2018, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liar View Post
actually the incline / wheelbase ratio makes a huge difference . why do you think so many trucks used to get stuck in the " rat hole " in edmonton . you can have 13.5 feet of clearance but if your front and back wheels are on an incline / decline the center of the vehicle will need more clearance . to take all this into consideration , as you suggest , the clearance would have to be adjusted to the longest possible wheelbased vehicle that may ever enter . and how do you do that ?
I see what you mean. Can't they just put an "enter at your own risk" sign? If there is no way to measure for all factors.

I drive a truck and just choose not to mess with parkades much. I would rather leave it outside even if I have to walk a bit. I hate those tight spaces, and having people park so close and hit my doors.
Old 03-23-2018, 09:17 PM

How tall is your truck?
I noticed that’s one piece of info left out.
Old 03-23-2018, 09:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
Good news is that nobody was hurt.
He did not drive into the parkade at 100 km/h.
Old 03-23-2018, 09:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by liar View Post
You can’t.
Old 03-23-2018, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monica B View Post
He did not drive into the parkade at 100 km/h.
Wuh?

I'm not sure I'm catching what your pitching here.
Old 03-23-2018, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpstick View Post
Long story short:
Took my truck to a detailing place in the basement of the parkade in 8th Ave Place. Sign says 6 foot, 11 inches. I stop to measure, look out my sunroof and I have 2-3 inches clearance... Perfect. Drive down to the 5th floor, just in front of the car detailer and I hear a nasty grinding, rubbing. I stop, stand on my running board to look and sure enough my roof is rubbing against the clamp on one of the pipes. I back up and try to avoid that clamp and move forward to where the detailers tell me to park and I hit another clamp, this one a bit lower.
I am fuming, discuss this with the car detailers which cannot hardly speak English. I then go up to talk to the person at the front desk of the building who gives me a name and number. I have been talking to him this week and he has been saying he will look into it. I have pictures, I explain to him that those clamps are no way 6 foot 11 inches and offer to take him down to show him exactly where this happened.
I received an email from him last night stating that if I haven't done so, to contact my insurance company...
Is he suggesting I go through my insurance and make a claim? I don't want to make a claim as I don't want my premiums to go up and this is not my fault.
I responded to him asking for an explanation on what they are going to do or if he is suggesting I make a claim through my insurance company... waiting for a response.

Any thoughts on what I should/need to be doing?

To those that are wondering, I drive a 2017 Ford 350. Stock tires and no lift kit...

Thanks,
SS
im sure if you check you will find a sign that says use car park at own risk most do.

mack
Old 03-24-2018, 10:41 AM

FYI. I won't take my F150 into Bankers Hall parkade again. Going down was no issue, but the exit ramp and exit was. The exit ramp is such a tight turn I thought for sure I was going to leave paint on the walls. Then at the exit before the ticket reader, they had set up a sort of slalom (to slow cars down?). Again, I thought that I would be leaving paint on one of the metal posts. Not sure why they would make such tight turns on that slalom. There were no signs saying "No trucks". That exit ramp from the lower levels is very tight.
Old 03-24-2018, 12:36 PM

Without being too philosophical, there is a lot of people stating that signs cannot be trusted, enter at own risk. A sign is there for a reason, and like everything in life, carries accountability.

It will be foolish of me disbelieving stop signs, one way signs, speed signs etc. Or is it not?

"Why guys with big trucks insist they can go where ever a car can, stock or not is beyond me."

"My point being is, don't always count on the height given on the sign at the entrance"

"IF you believe every sign that tells you height , width or other . The onus is on you to verify it is so! Same as water depth and diving in the dark , Check it out !"
Old 03-24-2018, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETOWNCANUCK View Post
And sometimes we need to take responsibility for our own actions and not expect someone else to pay for it.

Because it is possible to make a mistake,

I was once married I made mistakes all the time so I was told
That works both ways you know.

Why have the sign in the first place then? Just replace it with a "give 'er" sign.

Or no trucks?

Survivor of the dread covid
Pureblood!
Old 03-24-2018, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Cox View Post
How tall is your truck?
I noticed that’s one piece of info left out.
I looked it up, and the tallest model of his truck would be 6' 8". The heavier versions would sit a little lower, and any load, such as fluids, and passengers would bring it lower yet.

Survivor of the dread covid
Pureblood!
Old 03-24-2018, 03:29 PM

Someone should take a tape measure to the truck in question.
Old 03-24-2018, 03:36 PM
AO Sponsor

The roof of my truck is higher in the middle than it is at the door... when you measured I would assume you measured at the door. This might be your difference...
Old 03-24-2018, 11:48 PM

West Edmonton Mall parkade measurements outside Burbon Street are considerably off.

There is a horizontal bash bar (PVC pipe) to tell you the max clearance and mine has about 4" of clearance untill I started backing into a stall (as I allways do) my canopy started scraping the parkade roof. I was watching so it was just a few scrapes. Didn't even bother reporting it, not worth the hassle for me.

Be aware if ever parking there.

Kay clinic at U of A's parkade are also off on measurements