Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-24-2007, 06:53 PM
Doc Holiday

Question Euro mount

Guys.. need a little advice. Just finished boiling my whitey tonite. Took him to the carwash.. ( with many funny looks of course.. LOL) Hes in dry out mode now. When boiling, I had covered the bases w/ tinfoil & ducktape, but from the heat and steam, the rack has lost quite a bit of color. Any advice how to get the color back after I bleach the skull? It was a real nice chocolate brown. It still looks nice, but would like the color back.

Thx....... Doc.
Old 11-24-2007, 07:11 PM
jrs

Where are you located at? I have some stuff in storage for re-coloring antlers, can't remember name/ingredients at this time. I could give you some if your anywhere near me. (Red Deer or Lethbridge?). Otherwise i can look it up for you in the coming weeks, you should be able to find all the ingredients still (only 2 if i remember correctly). I'd bleach it first though, then recolor as some more color may go away.
Old 11-24-2007, 08:08 PM

My spelling of the name wont be right so here it goes

Potasium permagamate.........you brush it on let it dry then a light once over with fine steel wool then sand paper the tips to bring out the white points.

Oh and as well dont use "bleach to whiten your skull"..use peroxide. I use 1 cup 50% to about 1 gallon of water keeping it at room temp. You can buy 3% at the drug store wrap your skull in a cloth and keep the cloth as moist as possible all day. Take the cloth of pick away any left over material and repeat for another day. Now this is the real finnishing touch......."place the skull out in DIRECT SUNLIGHT of a day or 2.......this will whiten it up real nice!!

AL
Old 11-25-2007, 12:32 PM
Doc Holiday

Thx fer advice fellers. After drying last nite he turned out awesome. ( near wood stove.. ) Will try peroxide fer sure, heard it works wonders. Jrs.. will send pm later,I am in RD area, maybe we can hook up. Thx again guys, will post finished mount when finished.