Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-25-2007, 11:28 AM

Default What is legally allowed?

I'm off soon to Phoenix. Thought I'd bring back some items for my new rifles. Can I bring these items back in my suitcase? Bullets, brass, reloading dies?

Bobby B.
Old 11-25-2007, 12:40 PM
sheephunter

You are best off to check with the ATF in the U.S. The problems with guns and scopes and accessories don't start in Canada, they start with what you are permitted to take out of the U.S.
Old 11-25-2007, 01:44 PM
stubblejumper

I used to order brass and bullets from the U.S. on a regular basis,but the suppliers that I used to buy from will no longer sell me components.They claim that an export permit is required to export firearms,firearms parts,ammunition,or reloading components from the U.S.
Old 11-25-2007, 01:57 PM

Be leary of what you get fed for info Bob, these regulations change almost weekly, and are written in such a manner that even if today you have it right all it would take is for a individual in a position of power to interpert it another way, and voila your hung up in US Customs having missed a flight and now wondering if it was worth a few bucks saved.
Sorry for a less than crystal clear answer, but in this there is no absolutes for sure.
Don't risk the hassel is all I can offer.

There are no absolutes
Old 11-25-2007, 02:17 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
They claim that an export permit is required to export firearms,firearms parts,ammunition,or reloading components from the U.S.
They claim that because it's the truth. Most Canadians figure that as long as Canada Customs has no problems with the order that they are good to go but the truth is that the ATF and U.S, customs is who you need to worry about. Getting things out of the U.S. is far harder than getting it into Canada. I've had a few people be very rude to me on here when I tried to point this out but it's a fact and calling Canada Customs for clarification is about one tenth of the research you need to do. Rarely will they help you wade through the U.S. requirements either...you need to do that yourself by calling the ATF.