Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 01-20-2020, 10:06 AM

Default Winter foothold sets

So it appears that I'm getting quite the coyote population living in my balestacks at work. The area does not lend itself well to snaring and although I plan on trying to call them from their daytime hidey holes I don't expect much as I have thrown almost my whole foxpro sound list at them at one point or the other.
Which leaves me thinking I should try a foothold or 2.
I have 2 bridgers that I purchased from Marty a few years back but I have never set them.
My knowledge on footholds is quite limited so I figured I would reach out to the experts and see what you all have to say. I understand that footholds and snow do not get along. Is there any tricks to keep them from freezing up?

For my coyote pics @trophy_country_coyotes on instagram

life's too short to fish nymphs
Old 01-20-2020, 10:49 AM

Dunlap have several great video on foot holds. I strongly suggest to look at the link below.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyb..._scbghQ/videos
Old 01-20-2020, 01:02 PM

Work with what you got if they like the bale stacks use that to your advantage. Try a tire set, put scrap tire on the ground, stake trap inside tire dig into snow or ground just enough to burry chain and bed trap tight. Then take hay lightly lay it on top or your trap so it’s good and hidden, use inside of tire to put your lure I like skunk fire especially in hay bales. Trap won’t freeze and the coyote will jump into tire to try and get his prize.
Another is u could set a trap at the mouth of the opening of a few bales, sprinkle hay around like somethings been working in there looking for something and bed your trap good and just put hay overtop. if you have a strong lure in this cold and your trap is bedded good (top of pan level with ground or hard pack snow whatever your in) you will get em.
I personally try to find ways to not have to freeze proof my sets if I don’t have to in this cold. No need to use wax dirt or other freeze proof methods if you have natural settings at your disposal.
Old 01-31-2020, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 204ruger View Post
Work with what you got if they like the bale stacks use that to your advantage. Try a tire set, put scrap tire on the ground, stake trap inside tire dig into snow or ground just enough to burry chain and bed trap tight. Then take hay lightly lay it on top or your trap so it’s good and hidden, use inside of tire to put your lure I like skunk fire especially in hay bales. Trap won’t freeze and the coyote will jump into tire to try and get his prize.
Another is u could set a trap at the mouth of the opening of a few bales, sprinkle hay around like somethings been working in there looking for something and bed your trap good and just put hay overtop. if you have a strong lure in this cold and your trap is bedded good (top of pan level with ground or hard pack snow whatever your in) you will get em.
I personally try to find ways to not have to freeze proof my sets if I don’t have to in this cold. No need to use wax dirt or other freeze proof methods if you have natural settings at your disposal.
Great advice thanks! It took me forever to find my footholds that I lost when I moved. Never did find my lure so I spread lots of straw around for visual appeal and threw a mix of pig fat, pig intestine and cat crap with a small window in the straw to see the bait in the tire.
IMG_20200131_135837 by brad , on Flickr

For my coyote pics @trophy_country_coyotes on instagram

life's too short to fish nymphs
Old 01-31-2020, 04:48 PM

Sweet looks like it’d be very appealing to The furry thieves

Hopefully you get em!
Good luck!