Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-06-2018, 10:03 PM

Default looking for some bear tips

G'day folks. Raised a BC boy but I'm living out near Chipman now, been in alberta for years but haven't ever hunted here and was thinking of taking a few days and am trying to figure out where to head. Not asking for specific spots, who needs the competition right? I'm mobile and don't mind a bit of travel. Right now I have a couple ideas, either roll out to Athabasca and maybe get a bit of fishing in too around Calling lake or maybe Grande Cache / Prairie area and pick up an elk tag just in case something wanders along. If I get a bear then great, if I get an elk amazing (never have before) but to be honest even if I just hang out in the bush for a couple days I'll be happy. Never baited a bear either as that's not legal in BC, not quite sure how that works... unless you count them trying to raid the chicken coop, then ya, I do know how that works. So if anyone has and suggestions or advice on locations, method, sightings, or anything else you'd like to throw in it'd be much appreciated, always open to suggestions.

Cheers,
Greg
Old 10-07-2018, 12:51 AM

Check the regs,baiting is prohibited in many units #becuzgrizzlies
Definitely not allowed around GP or any of the 400s for that matter/most of 300s also,and all of 200s and 100s.
Can bait east of hiway near Calling Lk in 516 but not west in 511
Closer to home for you,no baiting allowed but oat fields are bear magnets right now if you can get permission on some oats,many farmers are happy to let you kill destructive bears even if deer permission is a no-go ....I actually just shot my bear this eve in a late planted canola field,it turns sweet and very attractive to bears/deer/elk etc after a good frost ....my neighbour planted it in late July specifically for deer winter feed,he has no plans to harvest it but he’s an avid hunter.He doesn’t let me hunt deer there on his personal piece of Whitetail heaven but I have carte blanche permission to shoot any bears/cougars/wolves I see...”Don’t even waste time calling me,just shoot’em on sight and call me later.”he says,haha!.....so that said,I whacked me a nice chocolate boar in his canola this evening.😜

Last edited by West O'5; 10-07-2018 at 01:00 AM.
Old 10-07-2018, 10:34 AM

Congrats West, I just came back from a job/home visit to Quesnel and up at the cousins place there was a big guy on the property across the road right next to the tree line, should have won an award that bear cuz he was just outstanding in his field .... sorry, couldn't help it. But that's what got me thinking. What I'm used to is if they don't just wander on the property (I have personally never seen a bear within 100 km where I am now) is to stake out a berry patch on a recent cut block or cruise the forestry roads. I've been checking out satellite maps and unit 350 the area east of swan hills looks a fair bit like what I know just with a few less hills, might be worth a shot.
Old 10-07-2018, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by West O'5 View Post
Check the regs,baiting is prohibited in many units #becuzgrizzlies
Definitely not allowed around GP or any of the 400s for that matter/most of 300s also,and all of 200s and 100s.
Can bait east of hiway near Calling Lk in 516 but not west in 511
Closer to home for you,no baiting allowed but oat fields are bear magnets right now if you can get permission on some oats,many farmers are happy to let you kill destructive bears even if deer permission is a no-go ....I actually just shot my bear this eve in a late planted canola field,it turns sweet and very attractive to bears/deer/elk etc after a good frost ....my neighbour planted it in late July specifically for deer winter feed,he has no plans to harvest it but he’s an avid hunter.He doesn’t let me hunt deer there on his personal piece of Whitetail heaven but I have carte blanche permission to shoot any bears/cougars/wolves I see...”Don’t even waste time calling me,just shoot’em on sight and call me later.”he says,haha!.....so that said,I whacked me a nice chocolate boar in his canola this evening.😜
WEST> Pic please of Mr Chocolate?
Old 10-07-2018, 11:18 AM

Hunt elk and keep your eyes open.

Grizz
Old 10-08-2018, 11:08 AM

Agreed
Old 10-08-2018, 11:29 AM

Calling in black bears can be pretty cool

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk