Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-08-2018, 09:38 AM

Default A different type of trophy.

On Saturday I took the rifle out for a walk in the bush, honestly this time of year is a bit of a weird one for me, I really don't want to shoot anything just yet and with the leaves coming down and covering all the sign scouting is of limited value. However, if I don't go hunting I feel like I'm wasting the season, so off I go regardless.

I was still hunting down an overgrown trail, along a tree'd ridge that runs about 3 km through a big burn, saw 2 nice 4x4 bucks at about 40 yards, a couple does, and one cow moose... then I heard a wild screaming sound in the bush. I just stood there trying to figure out what was making that ungodly racket, all of the sudden two Martin burst out of the bush onto the trail and came barreling down the trail straight at me, both screaming like crazy. I've never heard of anyone getting savaged by a pack of martins before, but I have to admit, I was sort of wondering if I was about to be the first. The martin got to within about 6 feet of me, when the one in the rear seized the tail of the leading martin in its jaws and hauled him to a stop, and then the two started wrestling furiously, like crazed kittens, at times not more than 4' from my feet. This probably went on for almost a minuet, I did have a camera in my pack, but I sort of knew that it wouldn't last long enough to get a picture anyways, so rather than waste the experience digging for my camera I just enjoyed the show. Eventually both martin looked at me, stopped fighting, and ran back into the bush.

A week ago, at a family function, I was trying to explain to a brother who does hunt why I wont shoot an animal from a road anymore, as well as explain to his non-hunter girlfriend why I hunt at all. I told the both of them that I wasn't strictly after horn or meat, but after experiences and memories. Even a meat doe well hunted makes for a good memory, sometimes a game animal doesn't even need to be involved for a trophy grade experience to occur. I know I'll be enjoying the memory of those martin for a very long time.

Last edited by Bushleague; 10-08-2018 at 09:51 AM.
Old 10-08-2018, 09:56 AM

Great story! I don’t hunt at all anymore but I still go out just for those kind of experiences.
Old 10-08-2018, 10:12 AM

Bush league, so sound like a wise and seasoned hunter.
Old 10-08-2018, 10:18 AM

i had a close encounter to being run over by a doe and a fawn last sunday.

I was sitting on the edge of a field since first light and only saw one doe. i decided to head back to the truck around 10am to go do some scouting/grouse hunting.

on the way back to the truck, i was 10yds off the lease road when i heard a truck coming down the road. next thing i know a doe comes barreling full speed into the bush and stopped about 2ft from running me over. she took off to my right and over the bank behind me. the fawn ran by about a foot from me. i couldve reached out and wrestled it to the ground.

it was pretty neat and scary at the same time.
Old 10-08-2018, 10:26 AM

Cool story ,I've had a few encounters like that one with a Wolverine one with a bull moose and wolves chasing it 5 feet from me. Thought it was my huge elk coming out to my calls didn't even have time for a shot on the wolves, I don't hunt much anymore either but those memories are definitely always with you.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 10-08-2018, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35 whelen View Post
Cool story ,I've had a few encounters like that one with a Wolverine one with a bull moose and wolves chasing it 5 feet from me. Thought it was my huge elk coming out to my calls didn't even have time for a shot on the wolves, I don't hunt much anymore either but those memories are definitely always with you.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
A Wolverine, that would be a pretty cool one. I've had plenty of encounters with deer where I probably could have killed them with a baseball bat they were so close, and I once had a lynx let me observe him for about 20 minuets from across a creek that was probably about 30 yards wide. The Martin however were a pretty stand out experience for me. I've probably only ever seen 3 or 4 martin that weren't in a trap in my entire life, and they were fleeting glimpses of a critter dashing across a trail or an opening in the bush, never up close.
Old 10-08-2018, 12:16 PM

My nephew and I were out hunting and he was sitting leaning up against a tree. I was about a 100 yards to his left sitting as well. A little small spike whitetail came from behind my nephew who was sitting motion less. The bucks nosetouched my nephews cheek then he bolted.
Old 10-08-2018, 01:47 PM

I think the fighting martens wanted you to ref the fight. If you had a cell phone handy it would have been neat to get a recording of screaming martens. Use it for a ring tone.

I've had numerous close encounters with a variety of critters and buzzards over the years. Each seemed special and some even felt like a kinship in a way. In my mind anyways. The critter or bird was probably devising a plan to chew my face off.

My favorite encounter was one October when I was camping alone a couple miles in... the first night a red fox came and circled around my campfire. And after a few minutes it sat down. The fox did this every night for 4 nights in a row. It would sit or lay down across the fire from me and stay for the night. I never did feed it or encourage it in any way. Seemed like we were just keeping each other company thru the long lonely nights.

I got a good chuckle watching this bow hunter's encounter. He's lucky he didn't get hurt. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2qe4x5vavI
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets

Last edited by Red Bullets; 10-08-2018 at 01:56 PM.
Old 10-08-2018, 01:54 PM

bushleague, we bipeds are on this planet to hunt and gather thats it.

the gather or hunt consists of four distinct stages:
first blood,
fill all your tags,
trophy quest,
just for fun.

everyone remembers the first one you got, then you get as many as you can, then you go for the best one, then its all about the fun.

this works for whatever is gathered.... deer, fish, coins, sexual partners, jobs, money, cars, its done with clothes, shoes, purses, china sets its just called shopping..
the hunt is all about the choice to gather those resources or let it go.
it is done by every human regardless of gender or lifestyle
watch a zooligists veiw by desmond morris youtube series on THE NAKED APE or THE HUMAN ANIMAL for more details

weatherby fans clik here....
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/group.php?groupid=31
Old 10-08-2018, 04:41 PM

Default A different type of trophy

That would have been so awesome to see. You sure miss a ton of neat experiences when your butt is glued to the truck seat.
Old 10-08-2018, 06:55 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

I was out walking, poking around, not hunting just poking around seeing what's happening and I heard something approaching me very quickly, I swung the ol'303 of my back slipped a round into the chamber just to have a freaking spruce grouse step out and walk right at me....now this is where it got weird...I throw a glove at it, it stomps it, pecks it, next glove lands on top of it and it gives it a what for, not only did this bird make enough noise coming through the woods it had attitude too....the things you experience just poking around the woods.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 10-08-2018, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
I was out walking, poking around, not hunting just poking around seeing what's happening and I heard something approaching me very quickly, I swung the ol'303 of my back slipped a round into the chamber just to have a freaking spruce grouse step out and walk right at me....now this is where it got weird...I throw a glove at it, it stomps it, pecks it, next glove lands on top of it and it gives it a what for, not only did this bird make enough noise coming through the woods it had attitude too....the things you experience just poking around the woods.
Lol, I love every part of that story. Personally I'm more afraid of grouse than I am of bears, I'm pretty sure I will someday die of a grouse induced heart attack as one flushes right under my feat at a tense moment.
Old 10-09-2018, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushleague View Post
On Saturday I took the rifle out for a walk in the bush,
Many a fine day starts with just taking your rifle for a walk. Sometimes something wants to go for a truck ride home with you, more times not - but it always turns out to be a good day.
Old 10-09-2018, 08:46 AM

Bush league, what part of the province/river did you have the experience with the two martin. I trap the little guys and like to monitor numbers in different areas especially near Edson.
Old 10-09-2018, 09:20 AM

Love this thread!

I love a day in the bush, you never know what you see. Can be very entertaining at times!