Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 07-24-2014, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haffordite View Post
Just a thought. How about buying a rifle equipped witha muzzle break in any of the above mentioned calibers. I own a Mossberg 4x4 in a 7 Rem mag. There is less felt recoil than my 7/08 - honestly. I would suggest 270 or 308. Rifle is reasonably priced, acceptably accurate, and has moderate recoil.
I have to respectfully disagree with this approach. Yes, it will reduce felt recoil, but at the expense of a horrendous muzzle blast and stupidly painful volume. Both of these will induce flinch, particularly in a new shooter, and they won't enjoy it. Neither will anyone in close proximity. As others have posted a lighter recoiling cartridge like the 7mm-08, and a good recoil pad like a limbsaver or better yet a Pachmyer Decelerator, will make for a happier shooting experience.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 07-24-2014, 11:48 AM

I pruchased my wife a tikka t3 in 260 remington. I then purchased a t3 stock from a member here who went with a boyd. I cut 1 inch off the the stock, fill it with foam and a wood block at the end. I then mounted a "grind to fit" limbsave recoil pad (cost about $140 total), wife loves it . Nice thing is I shoot a t3 308 and t3 204 ruger and the stock will fit both of those rifles if she or my son and daughter want to try those guns out.
Old 07-24-2014, 12:51 PM

Have your wife try several different firearms and what ever fits her best is the smart choice. Anything from .243 to 3006 will work. Choose a round for available ammo and hunting style. Make sure not to over gun to much recoil is never good. My wife likes the x bolt in .243 and the m77 hawkee in .308. They fit her well. Only she can decide. Good luck
Old 07-24-2014, 07:38 PM

Id go 257 Weatherby Ultra light!
Old 07-24-2014, 08:32 PM

muzzle brake is definitely a feature to avoid because of the flinch inducing blast, and the hearing damage.

For a new shooter of any size, I'd stick with the mid range non-magnum calibers, staying under 30 caliber. Ideally, 6.5mm (.264) or less.

If she ever needs more, she can get a 2nd rifle.
Old 07-25-2014, 07:50 AM

Default Wifes rifle

Quote:
Originally Posted by honda610 View Post
Have your wife try several different firearms and what ever fits her best is the smart choice. Anything from .243 to 3006 will work. Choose a round for available ammo and hunting style. Make sure not to over gun to much recoil is never good. My wife likes the x bolt in .243 and the m77 hawkee in .308. They fit her well. Only she can decide. Good luck
X2 the Browning has a nice thick soft pad and the micro is made for the vertically challenged.
Old 07-25-2014, 08:34 AM

To much focus is put on the cartridge i would focus on stock design and fit first. Most of us have had multiple rifles in the same cartridge and the recoil difference from rifle to rifle can be huge. Pick the cartridge that suits the game she will be hunting and is most economical to you maybe you already have lots of one size of projectile if you load, then pick the rifle to suit. My wife shoots a 25-06 and 308 but has without issue shot many others i own some large magnums the only one that ever bugged her was a t3laminate in 30-06 but she shoots my rem 700 30-06 without issue
Old 07-25-2014, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogslayer403 View Post
To much focus is put on the cartridge i would focus on stock design and fit first. Most of us have had multiple rifles in the same cartridge and the recoil difference from rifle to rifle can be huge. Pick the cartridge that suits the game she will be hunting and is most economical to you maybe you already have lots of one size of projectile if you load, then pick the rifle to suit. My wife shoots a 25-06 and 308 but has without issue shot many others i own some large magnums the only one that ever bugged her was a t3laminate in 30-06 but she shoots my rem 700 30-06 without issue
Exactly. Seems everyone is hell bent on a new shooter hunting with a .243 or 7mm-08 right off the bat without thinking of other aspects.
Old 07-25-2014, 09:34 AM
Banned

Quote:
Getting a rifle to fit a woman is like attempting to have both ends of a football touch the ground at the same time.
Old 07-25-2014, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopher View Post
Getting a rifle to fit a woman is like attempting to have both ends of a football touch the ground at the same time.
Not that hard just gotta put it in the mud lol
Old 07-25-2014, 10:48 AM

Smile My wife

She wants to shoot a deer this fall and has rarely fired a rifle and grew up a city girl. I always think hitting what you aim at is the key.

She now has a very nice Ruger 10/22 with a scope and she is a terror on magpies and gophers, she has a 204 and is having trouble getting it on the paper. When she does, we'll switch to the 243. The deer are on the fron lawn so marksmanship is the key.

I need to be able to pick it up with the FEL.
Old 07-25-2014, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Not that hard just gotta put it in the mud lol
Or let the air out!
Old 07-25-2014, 02:11 PM
Banned

I have yet to see a less than 9 pound hunting rifle set up specifically for women’s needs.
Long necks most need adj comb
Rings to accommodate comb hight
They have boobs take a scope off your lady’s gun and have a look how much it is tilted they need a Graco style buttplate.
Old 07-25-2014, 03:57 PM

Savage makes a Lady Hunter model that looks just fine and is chambered from 243 to 308Win. You have a choice of wood or plastic stock, iirc. Includes the adjustable Accutrigger, great recoil pad. This is a woman-specific hunting rifle, not a regular rifle painted pink.