Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 03-28-2021, 03:37 PM

Default Tipping your guide

Going on my first guided hunt this spring what's an average tip amount that should be given.
Old 03-28-2021, 04:35 PM
Banned

10% of the hunt value is what I do for a normal experience
If you guide works his/her bag off, I give more
If I learn a lot from them, I give more

Did a musk ox hunt in Greenland and one guide did all the work, while the rest sat on their butts. He got all the tips. The rest got sfa
Old 03-28-2021, 05:14 PM

Yep totally agree with above comments and unfortunately you will find the latter is not so uncommon at times. I find that most get u to pay at same time as your bill. I’d rather pay the tips directly. Owners sometimes get a hand in there. They get the fee.
Old 03-28-2021, 05:43 PM

Someone once posted a scenario on here that highlights the obsurdity of tipping your hunting guide (it might have been huntinstuff, but I don't remember for sure).
(Also, this isn't a direct quote, just from memory)

"That was a great guided hunt, thank you. Now how much do I owe you for this guided hunt?"
"That will be "x" Dollars."
"Great, here is "x" Dollars"
"F you A hole"

Old 03-28-2021, 06:00 PM

Default Gratuities

Most of the time your outfitter is not your guide/cook so you pay your hunt/fishing fee to the outfitter and tip your guide/cook separately depending on the job done 10% is a good starting spot and less for the cook although sometimes that could be the best part of the trip....... its not always the end result that counts but the journey getting there ..... keep in mind that guides and cooks are paid out of your guiding fees and are paid to do a job ..... hopefully a good one
Old 03-28-2021, 06:10 PM

My wife cooked for an outfitter. She is an excellent cook & a great sense of humor. Always tried early to learn hunter's preferences in food.

She was tipped very, very well, as much as her wages after currency exchange!
Old 03-29-2021, 09:54 AM

I should clarify my post

Guides get paid by the outfitter.

Tip are a bonus. Not everyone gets a bonus.

Allow me to give an example:

A fly in moose hunt usually means you will probably not meet the outfitter. You meet your guide. You are cooked for, tent cleaned, and all amenities are utilized for you by your guide. The guide is your best bet for success, notwithstanding the fact you must be open to listen to the guides advice, trust her/him, and observe what they do to assist you in getting your animal.

All of this is the guides job. The guide is being paid to do this, from the money you already paid for the hunt.

A tip is simply a bonus, based on your judgment. If you decide no tip, fine. That is completely your call.

Personally, I do a few things that I bring to.the hunters attention. Not for the purposes of acquiring a tip, but to show the hunter I care about his hunt and trophy. For example:

When I cape an animal, I bring the hunter over and show him the finished job. I show him the eyes, mouth and nose area of the cape and the horn bases. I show the hunter that there are no knife slips, no errors and tell him why I am showing him this. If he wants to sit and watch the process, I encourage it. That way, his taxidermist cannot blame me for an imperfect or poor mount due to any errors in caping. Most hunters appreciate this and are grateful in knowing that a poor mount doesnt result in a blame-game.

Again, guides are paid to do this anyhow. Its part of the job and a basic expectation....

I bring my own spices to cook with. I hate eating lousy food as much as my hunter does.

I tell the hunter how to dress for the day. I always default to Plan C, because A and B usually fail....lol

I guide my hunter like Id guide my sons. We are gonna do everything we can to get this animal, within the law of course.

Do I honestly expect a tip. No, I dont. Money isnt why I guide. I get to hunt. I dont shoot, but shooting isnt a thrill for me. And 9 days after this hunt, I get to do it all over again......

Getting your animal cannot be the basis for a successful hunt. It's hunting. If you want a guarantee, there are fenced properties that will cater to this. Does it feel better if you get your animal? Of course it does! Kinda why you're there in the first place. But it happens. Everyone hates it, but there are no guarantees. High probability, but no guarantee.....

Have I been tipped? Yes. Have I not been tipped? Yes. Do I care? No. Thats just me.

Go on your hunt, whatever it is, with high hopes but no definite plans. Trust your guide. Communicate with your guide. Be open. Be in reasonable shape. Be able to walk and be able to sit still. Enjoy wherever you are. Relax. Make a friend.

Last edited by huntinstuff; 03-29-2021 at 10:05 AM.
Old 03-29-2021, 10:00 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post
I should clarify my post

A fly in moose hunt usually means you will probably not meet the outfitter. You meet your guide. You are cooked for, tent cleaned, and all amenities are utilized for you by your guide. The guide is your best bet for success, notwithstanding the fact you must be open to listen to the guides advice, trust her/him, and observe what they do to assist you in getting your animal.

All of this is the guides job. The guide is being paid to do this, from the money you already paid for the hunt.

A tip is simply a bonus, based on your judgment. If you decide no tip, fine. That is completely your call.

Personally, I do a few things that I bring to.the hunters attention. Not for the purposes of acquiring a tip, but to show the hunter I care about his hunt and trophy. For example:

When I cape an animal, I bring the hunter over and show him the finished job. I show him the eyes, mouth and nose area of the cape and the horn bases. I show the hunter that there are no knife slips, no errors and tell him why I am showing him this. If he wants to sit and watch the process, I encourage it. That way, his taxidermist cannot blame me for an imperfect or poor mount due to any errors in caping. Most hunters appreciate this and are grateful in knowing that a poor mount doesnt result in a blame-game.

Again, guides are paid to do this anyhow. Its part of the job and a basic expectation....

I bring my own spices to cook with. I hate eating lousy food as much as my hunter does.

I tell the hunter how to dress for the day. I always default to Plan C, because A and B usually fail....lol

I guide my hunter like Id guide my sons. We are gonna do everything we can to get this animal, within the law of course.

Do I honestly expect a tip. No, I dont. Money isnt why I guide. I get to hunt. I dont shoot, but shooting isnt a thrill for me. And 9 days after this hunt, I get to do it all over again......

Have I been tipped? Yes. Have I not been tipped? Yes. Do I care? No. Thats just me.
very well said...puts things into perspective and nice hearing it from someone who has walked many miles in these boots!

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 03-29-2021, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
very well said...puts things into perspective and nice hearing it from someone who has walked many miles in these boots!
Argo too! Lol
Old 03-29-2021, 10:13 AM

Ive guided people who go from one guided hunt to another, worldwide. Money is no object

I have also guided hunters who saved for years to do the hunt. Regular guys and gals who saved up to see a dream come true

Both types are as important to me as the other

But I smile just a bit bigger when the latter hops off the float plane onto my dock.

Especially if he /she has an older rifle...in 30-06.....
Old 03-29-2021, 02:32 PM

Huntinstuff Hit the nail right on the head.

Guides are paid by the day some days get pretty long your not even hitting the old minimum wage never mind the new one. That said its the fun of the hunt not the money for me.

He just forgot to add some Outfitters have less than shall we say perfect equipment. For your own sanity add to the spices the following.

ATV
Good spare cots and good Thermarest pads. Tired hunters is a fail right at the get go.
Axes, Maul, Butchering implements. Many hunters expect to have access to a abattoir for cut and wrap. They fill up fast nowadays and less are doing it.
Most important your own chain saw in good working condition and kept where other guides/camp helpers wont snaffle it to separate antlers from skulls and other nefarious uses.
Old 04-01-2021, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post
I should clarify my post

Getting your animal cannot be the basis for a successful hunt. It's hunting. If you want a guarantee, there are fenced properties that will cater to this. Does it feel better if you get your animal? Of course it does! Kinda why you're there in the first place. But it happens. Everyone hates it, but there are no guarantees. High probability, but no guarantee.....

Go on your hunt, whatever it is, with high hopes but no definite plans. Trust your guide. Communicate with your guide. Be open. Be in reasonable shape. Be able to walk and be able to sit still. Enjoy wherever you are. Relax. Make a friend.
This is bang on.
Tip the guide himself when the hunt has concluded, if you see fit.
Just remember a good guide will be up hours before the hunter getting everything ready and awake hours after the hunter is asleep.
Theres no riches in guiding, and most guys are out there for the love of it.
I truly believe the outfitter leads by example with hard work, passion for the hunt and a great experience for the hunter.

From my guided hunts I have never tipped less than 10%.
Lets be honest who would work 15hrs a day for $225? You can work at McDonalds for that, and get a discount on your lunch.