Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-26-2009, 09:24 PM

Shades of the Flames game same story different locale......
Old 03-26-2009, 09:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulecrazy View Post
2-0 phx. Could this be a "debacle of monumental proportions"
lol ok that was funny
Old 03-26-2009, 09:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulecrazy View Post
Do you actually watch sports centre or any hocky analyst shows??? They vaguely used the term "rebuilding" the year after they went to the finals. Most analysts have said they should be fighting for a spot and they have been underacheiving every year. Why else would your fans feel they should win every night and boo them when they dont? A rebuild is what the leafs are doing. The oilers have used patchwork to fill the gaps and everything has failed. I really wish you knew what rebuilding was all about.
Ok Muley, say what you will lol. I follow the analysts more than anyone on this board I bet. The oilers have re-built and we simply has a underachieving year. No clue how you figure that since we've had a slow year it means we haven't done the rebuild process? We got rid of our main guys and bringing up youth risking the first 2-3 seasons for a very bright future. Thats called re-building.
Old 03-26-2009, 09:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownBear416 View Post
Read back in the POSTS it is all Kannons fault
My bad...was too lazy to go read all the other posts before that lol but still, Kannon just calls it how it is
Old 03-26-2009, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Octane~ View Post
Ok Muley, say what you will lol. I follow the analysts more than anyone on this board I bet.
I wouldn't be so sure about that.
Old 03-26-2009, 10:12 PM
Banned

3-2 we got a game now Gonna be a great finish!
Old 03-26-2009, 10:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunt_and_fish View Post
I wouldn't be so sure about that.
I'm verrrrry sure. Havent heard an analyst say we arent rebuilding yet! Wanna proove me wrong?
Old 03-26-2009, 10:23 PM

Quote:
I'm verrrrry sure.
You're verrrrrry sure that you "follow analysts" more than anyone else on this board? How can you possibly be sure of that. Are you stalking all of us? Should we be worried?
Old 03-26-2009, 10:31 PM

A spirited effort by the Oilers at the end but not quite enough to pull themselves out of the hole they dug. Tough night for them with Nashville, the Blues and the Blue Jackets all winning. Still plenty of games left though.
Old 03-26-2009, 10:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
You're verrrrrry sure that you "follow analysts" more than anyone else on this board? How can you possibly be sure of that. Are you stalking all of us? Should we be worried?
Yep I am sure....it appears not a lot of people do on here if they dont have a clue what the re-build process is about and/or who is/has done it. As I said...proove me wrong. Show me one single analyst that says the oilers arent rebuilding. I dare ya.

As for tonites game, dont know what to think. It was a must win and they just didn't get it done. We'll have a tight finish thats for sure.
Old 03-26-2009, 10:34 PM

[QUOTE=~Octane~;292908]I'm verrrrry sure. Havent heard an analyst say we arent rebuilding yet! Wanna proove me wrong?[/QUOTE/]

Tough lose tonight bud..should not have underestimated a team with nothing to lose....

And I am sorry i used the word Rebuilding..I meant to say underachieving..year after year after year...my bad ....

Octane some of the stuff you have posted on here that I know you believe to be true with all your heart makes me not think of the word Analyst..it makes me think if they do a Conspiracy Theory 2 you might get the call before Mel Gibson
Old 03-26-2009, 10:47 PM
Banned

[QUOTE=BrownBear416;292924]
Quote:
I'm verrrrry sure. Havent heard an analyst say we arent rebuilding yet! Wanna proove me wrong?[/QUOTE/]

Tough lose tonight bud..should not have underestimated a team with nothing to lose....

And I am sorry i used the word Rebuilding..I meant to say underachieving..year after year after year...my bad ....

Octane some of the stuff you have posted on here that I know you believe to be true with all your heart makes me not think of the word Analyst..it makes me think if they do a Conspiracy Theory 2 you might get the call before Mel Gibson
Lol ok...yep underachievers some years...just like the Flames. 06 and 08 were not though. Its not just me who thinks the things I do...if it was I wouldn't be posting it because I'd have nothing to back it up with. Unlike you guys (some Flames fans on here) that constantly bash the Oilers even though it doesn't make sense. Like common, you really think rebuilding is some made up Oiler fan phenomenon? At least the things I say about the Flames are true
Old 03-26-2009, 10:53 PM

[QUOTE=~Octane~;292934]
Quote:

Lol ok...yep underachievers some years...just like the Flames. 06 and 08 were not though. Its not just me who thinks the things I do...if it was I wouldn't be posting it because I'd have nothing to back it up with. Unlike you guys (some Flames fans on here) that constantly bash the Oilers even though it doesn't make sense. Like common, you really think rebuilding is some made up Oiler fan phenomenon? At least the things I say about the Flames are true
We will agree to disagree my friend..the battle will rage another day I am sure lol
Old 03-26-2009, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Yep I am sure....it appears not a lot of people do on here if they dont have a clue what the re-build process is about and/or who is/has done it. As I said...proove me wrong. Show me one single analyst that says the oilers arent rebuilding. I dare ya.

As for tonites game, dont know what to think. It was a must win and they just didn't get it done. We'll have a tight finish thats for sure.
Here's a little advice Octane...take it or leave it, completely up to you. Telling us over and over again that you know more about hockey is not going to make it true and it's certainly not going to add any credibility to your opinions. If you have a point that you want to make then it's your job to prove it not mine to prove you wrong.

By the way, since you seem so intent on arguing about whether the Oilers are rebuilding or not, here are a few questions to ponder:

1. Is it common for a rebuilding team to trade away a draft pick for a player that will be a UFA at the end of the season?

2. Would a rebuilding team hold on to a 39 year old goalie and never play their future goaltender that could obviously use the experience sometime before the team is considered rebuilt?

3. Is it typical of a rebuilding team to sign a UFA in the off season to a 1-year contract and give him valuable time on one of the top two lines instead of using that ice-time to develop younger players that are the future of the franchise?

Some of the moves that the Oilers have made over the past couple seasons suggest they are rebuilding but I think it's pretty easy to argue that if that's their strategy they aren't doing a very good job of it. A huge part of rebuilding successfully is being at the bottom of the standings for years so that you can stockpile quality prospects from high draft picks (i.e. Chicago, Pittsburg). The Oil don't seem to be following that model.
Old 03-26-2009, 11:06 PM
Banned

[QUOTE=BrownBear416;292937]
Quote:

We will agree to disagree my friend..the battle will rage another day I am sure lol
Lol you bet. Thats the great thing about this thread! I just hope the Oilers make it, imagine all 3 western teams in? Will be exciting
Old 03-26-2009, 11:16 PM

[QUOTE=~Octane~;292943]
Quote:

Lol you bet. Thats the great thing about this thread! I just hope the Oilers make it, imagine all 3 western teams in? Will be exciting
Imagine if the Oil didn't make it and you had a brand new coach next year and a new outlook on life??????

The years of rebuil....I mean underachieving could be over with and you could turn into real contenders

Just my opinion not that of an analyst so it isnt worth a poop
Old 03-26-2009, 11:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
Here's a little advice Octane...take it or leave it, completely up to you. Telling us over and over again that you know more about hockey is not going to make it true and it's certainly not going to add any credibility to your opinions. If you have a point that you want to make then it's your job to prove it not mine to prove you wrong.

By the way, since you seem so intent on arguing about whether the Oilers are rebuilding or not, here are a few questions to ponder:

1. Is it common for a rebuilding team to trade away a draft pick for a player that will be a UFA at the end of the season?

2. Would a rebuilding team hold on to a 39 year old goalie and never play their future goaltender that could obviously use the experience sometime before the team is considered rebuilt?

3. Is it typical of a rebuilding team to sign a UFA in the off season to a 1-year contract and give him valuable time on one of the top two lines instead of using that ice-time to develop younger players that are the future of the franchise?

Some of the moves that the Oilers have made over the past couple seasons suggest they are rebuilding but I think it's pretty easy to argue that if that's their strategy they aren't doing a very good job of it. A huge part of rebuilding successfully is being at the bottom of the standings for years so that you can stockpile quality prospects from high draft picks (i.e. Chicago, Pittsburg). The Oil don't seem to be following that model.
I'll tell what I know. If I believe I know more than some on this board, i'll say it. You can take that or leave it. I've made my point and you argued it, so I asked you to proove me wrong and you couldn't. No worries, I understand. And no, you dont have to 'crash and burn' for years to 'stockpile' to rebuild. You have the mind set of some Leaf fans. If that was the case why are teams like the Islanders not good yet?

1. Yes it is common, it was a bad year, underachieved a lot, the Oilers talked about winning the division, they underachieved, and to help us get in the playoffs traded a guy that was UFA at the end of the season and wouldn't have signed here anyways, to get a rental player to play with Hemmer and a young talented guy we will have for a while i'm sure. We did give up a draft pick yes, but the Oilers have draft pics flying out their ying yang so I'm completely fine with it.

2. Garon choked, I called it last year and everyone called me crazy. He's a career backup and hasn't prooved nothing here except he had a good run when nothing mattered. Look at him in Pitt...rippin it right up eh? He was not the right fit here. Not just that, but the players in the room weren't a big fan of him. You would have to listin all the time to the pre-game and post-game comments to realize this though. To trade away one of our leaders and one of the best examples of heart and soul on this team, especially when he outplayed the other 2 by a long shot, would have sent a very bad message to the young guys. Roli will be our goalie until his time is up (won't be anytime soon now), then we will find a bonafide goalie and sign him long term.

3. Dont know if that's typical or not, but we clearly needed a power forward for our top line. Everyone knew this. It didn't work out. Who would have you wanted to see on the top line instead? Cogliano? He will never be a top line player. Gagner? He will be a top 6 eventually and was given time on both the top and 2nd line. Nielson? No thanks.
Old 03-26-2009, 11:22 PM
Banned

[QUOTE=BrownBear416;292946]
Quote:

Imagine if the Oil didn't make it and you had a brand new coach next year and a new outlook on life??????

The years of rebuil....I mean underachieving could be over with and you could turn into real contenders

Just my opinion not that of an analyst so it isnt worth a poop
Lol. Imagine if we did get a new coach...and we crash and burned like Tampa Bay? I'd sure have a new outlook on life alright Its hilarious how you think the Oilers underachievments are all MacT's fault Thank god you aren't an analyst. By the way, i'll add...if we dont make the playoffs or squeek in and dont do anything, MacT will most likely be gone, and I'll be fine with that. But dont jump the gun.
Old 03-26-2009, 11:30 PM

[QUOTE=~Octane~;292951]
Quote:

Lol. Imagine if we did get a new coach...and we crash and burned like Tampa Bay? I'd sure have a new outlook on life alright Its hilarious how you think the Oilers underachievments are all MacT's fault Thank god you aren't an analyst. By the way, i'll add...if we dont make the playoffs or squeek in and dont do anything, MacT will most likely be gone, and I'll be fine with that. But dont jump the gun.
You know what is hilarious Sir....The magority of DIE HARD Oiler fans that would disagree with your opinion on Mac T....
Old 03-26-2009, 11:40 PM
Banned

[QUOTE=BrownBear416;292954]
Quote:

You know what is hilarious Sir....The magority of DIE HARD Oiler fans that would disagree with your opinion on Mac T....
You spend too much time on message boards man. Get out in public or to Rexall (where people who actually care enough about their team to go to their games) and talk to Oiler fans...the bulk of fans that post are against MacT...I'm not just talking here, but on the Oilers boards as well. Why? Because they dont come on to support, only to complain. There are some great fans on here like Kannon that have their opinions on MacT ( I think he wants him gone) and thats fine! But dont say the 'bulk' because your completely out to lunch. Thats whats hilarious.

An example....ever listin to Overtime Openline on 630 Ched? I guess not you may not have it down there, but on nights we lose its a barage (spelling?) of calls complaining, on nights we win it's nearly silent. Sad but true. Oiler fans on average are a pretty ignorant group compared to other teams, but with that said, "most die hard oiler fans are against MacT" is false.

Anyway dont get mad, its just a discussion. Chill.
Old 03-26-2009, 11:41 PM
Banned

[QUOTE=BrownBear416;292954]
Quote:

I would guess most folks on the OILERS FORUM would also want to see him gone.

Octane, Octane, Octane....
What they are doing is not working. If you cant see that, I think profesional help for that tunnel vision is in order.

Sure I chear as loud as possible for my Flames, but at least I can admit their faults..

INCOSISTANCY!!!

However they will make the playoffs and they can and do beat the best teams around.

Jamie
Old 03-26-2009, 11:51 PM
Banned

[QUOTE=Jamie;292959]
Quote:

I would guess most folks on the OILERS FORUM would also want to see him gone.

Octane, Octane, Octane....
What they are doing is not working. If you cant see that, I think profesional help for that tunnel vision is in order.

Sure I chear as loud as possible for my Flames, but at least I can admit their faults..

INCOSISTANCY!!!

However they will make the playoffs and they can and do beat the best teams around.

Jamie
I'm wellllll aware things aren't working, and have NEVER denied the Oilers being inconsistant...but my point is, is it MacT's fault? When to the players get held responsible? Dont need any help at all, its simply my opinion. Its a young growing team and players are going to struggle. What I do look at though is when we did have a very good team, look what MacT did to it...took us to Game 7. You have NOOOOOOOOOOOOO idea how crazy i'm going to get if we do make a big playoff run...it will make you guys look silly. If we don't, i'll be the silly one and MacT will be gone, and as I said I'm fine with that. But dont go assuming till things happen. In today's day and age people are so quick to go for the neck of the coaching staff or management when things turn to bad. I dont get it. Yes 8 years is a long time, but he's done some great things in that time and we've never really had a solid enough team to do anything special, except in 06. I would rather see the managment replaced than MacT.

We'll see how it plays out.
Old 03-26-2009, 11:59 PM

~Octane~, I believe that you are watching the Oilers through rose colored crack pipes..........

This is coming from someone who has followed them since they first moved up from Indianapolis.

There is an enormous difference between 'rebuilding' and 'building'.

Darryl Sutter is a 'BUILDER'. K-Lowe tries his best to put fires out.

Under the cap system, inept scouting, development, drafting, coaching and above all MANAGEMENT get exposed for what they are.

The game is leaving the Oilers behind. Period. As sweet and quaint as the saying, "Once and Olier, ALWAYS an Oiler", is, the inadaquacies of nepotism always come home to roost.

Here's to my beloved Oil missing the playoffs! Here's to some serious housecleaning that is long, long overdue.........

Tree..........A HARDCORE OILERS FAN!
Old 03-27-2009, 12:20 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeGuy View Post
~Octane~, I believe that you are watching the Oilers through rose colored crack pipes..........

This is coming from someone who has followed them since they first moved up from Indianapolis.

There is an enormous difference between 'rebuilding' and 'building'.

Darryl Sutter is a 'BUILDER'. K-Lowe tries his best to put fires out.

Under the cap system, inept scouting, development, drafting, coaching and above all MANAGEMENT get exposed for what they are.

The game is leaving the Oilers behind. Period. As sweet and quaint as the saying, "Once and Olier, ALWAYS an Oiler", is, the inadaquacies of nepotism always come home to roost.

Here's to my beloved Oil missing the playoffs! Here's to some serious housecleaning that is long, long overdue.........

Tree..........A HARDCORE OILERS FAN!
Holy **** is that ever jumping the gun! Dont know how hardcore you are when you assume the worst? I'll remember what ya said when we're in the playoffs. Tell me, BB TG or Jamie...what's the problem with MacT? Systems? Not having the players motivated? Players not buying into his style? Explain please. I'm very curious.
Old 03-27-2009, 12:27 AM

All of the above. Goodnight.

Tree
Old 03-27-2009, 12:58 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeGuy View Post
All of the above. Goodnight.

Tree
Well that shows how close you follow the Oil I guess..or look deep into what the problem might be instead of just reaching for the easiest and simplest arguement there is, going after the coach. I remember when Vancouver fans were going after their coach earlier this year, calling for his head, same with Calgary to some extent. They both worked out pretty good I think, especially Van. Difference is Edmonton has the youngest team out of the 3 and most likely to be inconsistant.

For systems, i'm not sure. That definatley is on the coach. Other teams have better systems but a lot also have worse. We get a ton of chances but the PLAYERS just dont capitalize which leads me to believe our systems play isn't a huge issue. Its execution. The players arent finishing their chances they get. I guess MacT should stand over them and show them how not to miss the net? I'm sure he would if he could.

Not having the players motivated...well thats out to lunch. Their pro's..they shouldn't need a daddy figure telling them to be motivated before each game. If they do, it says a lot about the team. If you ask the players, they'll agree. Infact most have said it before this year in interviews, their accountable for their on-ice performance and their slumps, especially after their given the ice-time and line mates to make it work.

As for players not playing for MacT...thats completely out to lunch. If that was the case we wouldn't have givin such a solid effort against teams like Detroit and Colorado, and wouldn't have almost come back tonight with a solid effort to almost tie it. Along with a notebook of other games where they've done the same thing, and lots of times done it successfully. The theme this year has been consistantly inconsistant..which is understandable with such a young team. Not the players quitting on their coach.

With all that said, i'll say this yet again..if we dont make the playoffs or make a half decent effort in it, the coach will be the one to fall. May not be fair in some people's eyes, the coach, or even the players (look at Kane after Savard getting fired), especially after the inconsistancy some of the players have shown this year, but it's what will happen and i'll be fine with it, and will cheer on and look forward to the new coach. But ditch the negativity man.

I think i'll lay off on the in-depth discussions on this thread till playoff time. It was fun for a while until I started getting slammed for my opinion (which many others share). Just dont like the negativity and smart ***** responses. Its a sport, if your a fan you'll cheer, not rag.

Last edited by ~Octane~; 03-27-2009 at 01:58 AM.
Old 03-27-2009, 01:56 AM
Banned

Quote:
I think i'll lay off for the most part on this thread till playoff time. It was fun for a while until I started getting slammed for my opinion (which many others share). Just dont like the negativity and smart ***** responses. Its a sport, if your a fan you'll cheer, not rag.
PROMISES PROMISES PROMISES

Jamie
Old 03-27-2009, 06:39 AM

Quote:

You spend too much time on message boards man. Get out in public or to Rexall (where people who actually care enough about their team to go to their games) and talk to Oiler fans...the bulk of fans that post are against MacT...I'm not just talking here, but on the Oilers boards as well. Why? Because they dont come on to support, only to complain. There are some great fans on here like Kannon that have their opinions on MacT ( I think he wants him gone) and thats fine! But dont say the 'bulk' because your completely out to lunch. Thats whats hilarious.

An example....ever listin to Overtime Openline on 630 Ched? I guess not you may not have it down there, but on nights we lose its a barage (spelling?) of calls complaining, on nights we win it's nearly silent. Sad but true. Oiler fans on average are a pretty ignorant group compared to other teams, but with that said, "most die hard oiler fans are against MacT" is false.

Anyway dont get mad, its just a discussion. Chill.
Since you watch more analysts than anyone else on this board Octane I am sure you are already aware of this forthcoming info. For everyone else on the board that does not follow the analysts and news on hockey as much, here is some info from the Edmonton Sun. They recently did 2 polls in Edmonton:

Will they Oilers make the playoffs?
57% - NO
20% - YES
23% - Don't care anymore

Should Craig Mactavish be fired?
71% - YES
29% - NO

Recent rankings done by TSN had Craig Mactavish ranked as the 23 best coach in the league and ranked Tambelini as the 22 best GM. They did however say that Tambelini is still dealing with the mess that he was left by Kevin Lowe and you should see his ranking change in the next few years. Bob McKenzie (for those of you that don't know was the deitor in chief of The Hockey News for 9 years and is a current TSN analyst) recently claimed that the Edmonton Oilers are a team currently searching for there true
identity. They can not be classed as a rebuilding team but at the same time can not be classed as a contender. He went on to say that the system Craig Mactavish is playing this year has left people wondering why the Oilers coaching staff considers it to be a successful system. The system has been labeled by Craig Mactavish as "clear and defend", the Oilers are currently the only team in the league using this system.

Just some info for those of us on here that are not experts on analysts and news of the game.
Old 03-27-2009, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goober View Post
Since you watch more analysts than anyone else on this board Octane I am sure you are already aware of this forthcoming info. For everyone else on the board that does not follow the analysts and news on hockey as much, here is some info from the Edmonton Sun. They recently did 2 polls in Edmonton:

Will they Oilers make the playoffs?
57% - NO
20% - YES
23% - Don't care anymore

Should Craig Mactavish be fired?
71% - YES
29% - NO

Recent rankings done by TSN had Craig Mactavish ranked as the 23 best coach in the league and ranked Tambelini as the 22 best GM. They did however say that Tambelini is still dealing with the mess that he was left by Kevin Lowe and you should see his ranking change in the next few years. Bob McKenzie (for those of you that don't know was the deitor in chief of The Hockey News for 9 years and is a current TSN analyst) recently claimed that the Edmonton Oilers are a team currently searching for there true
identity. They can not be classed as a rebuilding team but at the same time can not be classed as a contender. He went on to say that the system Craig Mactavish is playing this year has left people wondering why the Oilers coaching staff considers it to be a successful system. The system has been labeled by Craig Mactavish as "clear and defend", the Oilers are currently the only team in the league using this system.

Just some info for those of us on here that are not experts on analysts and news of the game.
some more facts to prove Octane wrong. Oh well, I would imagine he will claim it to be false as he is the only true oilers fan with his pulse on the team. I am also sure he will claim he is smarter than bob Mckenzie, and watches more hockey than him. Didn't we recently prove him wrong on his claims that the oilers scouting staff are reckognized as one of the best in the league? He needs to take a step back, remove the blinders, and see the organization for what it is. As far as I can tell, of all the people on this thread Goober seems to have the best info and knowledge. Thanks for that
Old 03-27-2009, 07:31 AM

[QUOTE=~Octane~;292963]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post

I'm wellllll aware things aren't working, and have NEVER denied the Oilers being inconsistant...but my point is, is it MacT's fault? When to the players get held responsible? Dont need any help at all, its simply my opinion. Its a young growing team and players are going to struggle. What I do look at though is when we did have a very good team, look what MacT did to it...took us to Game 7. You have NOOOOOOOOOOOOO idea how crazy i'm going to get if we do make a big playoff run...it will make you guys look silly. If we don't, i'll be the silly one and MacT will be gone, and as I said I'm fine with that. But dont go assuming till things happen. In today's day and age people are so quick to go for the neck of the coaching staff or management when things turn to bad. I dont get it. Yes 8 years is a long time, but he's done some great things in that time and we've never really had a solid enough team to do anything special, except in 06. I would rather see the managment replaced than MacT.

We'll see how it plays out.
so are you blaming the age of your players on their standings. I will tell you this, It plays a lot less into it than you think. Looking at the avg age list is interesting. Oilers are 8th youngest. younger teams are: chi, clb, nyr, min. slightly older by about 0.5years is vancouver and boston. There is more too it then age.