Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 07-24-2016, 11:58 PM

Default Limb broke on bow

I am the original owner of a Bowtech RPM 360, never dry fired. Shooting in my backyard yesterday at full draw and heard a crack. Now I am hoping Bowtech will stand behind their product. Even if they do I doubt I will have it repaired before hunting season so it's time to go bow shopping. Never hurts to have a spare bow anyway. I did a bit of research and apparently this is not an isolated issue.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (28.6 KB, 238 views)
Old 07-24-2016, 11:59 PM

Default Another pic

hmmm. Other photos won't load
Old 07-25-2016, 12:02 AM

Contact customer service at Bowtech tomorrow morning they will get you sorted out. I think most archery shops are closed Monday. They will likely have you going before hunting season. I'll PM you a number to call.

LC
Old 07-25-2016, 12:07 AM

I went online and Bowtech suggests I take it back to the point of purchase which is Jimbows in Calgary. I am planning to stop by there on Tuesday evening.
Old 07-25-2016, 06:44 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by klink1679 View Post
I went online and Bowtech suggests I take it back to the point of purchase which is Jimbows in Calgary. I am planning to stop by there on Tuesday evening.
Hmmmm that is too bad, if they are reputable should be sent in and they replace it, shipping is your bill. Won't hurt to go where you bought it but it sounds like the beginning to a run around, never know though. Good luck.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 07-25-2016, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Hmmmm that is too bad, if they are reputable should be sent in and they replace it, shipping is your bill. Won't hurt to go where you bought it but it sounds like the beginning to a run around, never know though. Good luck.
Pretty standard with a limb issue that a full set of limbs is shipped out to the local dealer for install. Not a run around at all it will be looked after.

Removing all accessories to create a bare bow and shipping the entire bow is way less desirable.

LC
Old 07-25-2016, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Way simpler to take it to the dealer. They will have limbs shipped to them and on the bow faster than returning it directly to the manufacturer. I have had limbs delaminate on several major brands of bows and never had an issue with having them fixed in this way.
Old 07-25-2016, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
Pretty standard with a limb issue that a full set of limbs is shipped out to the local dealer for install. Not a run around at all it will be looked after.

Removing all accessories to create a bare bow and shipping the entire bow is way less desirable.

LC
Yes, Bowtech is quite familiar with replacing cracked limbs ...... so they have a pretty quick turn around.

Take it to Jimbows and they will get you sorted out.

I have a buddy recently who drew a brand new BTX off the rack at Trophy Book Archery and had a limb delaminate ......he still bought one though
Old 07-25-2016, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_W View Post
Yes, Bowtech is quite familiar with replacing cracked limbs ...... so they have a pretty quick turn around.

Take it to Jimbows and they will get you sorted out.

I have a buddy recently who drew a brand new BTX off the rack at Trophy Book Archery and had a limb delaminate ......he still bought one though
Yup...someone over pressed that one without backing out limb bolts

LC
Old 07-25-2016, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Yup...someone over pressed that one without backing out limb bolts

LC
LOL making excuses are we?
#bowtechproblems
Old 07-25-2016, 09:15 AM

Quote:
LOL making excuses are we?
#bowtechproblems
Nope...people should know how to press and work on bows before they actually work on them

The past parallel bows should have the limbs backed out before being pressed.

LC
Old 07-25-2016, 10:05 AM

My btx limb broke and the pro shop took care of everything.
Old 07-25-2016, 09:27 PM

Default Limb replaced

I had the limb on my APA X7 crack this year and a new set within 4 days, free of charge. Shouldn't take more than a couple weeks I would think even coming out of the US.
Old 07-25-2016, 10:14 PM

Quote:

LC
I was just thinking with today's technology etc, a quick picture or two, picture of bill of sale, one nice email to manufacturer in conjunction with a call to ensure you email the info to the right person and they send off replacement part(s).
10 minutes of your time, done at home, immediate, instead of going to the place you purchased it, gas, time etc adds up.

Old 07-25-2016, 10:27 PM

Quote:
I was just thinking with today's technology etc, a quick picture or two, picture of bill of sale, one nice email to manufacturer in conjunction with a call to ensure you email the info to the right person and they send off replacement part(s).
10 minutes of your time, done at home, immediate, instead of going to the place you purchased it, gas, time etc adds up.
Umm...it's a limb replacement...warranty work must be done by approved shops. No different than that of many technology industries.

You need a press and you need to remove all strings/ cams/ limbs/ reinstall/ inspect/ and full tune which also requires knowledge of the bow in question and proper specs.

If you can do that in 10 minutes I think every shop in town would hire you.

LC
Old 07-25-2016, 11:35 PM

When I was living in Nova Scotia in 2001 I bought a Q2 bow from a local dealer there, in 2011 one of its limbs broke...6 weeks later the new limbs arrived at no charge from a local dealer here in Edmonton. Hopfully you should receive the same kind of service with Bowtech.
Old 07-26-2016, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Umm...it's a limb replacement...warranty work must be done by approved shops. No different than that of many technology industries.

You need a press and you need to remove all strings/ cams/ limbs/ reinstall/ inspect/ and full tune which also requires knowledge of the bow in question and proper specs.

If you can do that in 10 minutes I think every shop in town would hire you.

LC
Still doesn't hurt to ask them and maybe he has all the equipment to carry out the task, lots of bow shooters do nowadays and are very knowledgable in carrying out their own maintenance, if the bow company gives you the go ahead then you can skip the middleman.
Regarding the 10 minutes timeframe I was referring to was picture taking and an email.

OP might not have the equipment etc but if he did than it could be an avenue he might want to explore.

Old 07-26-2016, 06:58 AM

Default Warranty Work

No bow company or dealer should ever allow the customer to do their own warranty work. What happens if the new limb explodes? Then there is an all out battle with Bowtech whether it was properly installed. This is why dealers are also certified techs for the brands they carry.
Old 07-26-2016, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Still doesn't hurt to ask them and maybe he has all the equipment to carry out the task, lots of bow shooters do nowadays and are very knowledgable in carrying out their own maintenance, if the bow company gives you the go ahead then you can skip the middleman.
Regarding the 10 minutes timeframe I was referring to was picture taking and an email.

OP might not have the equipment etc but if he did than it could be an avenue he might want to explore.
Nope....that is not what happens nor how it works in these cases. Too many unforeseen variables. Approved warranty centre repairs only.

When you have an warranty engine or drive train issue...they don't let you fix it on your own, by sending you parts.

LC
Old 07-26-2016, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendan's dad View Post
No bow company or dealer should ever allow the customer to do their own warranty work. What happens if the new limb explodes? Then there is an all out battle with Bowtech whether it was properly installed. This is why dealers are also certified techs for the brands they carry.
for sure but anyone can get warranty parts from bowtech you go to Excalibur sign into there warranty section and your done get your parts delivered to your home and if you have a press you could do it your self...not saying its right but you don't need a dealer to do it...
Bohning Staff shooter
Stan Releases Pro Staff
Old 07-27-2016, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by backyard View Post
for sure but anyone can get warranty parts from bowtech you go to Excalibur sign into there warranty section and your done get your parts delivered to your home and if you have a press you could do it your self...not saying its right but you don't need a dealer to do it...
I might call them as this is my thought too. Why all the hub bub with today's sign here and here and here, not going to sue us if you install etc eliminating the dealer when you can do the work yourself.

Bowtech in the boonies, qualify if you live outside of 30 miles from a dealership, seems they will deal with your issues that way.
Really want you to source out a local dealer though but will assist you if you are out in the boonies.which is a good thing.

Last edited by 58thecat; 07-27-2016 at 07:00 AM.
Old 07-27-2016, 07:32 AM

Reality is not many guys have the tooling nor the expertise to do a limb swap....best off dealing with a dealer anyhow IMHO. Such a small percentage of compound bow owners own a press and work on their own equipment.

LC
Old 07-27-2016, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Nope...people should know how to press and work on bows before they actually work on them

The past parallel bows should have the limbs backed out before being pressed.

LC
Just seen the photo for the first time....Curious is it common to have a delamination of an over pressed bow on the inside limb near the cam like that?
Old 07-27-2016, 09:26 AM

Quote:
I might call them as this is my thought too. Why all the hub bub with today's sign here and here and here, not going to sue us if you install etc eliminating the dealer when you can do the work yourself.

Bowtech in the boonies, qualify if you live outside of 30 miles from a dealership, seems they will deal with your issues that way.
Really want you to source out a local dealer though but will assist you if you are out in the boonies.which is a good thing.
you don't have to call them even ... at the top of Excalibur's web site says customer service in a yellow box click on that and then sign up fill in your info and done you can do the warranty your self... bowtech if you phone them will tell you the same thing.... they do want your parts that you want warrantied before they send you new ones
Bohning Staff shooter
Stan Releases Pro Staff
Old 07-27-2016, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Just seen the photo for the first time....Curious is it common to have a delamination of an over pressed bow on the inside limb near the cam like that?
My guess and it's only a guess is that improper or over pressing can cause the split limb axel to twist causing that sort of thing to occur.

Usually limb delaminations I have seen have been the result of leaving a bow in a hot vehicle or case over extended time frames and the outer layer pops off...of course it must be a bow issue because no one would ever do that to their bow

LC
Old 07-27-2016, 10:49 AM
Banned

I really like Bowtech bows, but there is no denying that they have issues with quality control. It's not because they are pressed wrong, it's because of inconsistencies in their lamination process couple with a massive amount of preload in the limbs. They have an excellent platform, and one of the best cam systems on the market, unfortunately their limbs haven't caught up with the technology yet.
Old 07-27-2016, 10:56 AM

Quote:

LC
Not a run around at all was my experience at Jim Bows when my Destroyer 350's top limb blew apart. And that's a sound I never want to hear again, scared the crap out of me!! It just so happened that you guys had an extra set of limbs for the Destroyer in the shop, but instead of a limb swap I upgraded to the Carbon Overdrive. The Destroyer got stripped, and everything put on the Overdrive in less than a couple of hours (most of that time spent shooting other bows before deciding on the Overdrive). Jim Bows & Bowtech stand behind their products.
Old 07-27-2016, 11:47 AM

Quote:
My guess and it's only a guess is that improper or over pressing can cause the split limb axel to twist causing that sort of thing to occur.

Usually limb delaminations I have seen have been the result of leaving a bow in a hot vehicle or case over extended time frames and the outer layer pops off...of course it must be a bow issue because no one would ever do that to their bow
LC
No, people abuse all bows from all manufactures all the time.
Maybe there is just more Bowtechs out there but you seem to hear about more limb issues with Bowtechs than all other manufactures
Old 07-27-2016, 12:00 PM

Not sure seems like No one can resist a good Bowtech bash fest

As far as limb issues I have personally seen 3 Hoyts, 2 Matthews and 2 APA's to one Bowtech in the past while.

Most are splintering and not delamination.

All Bows have issues its how the company deals with it that matters in my eyes. I also spend a lot of time in bow shops and shoots so I see quite a few things.

Ask to see the Carbon Air riser that is crumbling or the axle that split in half.

Personal experience on 6 Bowtechs I have never had an issue except my fault issues.

LC
Old 07-27-2016, 12:04 PM

I was just having fun and mixed in a few serious questions and stated some observations.
No bashing here