Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-03-2011, 10:16 PM

Default Mexico Fishing Incredible Sailfish

So just got back from Mexico. The wife and I spent a week relaxing in the nice 32 degree 95% humidity. It was fantastic. Resort was incredible. The food was amazing. Secrets Silversands near Cancun.

Got out for a half day of fishing. Shared fishing so didn't know who I was gonna be fishing with....so young couple from Arkansas join me.

This is not only their honeymoon but their first vacation. I mean their very first vacation ever.....

So we get onto this fish and the agreement at first is the girl goes first...OK.

Well no more than 3 minutes in our guide says Amigo your turn. So here we go.....this was awesome and after about 25-30 minutes we bring the sailfish in and it was incredible the power these fish have.....

I have deep sea fished 3 times now and this is the first for a sail fish. I didn't get the greatest pictures but here they are.....by the way I didn't get the pics but did also catch about a 48" Baracuda. That was a lot of fun too.

The kids came in for the picture but within 2 minutes they were throwing it over the side of the boat. We went in a little early but I was happy as hell so it didn't matter.

Last edited by beerhunter; 06-03-2011 at 10:22 PM.
Old 06-03-2011, 10:23 PM

Nice sailfish! Congrats.
Marlins dont have that big fin like a sailfish.

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Benelli, Sako, Beretta, Tikka, Franchi, Burris, & Steiner
Old 06-03-2011, 10:25 PM

Just wondering how fast would you troll for 1 of those? They look like they could swim extremely fast.

Nice fish by the way!

http://youtu.be/ZLDzPH-cBhw
Old 06-03-2011, 10:36 PM

Good to know. I had so much fun and the guides did such a great job. I could understand when we were trolling what they were doing and where they were targeting the fish and it was very cool even though I couldn't understand a word they were saying. I didn't even google sailfish vs blue marlin I didn't care I was so excited. Thanks
Old 06-03-2011, 10:43 PM

Great job. Experience of a lifetime for 99% of fishermen!
Old 06-03-2011, 10:51 PM

Hey buddy, that's a sweet sailfish, I haven't been to Mexico since 1994 ( when I was 12). I caught 4 marlin that winter, just striped marlin! They were all about 150 pounds, which is what I weighed at the time! I would give anything in my life to go back to that age and do it all over again! I spent 2 winters in Mexico as a preteen ( 11-12 ) it was the best experience of my life! That was back before Cabo was so huge, there wasn't that much activity there when I was down there! Congrats on your big sail! And good on you for the release! Back in 94 they used to keep 3-4 marlin a day on the charter boats! They do a lot more tag and release now I think! At least on the big ones! We used to fish with all the old farts in the rv park, I went out probably twice a week or more when I was there! It was great! I still have video of my first marlin on VHS, but I now have no VCR left to watch it on! Oh well, I'll get to watch it again someday!
Old 06-03-2011, 10:57 PM

Oh, just a note, we caught all our marlin on live mackerel about a foot long, I haven't seen them caught trolling before, at least not in person! On YouTube yeah!
Old 06-03-2011, 10:59 PM

Yes the fish was released very fast after the pictures.

What I was referring to "the kids throwing it over the sides" was the young couple from Arkansas were chucking over the side of the boat right after that....very funny
Old 06-03-2011, 11:22 PM

Disclaimer:

I would like to change the title but it won't let me. I feel like a dumb ass for not googling the species before posting. I had such a great time so.......whatever!!!!

Enjoy
Old 06-05-2011, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokanee9 View Post
Just wondering how fast would you troll for 1 of those? They look like they could swim extremely fast.

Nice fish by the way!
you can troll as fast as your boat can go if you want.they have been clocked at 70 mph. fastest fish in the ocean.

Last edited by bardfromedson; 06-05-2011 at 11:17 PM. Reason: more info