Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 08-19-2019, 02:15 PM

Default Gunsmith recommendations - in or near Calgary

TL;DR:
Any recommendations on gunsmiths in the area? At the very least, I was told that somebody attempted a hack-job of bedding the barrel when they replaced the stock on my tikka M595/695 in .308. A new stock maybe be the way to go at this point though, as it's been a little Frankenstein-ed.

Longer story on the history of the issue:
Well it's almost hunting season again and I'm caught with my pants down. Really meant to get this done ahead of time, but the first summer with a 1-year-old at home has kept me away from any shooting. I'm not sure what the back log would be for this type of work, but I hope there's still a chance to get it done in the next two weeks.

Three years ago I had the pleasure of sighting my rifle in at fellow AO member (since been banned, but thanks again gitrdun), who also did some gunsmith work on the side. He suggested that the bedding, which looks like it extends 4-6" down the barrel from the action, may be the source of the issue. But I didn't have time or funds at the time and also rarely hunt outside of bush or past 100 yards.

Last year I attended the APRA sight-in, and things really opened up at 200. That was off a bench with a rest and sandbags. I didn't even bother wasting my time past that distance. I think it's a good rifle and that the barrel is in good enough shape, but a 2nd opinion would be great as I really don't want to sink a bunch of funds into it if it's not worth it.

Just a few months later, this past November, I had a painstaking standoff with a white-tail at 200 yards. I had a long time to get a shot off, and many chances, but ended up passing on the shot due to lack of confidence at that distance. That was just before dusk on my last day of deer hunting, and a very sad and frustrating moment.

I hate to blame the tool, but I've spent a few years in the reserves and have shot a good assortment of rifle calibers. I know my rifle procedure and know that I'm doing a decent job of keeping things steady, not jerking the trigger, etc. Either way, this rifle was a hand-me-down from my father-in-law and was well used (and abused) for years; lots of DIY repair jobs over the years, and I wanted to gauge the likelihood and worthiness of showing it some TLC.

Initially I thought I would at least sand down the additional bedding length myself, but really don't have time with kids and all to do that, run out to do some target shooting to confirm, then come back and re-work.

Any thoughts, recommendations, and gunsmith suggestions are very welcome. (Pics can come tonight if that helps)
Old 08-19-2019, 03:55 PM

Default Most gunsmiths have a 2-3 month lead in time

Except at this time of year when it is 6 months
Old 08-19-2019, 04:31 PM

Give Leroy a call at Rocky Mountain Guns in Okotoks.

He has always done good work on my rifles.
Old 08-19-2019, 04:40 PM

I expect a two week turn-around at this time of the year is unlikely. Looks like if you want something done, you will need to do it yourself. I would spend 20 minutes to remove the barreled action and use some sandpaper wrapped around a piece of doweling to remove enough of the barrel channel bedding to free float the barrel all the way back to the recoil lug. Then, I would spend another half hour giving the bore a thorough cleaning with a good copper solvent like Sweets 7.62. When zeroing, use a good quality brand/cartridge that you plan to use on game.
If time permitted, I would be calling Henry Rempel in Langdon.
Old 08-19-2019, 10:45 PM

Default A866j3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 260 Rem View Post
I expect a two week turn-around at this time of the year is unlikely. Looks like if you want something done, you will need to do it yourself. I would spend 20 minutes to remove the barreled action and use some sandpaper wrapped around a piece of doweling to remove enough of the barrel channel bedding to free float the barrel all the way back to the recoil lug. Then, I would spend another half hour giving the bore a thorough cleaning with a good copper solvent like Sweets 7.62. When zeroing, use a good quality brand/cartridge that you plan to use on game.
If time permitted, I would be calling Henry Rempel in Langdon.
I second this.

Tags
308, gunsmith, gunsmith help, rifle, tikka