Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-27-2016, 12:14 PM

Default never drill through dirty snow.... yes I made rookie mistake

Terrible unlucky day yesterday
Was going to fish Chin lake for the first time... At first, right about leaving Calgary I figured that I forgot my wallet with all licenses... so needed to waste 30 minutes to get back home and pick it up. Then after almost 3 hr drive finally got on the lake... was planning to fish near the bridge as all reports were telling that's the spot to try. But I wanted to check ice thickness first so drilled few holes in between the parking spot at the bridge at around 4-5 meters deep. Tried for 20 minutes, no bite so off to the bridge I go. It was very sunny and I wear transitional glasses which makes it easy on eyes but changes real colours a bit. After I wondered near the bridge I noted that snow was a bit dirty but did not think much about it until I tried to drill the new hole. To my surprise hand auger with new blades which drilled perfectly just 20 min ago was absolutely useless and could not scrape even a surface of ice! I was truly shocked and upon further examining blades I noted tons of little dents and damage which explained why it was not drilling anymore. Only than it hit me that snow near the bridge was contaminated with dirt, sand and other debris falling from the bridge and I needed to clean it before trying to drill
So all I could do is to go back to initial holes in the shallows, spend 4 hrs without seeing a single bite and go home fuming about my own stupidity.
So lesson learned. If you planning to fish near the bridge - better clean snow and ice really well before drilling!!! And have spare blades just in case.
Old 12-27-2016, 12:17 PM

Oh man..... Been there.....I soooo share your pain man.
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 12-27-2016, 12:28 PM
Gone Hunting

Sounds relaxing. lol

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 12-27-2016, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bessiedog View Post
Oh man..... Been there.....I soooo share your pain man.
That feeling when you realise your day is ruined is really sick. I could have drove to Taber or Lethbridge in hope of finding new blades, or asked some other fishermen to drill me some holes, but decided to give it a go in initial spot...oh well, I will be back one day and hopefully it will be a luckier one
Old 12-27-2016, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post
Sounds relaxing. lol
no kidding I was getting stressed reading it .. not fun
Old 12-27-2016, 03:07 PM

Reading this brought flashbacks to 1983. Looking for the sandbar in long bay on Cold Lake we wanted your be just north of the bar in the spring trying to catch some eyes, when the sand angered up we were hooped. Trip back to town luckily we knew the fellow who owned the hardware store and was a fishermen. He came down opened his store and sold us new blades. Back to the bay moved north of our previous location this time finding water!

BW
Old 12-27-2016, 03:34 PM
Banned

Carry a speed sharp and a diamond file been there done that. I always carry a extra set of blades now
Old 12-27-2016, 03:40 PM
Banned

Default auger blades

i feel your pain i carry a small sharpining stone with me and has salvaged a bad day for me on the ice but sharpin top of blades only
Old 12-27-2016, 05:14 PM

Back during my first season icefishing, me and my buddy sharpened the blades for his dad's auger on the bench grinder, and off we went to the lake.
We cranked that thing for an hour, couldn't get a hole through.
Walked over to a tent, and a guy there was kind enough to lend us his. Got us back fishing. (I think we got a 4' Burbot that day)
I say, don't hesitate to ask a fellow fisherman for a hole if you're in a pinch. Having been there, I am more than willing to punch some holes for someone up a creek without a paddle.
Old 12-27-2016, 06:51 PM

Happened to me with a hand auger years ago. Got to a spot at night, went to drill a test hole before taking the truck onto the ice and I drilled right into the bottom!
Couldn't get the thing to bite into the ice after that. Didn't take us long to figure it out and a 2 hour drive home after that without even getting a line in the water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-27-2016, 08:27 PM

I hear ya man, this could happen to anyone and it has happened to me too.
I always keep an extra set of blades and a wrench just in case
Old 12-28-2016, 12:22 AM

Well, crap happens. Sounds like the fish weren't biting anyway, so now you have no fish but a good story to tell, instead of just no fish and no story. Always look on the bright side