Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-01-2015, 12:56 PM

Default Music CD's and Movie DVD's...what to do? Garbage?

I was going through the old entertainment centre in my house and all of a sudden realized it's filled with nothing but crap.

Hundreds of CD's and DVD's as well as paperbacks that we haven't used in YEARS!

Does anyone actually listen to or watch CD's/DVD's anymore??

I shudder to think of the money we've spent on these items over the years, and all to what...throw in the garbage? Shelves and shelves of media that is nothing but a dust collector.

Time to purge!!!
Old 11-01-2015, 01:29 PM

Default Same issue

I'm interested in any ideas as well. Hate to toss all that stuff if it could be used somewhere. We used to have a used book store close that would buy or trade but they've closed down.
Old 11-01-2015, 04:15 PM

In the same situation here.

A few years ago I took all of our DVD's, Blue Rays, CD's etc. and ripped them all to digital format and put them on a media server in my basement. Now any of the devices in the house can pull them up whenever they are required via streaming devices.

I am unsure of the copyright laws and whether or not I can get rid of the physical media. For now they are on shelves out in a sea can (along with all the other junk I'm not sure what to do with).

I do appreciate all the extra shelf room in the house with them gone.
Old 11-01-2015, 04:28 PM

Default Check with your local hospitals?

At least some, if not all, of them, still have patient entertainment systems (especially in the children's wings) that rely on donated CD's and DVD's. They may be happy to get the (appropriate) ones as a donation (?).
Old 11-01-2015, 04:46 PM

Sadly I still watch DVD's and miss rent a movie night, I don't know how to download movies legally I've tried to google it a few times but all I get is advertising or how to get FREE? movies. Is there a guide for dummies somewhere?
Old 11-01-2015, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat119 View Post
Sadly I still watch DVD's and miss rent a movie night, I don't know how to download movies legally I've tried to google it a few times but all I get is advertising or how to get FREE? movies. Is there a guide for dummies somewhere?
Technically I don't think you CAN download a movie "legally". There are many streaming sites and paid subscription sites (Netflix, Shomi, etc).
And learning how to download them "illegally" doesn't take much, but it is a little tricky trying to learn it unless someone's there to show you. Then it only takes a few minutes.
Old 11-01-2015, 04:54 PM

That's the part I don't get, I have Netflix and watch movies all the time but I used to be able rent newer movies then take them to the lake where there is no internet for rainy days. I fly a lot and see people watching movies on tablets and laptops are these guys legal?
Old 11-01-2015, 05:17 PM
Banned

Value Village or the Bissell Centre.
Lot's of people out there who can't afford all the different internet options available to those with a decent income.
Old 11-01-2015, 05:53 PM

Quote:
That's the part I don't get, I have Netflix and watch movies all the time but I used to be able rent newer movies then take them to the lake where there is no internet for rainy days. I fly a lot and see people watching movies on tablets and laptops are these guys legal?
Probably not. They either rip their DVD's onto their tablets, or just download torrents. Everyone downloads now days. The illegality of it is about as illegal as taping a TV show or recording a song off the radio as in years back.

I don't know of anyone in Canada that's ever been convicted of it.
The Feds have even claimed they wont pursue illegal downloads. Can't be bothered. Takes me about 10 minutes to download an entire movie. About 30 seconds to download an entire CD. I have about a hundred movies on the hard drive, and can quickly put a few of them onto a tablet for viewing when out of range or travelling.
Old 11-01-2015, 06:16 PM

Thanks Dave Torrents, I'll have to find a 16 year old to teach me a new trick
Old 11-01-2015, 06:51 PM

I would take all DVDs, CDs, BRs and whatnot, pack in a box, and throw it into the far corner in the basement. I don't expect any of them to go up in price like vinyls did at some point. But think about "end of the world" scenario... No internet, but still can get some power from some kind of generator (a couple of solar panels, or a little turbine in the nearby creek)... Wouldn't it be nice to to sit back with a cup of home made shine and watch Titanic...

On the other hand, if you still want to give them away - check the public library. I know lots of new immigrants go to library to get movies or shows on disks because you can watch movies over and over again, first with subtitles, then without... Some other folks who aren't "internet-ically inclined" probably would be delighted to have more choice at the library.
Old 11-01-2015, 06:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
Have you looked into netflix?
Old 11-02-2015, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtodrick View Post
Value Village or the Bissell Centre.
Lot's of people out there who can't afford all the different internet options available to those with a decent income.
Value Village is a for Profit thrift store, Sally Ann or one of the others will welcome them and all the money realized will go to those who need it. Good source for those looking for movies as well.

Grizz
Old 11-02-2015, 07:04 AM

Make some mobiles with them and sell for huge $ .

Garage sale in the spring? $ 0.50 each ?

Gonna get me a 16" perch.
Old 11-02-2015, 07:36 AM

Donate to the library?
Old 11-02-2015, 10:17 AM

Public library. Or old folks homes.

Books could maybe go to local schools, depending on the content.
Old 11-02-2015, 11:05 AM

If your looking at the torrent angle make sure you have a VPN setup on your router to protect yourself from the movie police.
Old 11-02-2015, 11:06 AM

Dvds are pretty worthless, but some older Cds are collectable by audiophile types. The newer cds are mixed too loud , mostly to sound good on earbuds, but are crap on a nice home system. If you have some from early to mid 90s they can be useful delending on what it is.
Old 11-02-2015, 11:15 AM

This shop in Bonnie Doon mall in Edmonton buys or trades CD's and DVD's. Take them in and trade them for some new tunes and movies.They have to be in good shape and in cases.

http://www.revolver-inc.ca/

Some of the bookstores buy or trade paperbacks too. Try Wee Book Inn on Whyte ave.. I think they trade used DVD's too.

http://www.weebookinn.com/
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets

Last edited by Red Bullets; 11-02-2015 at 11:23 AM.
Old 11-02-2015, 11:25 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
Value Village is a for Profit thrift store, Sally Ann or one of the others will welcome them and all the money realized will go to those who need it. Good source for those looking for movies as well.

Grizz
I know Value Village is for profit...a valid point is though that they cater their sales to low income people. They are more numerous than the ones you mention. For many of their customers it is much easier to get to a Value Village (because there are more of them) than the Sally Ann and Bissell center.
So you are correct...they do make money...but they also get the stuff into the hands of people who can't afford new retail.