Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 11-13-2016, 10:09 AM

Default Eskimo Auger

Does anyone know the gas/oil mixing ratio for an older Eskimo Viper auger. Just bought one and the guy was not too sure.

Thanks
Old 11-13-2016, 10:23 AM

I like to use the premixed fuel. Either Top fuel or Aspen fuel. I find my machines run better plus it has a 5 year shelf life and burns cleaner.
Old 11-13-2016, 10:27 AM

50:1

https://www.geteskimo.com/Document/Download/1266
Old 11-13-2016, 02:33 PM

50:1, as stated previously. Use premium Shell gas (no ethanol), or the premixed stuff mentioned above.
Old 11-13-2016, 02:54 PM
Gone Hunting

Use Shell Premium & Opti 2 at their recommended ratio of 100:1. I have used that particular mix 25+ yrs. in my Tanaka auger engine and to this date(yesterday)flashes on no more than the 2nd tug.

http://opti2-4.com/index.php?dispatc...ategory_id=165
Old 11-13-2016, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opa View Post
Use Shell Premium & Opti 2 at their recommended ratio of 100:1. I have used that particular mix 25+ yrs. in my Tanaka auger engine and to this date(yesterday)flashes on no more than the 2nd tug.

http://opti2-4.com/index.php?dispatc...ategory_id=165
Mine says 50:1 on it.
Old 11-13-2016, 08:19 PM

As stated above use the Aspen, save yourself a lot of trouble.
It's from experience..
Old 11-13-2016, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhutter View Post
Mine says 50:1 on it.
Pretty sure he means opti 2's recommendation of 100:1. You might have to give your needles a tun or so running that thin. I know I had to when I was running amsoil at that ratio.

Nowadays I run 50:1 redline in all my 2 strokes. I find that it keeps the combustion chamber cleaner than any other oil I've tried
Old 11-13-2016, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockyman41 View Post
Pretty sure he means opti 2's recommendation of 100:1. You might have to give your needles a tun or so running that thin. I know I had to when I was running amsoil at that ratio.

Nowadays I run 50:1 redline in all my 2 strokes. I find that it keeps the combustion chamber cleaner than any other oil I've tried
You're right. Whoops
Old 11-14-2016, 08:17 AM
Gone Hunting

Here is the Opti 2 site:

http://opti2-4.com/index.php?dispatc...view&page_id=9

The engine emits minimal smoke, and the muffler does not puke unburned oil like the richer gas/oil mixes do. The company warrants any engine that may crap out from using their product. No, I am not a vendor of the product, but received my information from an old logger who used it in all of his saws. You will only require a single can of mixed fuel for all of your two cycle engines that you may have. It is what I call convenience, and eliminates any confusion for anyone in the family who might be using that equipment and has to refuel it.
Old 11-14-2016, 09:44 AM

If you're in Calgary you can use Co-op's regular gasoline. It's free of ethanol. I think it's only Co-ops in Calgary that are like this though.
Old 11-14-2016, 10:07 AM

Default Opti 2/Shell Premium

I use Opti 2/Shell premium in all my toys at 100:1 as indicated and have for years. This stuff works as good as they claim and the nice thing is I can buy it in small pouches and 1 pouch is measured exactly enough for my refill gas jug. No mixing I just dump in the pouch of Opti and fill er up with gas and done. I use it all year long in my Eskimo and Jiffy augers, Stihl backpack blower, Husky chainsaw and weed wacker so it is always in use. Hard to find if you are starting out on it but most lawn and garden stores sell it in many sizes. In Calgary I get it at Arn's on the south side or AFG on the north side if I am up there. Probably others too but they always have in stock.
Old 11-14-2016, 01:12 PM

Default Ethanol free 87 at COOP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bemoredog View Post
If you're in Calgary you can use Co-op's regular gasoline. It's free of ethanol. I think it's only Co-ops in Calgary that are like this though.
Are you sure about that?

You very well may be right, but my friend's family owns a trucking company that trucks COOP fuel from the Regina refinery throughout western Canada and they've told me that all their fuel grades have ethanol in them.

If you know that for sure, then that's awesome - I run V-power because I was under the impression it was the only ethanol free fuel left.
Old 11-14-2016, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LutherDLG View Post
Are you sure about that?

You very well may be right, but my friend's family owns a trucking company that trucks COOP fuel from the Regina refinery throughout western Canada and they've told me that all their fuel grades have ethanol in them.

If you know that for sure, then that's awesome - I run V-power because I was under the impression it was the only ethanol free fuel left.
Esso Premium here is for sure ethanol free. I had to call all the way to Ontario to get the answer. For what it's worth Super Store here gets it's gas from Esso so their premium is also ethanol free.
Old 11-14-2016, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LutherDLG View Post
Are you sure about that?

Yep. If you call or email their head office here in Calgary they'll confirm as much: http://www.calgarycoop.com/stores/head-office/

If you just do a google search you'll find a trail among forums where this has been confirmed in the past as well:

http://www.pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=AB
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/archi.../t-108792.html
https://www.reddit.com/r/Calgary/com...uality_of_gas/
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showt...hlight=ethanol

This may not satisfy everyone's burden of proof, but if you give the head office a ring or email I guarantee they'll confirm that at most stations in Calgary all grades of fuel are ethanol free. No need to fork over tons of cash for the high octane stuff.

According to the pure gas list above there are some others that sell ethanol free gas in lower grades too.

Edit: don't ask the gas jockeys; they usually have no idea.
Old 11-15-2016, 12:32 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakeman View Post
Does anyone know the gas/oil mixing ratio for an older Eskimo Viper auger. Just bought one and the guy was not too sure.

Thanks
in a 2 gallon container , just put in a half of that small oil bottle , that's what l used , you don't want to much oil , you,ll have start issues , and you don't need much oil , its not like your going to be drilling holes all day
Old 11-15-2016, 06:29 AM

If gas at the pump has ethanol in it, it will say on the pump.

Gonna get me a 16" perch.
Old 11-15-2016, 06:40 AM

I use the Stihl premixed fuel in my auger. $10 a litre but has everything I am looking for.

Premium, no ethanol, 2 year shelf life when opened, 5 year when not plus easy to use container for pouring and resealable to boot.
Old 11-15-2016, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bemoredog View Post
Yep. If you call or email their head office here in Calgary they'll confirm as much: http://www.calgarycoop.com/stores/head-office/

If you just do a google search you'll find a trail among forums where this has been confirmed in the past as well:

http://www.pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=AB
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/archi.../t-108792.html
https://www.reddit.com/r/Calgary/com...uality_of_gas/
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showt...hlight=ethanol

This may not satisfy everyone's burden of proof, but if you give the head office a ring or email I guarantee they'll confirm that at most stations in Calgary all grades of fuel are ethanol free. No need to fork over tons of cash for the high octane stuff.

According to the pure gas list above there are some others that sell ethanol free gas in lower grades too.

Edit: don't ask the gas jockeys; they usually have no idea.
Good to know! Thanks for clarifying. I had used the pure-gas website before but always found it strange that it was one off stations (7/11's, etc.) that were ethanol free and none of them were close to be, so I've stuck with Shell premium. Good to know about COOPs.
Old 11-15-2016, 12:03 PM

I went with the Aspen premix. Mechanic at AFG swears by this stuff. 5 year shelf life and will work with any 2 stroke engine. He said the Opti2 may run too hot for some older engines and may burn them out.
Old 11-15-2016, 05:47 PM
Banned

Quote:

Without telling people which way to turn or how to do it, you just wrecked half the people's machines that read your post. Loose lips sinks ships😲 And you don't need to adjust anything for opti II it has better lube qualities is all that's why the weaker mixture and it's somewhat smokeless, best oil on the market bar none. Ps don't touch those screws unless you know your s&$t or you'll be without an engine.
Old 11-15-2016, 06:15 PM

Quote:

Are you saying to adjust the lean rich mixture on the auger based on the fuel oil mixture?
Old 11-15-2016, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xbolt7mm View Post
Without telling people which way to turn or how to do it, you just wrecked half the people's machines that read your post. Loose lips sinks ships😲 And you don't need to adjust anything for opti II it has better lube qualities is all that's why the weaker mixture and it's somewhat smokeless, best oil on the market bar none. Ps don't touch those screws unless you know your s&$t or you'll be without an engine.
All I said was you may need to adjust. Take that how you will. I know on my Eskimo I had to open my high speed a half turn richer when he switched from 32:1 to 100:1 amsoil. I also had to tweak again when I went to 50:1 redline. Had I not, I would have blown the motor as it was lean enough to bog. I've also seen and heard of other motors with similar issues.

That being said, if you do not know how to properly adjust a carb you probably shouldn't be changing your fuel oil ratio.
Old 11-20-2016, 08:08 AM

Quote:
All I said was you may need to adjust. Take that how you will. I know on my Eskimo I had to open my high speed a half turn richer when he switched from 32:1 to 100:1 amsoil. I also had to tweak again when I went to 50:1 redline. Had I not, I would have blown the motor as it was lean enough to bog. I've also seen and heard of other motors with similar issues.

That being said, if you do not know how to properly adjust a carb you probably shouldn't be changing your fuel oil ratio.
When you go from 32/1 to 100/1 you are making your fuel / air ratio more rich without adjusting anything. There is more fuel in there.
Old 11-20-2016, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergerboy View Post
When you go from 32/1 to 100/1 you are making your fuel / air ratio more rich without adjusting anything. There is more fuel in there.

Incorrect my friend. All you are doing by changing the fuel mix is changing the lubricating quality's of your gas, with conventional 2 stroke oil that is. With opti 2 it is a bit different as the characteristics of the oil are different. Point being the only way to adjust air/fuel is by adjusting the carb.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-20-2016, 08:34 AM

And getting back to what the op asked.... 50/1 is Eskimos recommendation. It's your choice if you would like to run opti or whatever, I've never had issues with good quality oil and premium gas

Old 11-20-2016, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by archercurt View Post
Incorrect my friend. All you are doing by changing the fuel mix is changing the lubricating quality's of your gas, with conventional 2 stroke oil that is. With opti 2 it is a bit different as the characteristics of the oil are different. Point being the only way to adjust air/fuel is by adjusting the carb.

The oil/fuel mixture plays a large part in the air/fuel mixture.

Fuel and Oil Mixture Ratios

When we talk about the "fuel" in the air-fuel mixture for a two-stroke engine, we are really talking about a mixture of fuel and oil. If you richen the pre-mix ratio (20:1 as opposed to 30:1) there is more oil and less fuel in the same volume of liquid, which effectively leans the air-fuel ratio. And this fact gives the clever tuner one more tool to use when the correct jet is not available or when none of the standard jets are exactly right. You can richen the jetting by slightly reducing the pre-mix ratio (less oil). You can lean the jetting by increasing the pre-mix ratio (more oil). The best part is that changes in the pre-mix ratio affect the jetting over the entire throttle-opening range, but the changes in ratio must be small to prevent excess wear from lack of lubricating oil or fouled plugs from too much oil.

http://www.pilotodyssey.com/carb1.htm

Opti oil is ok. The best choice in 2T oil is one whose flashpoint matches your engine operating temperature so it remains in gaseous form exiting the exhaust not creating drool. Flashpoint too low, poor lubrication due to burned oil, too high, exhaust drool
Old 11-20-2016, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergerboy View Post
The oil/fuel mixture plays a large part in the air/fuel mixture.

Fuel and Oil Mixture Ratios

When we talk about the "fuel" in the air-fuel mixture for a two-stroke engine, we are really talking about a mixture of fuel and oil. If you richen the pre-mix ratio (20:1 as opposed to 30:1) there is more oil and less fuel in the same volume of liquid, which effectively leans the air-fuel ratio. And this fact gives the clever tuner one more tool to use when the correct jet is not available or when none of the standard jets are exactly right. You can richen the jetting by slightly reducing the pre-mix ratio (less oil). You can lean the jetting by increasing the pre-mix ratio (more oil). The best part is that changes in the pre-mix ratio affect the jetting over the entire throttle-opening range, but the changes in ratio must be small to prevent excess wear from lack of lubricating oil or fouled plugs from too much oil.

http://www.pilotodyssey.com/carb1.htm

Opti oil is ok. The best choice in 2T oil is one whose flashpoint matches your engine operating temperature so it remains in gaseous form exiting the exhaust not creating drool. Flashpoint too low, poor lubrication due to burned oil, too high, exhaust drool

I completely understand the concept, but in all reality we are splitting hairs when talking about using the mix ratio to play a role in air / fuel mixture. We aren't building mod sleds here, were drilling holes in the ice. If an engine Calls for 50/1... run it at 50/1... it really is as simple as that. No need for over complication.

Old 11-21-2016, 08:00 AM

I should clarify. The reason I mentioned that I had to riches my high speed needle was due to high cup head temps. I've found that some motors run hot when you lean out your oil fuel ratio causing bog or worse. Richening your air fuel will lower your temps
Old 11-22-2016, 03:29 PM

Where is or what is AFG? Interested in trying the Aspen fuel.