Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-25-2016, 09:45 AM

Default Marcum VX-1i vs Ice 35?

Santa put both the Marcum VX-1i and the Ice 35 under the tree and told me to pick the one I like best and return the other.

Never used a flasher. Both look like good units, so looking for hands on experience. Thanks!

SS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors
Old 12-25-2016, 10:03 AM

Nice Santa!!! I love my Marcum.
Old 12-25-2016, 10:07 AM

Depends on what kind of fishing you do. The ice 35 has more features such as 2 transducer cone angles and can go to 200 feet so it is probably better at deep water stuff if you like going for lakers. Has no case and an annoying 2 cord transducer and float system. I think it's got zoom as well which is good for deeper water.

The marcum vx1 is probably going to be a better flasher for the walleye and pike guy that stays 30feet deep or less but the unit will go to 160 feet if I remember correctly. Has a case and better easier transducer holding system. Can't remember if it's go zoom or not don't think so.
Old 12-25-2016, 11:42 AM

Hahaha what a great woman! Ok here's what you do, tell her you love her and return them both. Take an extra $100 out of your own pocket and throw it towards the marcum Lx3-i or the ice 45 it would be worth the extra cash out of your own pocket if you don't think she will kill you. Cabelas has the marcum lx3i on sale

Some times you catch the Big fish, some times you get stuck in Chip
Old 12-25-2016, 11:47 AM

Default Marcum VX-1i vs Ice 35?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROA View Post
Depends on what kind of fishing you do. The ice 35 has more features such as 2 transducer cone angles and can go to 200 feet so it is probably better at deep water stuff if you like going for lakers. Has no case and an annoying 2 cord transducer and float system. I think it's got zoom as well which is good for deeper water.

The marcum vx1 is probably going to be a better flasher for the walleye and pike guy that stays 30feet deep or less but the unit will go to 160 feet if I remember correctly. Has a case and better easier transducer holding system. Can't remember if it's go zoom or not don't think so.
Fish mostly pike, walleye, and perch. Wouldn't mind trying for lakers sometime but wouldn't be often.

The VX-1i has a zoom, but it's the bottom 5 feet only. Supposedly a higher res zoom than the Bird though so better differentiating. The Marcum has 160 ft on the dial. Not sure if its realistic for the unit at 1000 watts or not. Leaning towards keeping the Marcum as it has the case and single transducer cord.

Old 12-25-2016, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishHunterPro View Post
Hahaha what a great woman! Ok here's what you do, tell her you love her and return them both. Take an extra $100 out of your own pocket and throw it towards the marcum Lx3-i or the ice 45 it would be worth the extra cash out of your own pocket if you don't think she will kill you. Cabelas has the marcum lx3i on sale

Not sure returning both the items she got me for something better would get me in her good books. I have a family of 5 that like fishing so if I need to upgrade in the future I will pass it on and get something better.

SS

Old 12-25-2016, 11:51 AM

From what I read about the ice35 I would definitely take the marcumvx1i . The led display will be really nice and clear to see. I have experience with the old vx3 and I own a lx5 both being great units. I also have a flx28 vexilar so I don't favor any particular brand. The higher end hummingbirds look very nice.

Some times you catch the Big fish, some times you get stuck in Chip
Old 12-25-2016, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamSteele View Post
Fish mostly pike, walleye, and perch. Wouldn't mind trying for lakers sometime but wouldn't be often.

The VX-1i has a zoom, but it's the bottom 5 feet only. Supposedly a higher res zoom than the Bird though so better differentiating. The Marcum has 160 ft on the dial. Not sure if its realistic for the unit at 1000 watts or not. Leaning towards keeping the Marcum as it has the case and single transducer cord.

Sounds like the marcum is the way to go for you especially if it has a zoom. My Vexilar 18 zooms in on the bottom 6 feet I think and it is all you need for pike walleye etc. As for power the rated watts doesn't always mean as much as people think. My Vexilar only has 400 watts but it is as good as the ice 55 and marcum lx3. Transducer size and quality as well as the sensitivity of the head unit is more important than rated watts. Also high watt units eat through battery's much faster.
Old 12-25-2016, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROA View Post

For what it's worth, I bought my 1st flasher after doing a bunch of research and landed on the Ice 35. Although the picture on the box showed the dual cords, mine only came with the main transducer cable

I like that the dial is sooo huge, bright and easy to read...even for a novice like myself. The battery life is amazing as I've been out 3 times now and still have 1/2 charge!! It does have the zoom feature so you can focus anywhere within the water column you're fishing in. I like the simplistic yet functional features of this unit....in my mind less that can go wrong and a proven platform!

I happened to get mine on sale at Cabela's for $369, the case on sale for $50 and a mail in rebate for $35 MasterCard from Humminbird. When I factored in all those variables for the price/options comparison I'm very happy with the Ice 35.

Just my 2 cents worth.....either way what an awesome Xmas present you got from the Misses...you better give her a bunch of these
Old 12-25-2016, 12:48 PM

Wife paid $350 for the Marcum and $365 for the Ice 35. Ice needs a case ($50) but has a $35 rebate. So the Marcum ends up $30 cheaper than the Ice.

Old 12-25-2016, 01:41 PM

I don't have the Ice 35 but I do have this model of marcum. I like it. Have no complaints about it for an entry level flasher.
Old 12-25-2016, 01:50 PM

After actually fishing with all of them over quite a period I now have only Vexillar flashers and Lowrance Led finders/GPS. The Vexilars are reliable, great battery life, can go 4 or 5 days between charges, whereas the others go about 2 days. Also, the Vexillar seems to work better when we use it on open water. That said, all of them work pretty darn good.
Old 12-25-2016, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jegermiester View Post
.....either way what an awesome Xmas present you got from the Misses...you better give her a bunch of these

Agreed!

Old 12-25-2016, 04:44 PM

I found an LX-7 under the tree. Now it's time to figure out how to use the damn thing
Old 12-25-2016, 08:14 PM

Default Flasher

I have 3tci as back up. There all good depending on species and depth your trying to achieve. Good luck. A lot more interesting than staring at a hole wondering
Old 12-25-2016, 10:09 PM

I had my showdown for 6 years. I loved it but had a ton of problems over the years. Blowing fuses, would not power off, screen freeze to name many. Wrote Marcum for 4 years and they told me to send it back and pay $80.00 US and shipping $30.00 US they will look at it and try to fix it. Not good enough Marcum!!! Sounds like a lot of people have had issues . Just a bad experience with Marcum and warranty work that was not handled well.

Bought a Hummingbird Ice 35 and will be taking it out on Dec 27th to try it out.
Good bang for buck. Will let you know how it does.

Everyone has their own preference.
Old 12-26-2016, 09:29 AM

I use and still use my Ice 35 its not the fansiest unit but for the price works well for me I'v Marked Lake trout down to 85 FOW and perch at 5FOW, battery last forever zoom functions works fine I'm Happy with it Sure I would like the Marcum LX7 but all in time for me.
Old 12-26-2016, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhutter View Post
I found an LX-7 under the tree. Now it's time to figure out how to use the damn thing
Do the firmware updates on it and play with it a bit at home. Pretty simple to run and you'll love it. I run a 2 screen view. Regular flasher mode and chart mode. That way you see real time but also see a history if you look away for a couple seconds.

Enjoy, she's a beauty
Old 12-28-2016, 08:13 AM

So what did you end up keeping Sam and why?
Old 12-28-2016, 08:21 AM

Think I'm going to keep the Marcum for a few reasons.

1. Comes with a case right off the bat.
2. Already have a Marcum camera and chargers are interchangeable.
3. Like the arm better than the float. Less bulk in the hole.
4. From what I hear, better IR on the Marcum.

I do like the Humminbird for its shape (can fit in a pail), moveable zoom (Marcum is bottom 5' only, but I tend to fish bottom hugging fish anyway), and dual beam transducer.

In the end I think either would have been great. Have a Marcum camera already and like it. If there was a Helix G2 Ice I would have gone that way to use my Autochart Live map data. Can't do it on the G1 without a computer program to change the file format.

SS

Old 12-28-2016, 08:43 AM

Thanks for the feedback Sam, appreciate it. Considering purchasing one as well.....
Old 12-28-2016, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishunter77 View Post
I had my showdown for 6 years. I loved it but had a ton of problems over the years. Blowing fuses, would not power off, screen freeze to name many. Wrote Marcum for 4 years and they told me to send it back and pay $80.00 US and shipping $30.00 US they will look at it and try to fix it. Not good enough Marcum!!! Sounds like a lot of people have had issues . Just a bad experience with Marcum and warranty work that was not handled well.

Bought a Hummingbird Ice 35 and will be taking it out on Dec 27th to try it out.
I'll take that showdown off your hands. send me pm and let me know how much you want for it.
Mud