Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-28-2016, 03:52 PM

Default Jiffy Legend 77 idling problems

Hi All,

I'm having issues with my Jiffy model 77 auger idling. The auger connection keeps spinning without applying the throttle, leading me to believe that the idle is set too high. As it stands, I haven't been able to locate the idle adjustment screw(s). I just got the carb cleaned out and serviced at Lawnmower Hospital, but even though I had asked them to adjust it for me, they seem to have not done it. I'd like to be able to fix it myself (since they're not open until January 3rd), and was wondering if it's something simple or if I should wait to take it back in to them?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Tom
Old 12-28-2016, 07:04 PM

Turn the left jet clockwise very slowly until it idles down. Just note how far u turn so you can set back to original setting if that isn't the problem.
Shouldn't take much.
Might have to play with other jet a bit too if it's bogging when you hit throttle after first adjustment.
Old 12-28-2016, 07:06 PM

Missed the part about no adjustment screws sorry
Old 12-28-2016, 07:50 PM

I'm not sure where the idle adjustment screws/jets would be located. I've read that they are near where the throttle cable meets the main shaft. Are they two small opening that look like they receive a flathead screw driver?

Thanks again.
Old 12-28-2016, 08:13 PM

Idle (low speed) is always closer to engine and high speed is further from engine.
Vic
Old 12-29-2016, 11:47 AM

Many of the newer carbs have fillers over the screws. You have to remove them to adjust High and Low speed mixture. (In picture they have red plastic covers on others there are brass caps) To adjust the actual idle speed is NOT done with the mixture screws.

Follow the throttle linkage to where it hooks onto the carb. There will either be a spring or a spring and screw that adjust the idle speed.

Last edited by Dean2; 12-29-2016 at 11:53 AM.
Old 12-29-2016, 03:31 PM

Thanks a lot for your responses guys! My auger is the 1999 model, and I can't seem to find the aforementioned idle screw/spring. Could anyone locate it on the attached picture please?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (29.4 KB, 54 views)
Old 12-29-2016, 04:03 PM

FYI....My Jiffy was doing the same thing and took it apart and one of the springs on the clutch broke. So here is what I had to do...Shopped around Calgary for a Spring and they do not come small as they are. I went to a shop here in Calgary that makes custom springs so it was going to cost me $40 bucks for him to set up to make it...but also offered to sell me 4 springs for $50. In the mean time I priced out a new clutch ordering directly from Jiffy or Two small brothers engine repair and it was $20 cheaper going through brothers...Go figure
Old 12-29-2016, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tromanowski87 View Post
Thanks a lot for your responses guys! My auger is the 1999 model, and I can't seem to find the aforementioned idle screw/spring. Could anyone locate it on the attached picture please?
Looks like you are in the wrong area
Old 12-29-2016, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tromanowski87 View Post
Pm me your phone number. Iwill walk u through it. It really isnt that hard.
Old 12-29-2016, 07:09 PM

From your picture, screw on the right hand side is the one that you want to adjust. To lower rpm turn this crew CCW.
Old 12-29-2016, 08:00 PM

Well gentlemen, that screw does in fact regulate rpm, and I've also come to the conclusion that it is something a little more complicated. I'll take it back to lawnmower hospital and get them to do it right this time. Definitely not very impressed with them right now. Cost way more than originally thought, took about a week longer than estimated, and still didn't get fixed properly!

Anyway, thanks for all your help!