Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 03-22-2018, 10:40 AM

I don't really want to tell his story as I don't feel I would do it justice / nor is it my place to do so.
All I can say is that when the story says "serious non life threatening injuries", the scope of that is like nothing you could ever imagine. He is one lucky dude and I sure was fortunate to have met the guy.

BH

Old 03-22-2018, 11:23 AM

Highlander referred to fact they have few guys together and feel much safer. Just ask the people at Laird hot springs couple years back. There were around 40 people and the bear just kept picking them off until guy with rifle shot it. By the way it was only a black bear.
Old 03-22-2018, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
Highlander referred to fact they have few guys together and feel much safer. Just ask the people at Laird hot springs couple years back. There were around 40 people and the bear just kept picking them off until guy with rifle shot it. By the way it was only a black bear.
Sounds like a story line of a old slasher movie. Would be scary for sure.

BH

Old 03-22-2018, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Predatory black bear, play dead with one of those and you'll be dinner.

Grizz
Old 04-07-2018, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlin1 View Post
how did he fight him off ? or her ?
With his bare hands!
Old 04-07-2018, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKD View Post
With his bare hands!
He was apparently making breakfast, thinking fry pan.

Grizz
Old 04-08-2018, 08:16 AM

Speaking of frying pan, a guide in BC wood start fire on side of mountain , fill frying pan full of bacon then when grizz came for breakfast his hunter would get his bear. He asked guide how he came up with idea. " He said one time in past when he was cooking breakfast grizz came to scratch his back"
Old 04-08-2018, 10:57 AM

I've got an idea, how about instead of moving the problem bears to another campsite... how about making a designated area for problem bears, and open the season in that area.
Old 04-14-2018, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
He was apparently making breakfast, thinking fry pan.

Grizz
Sadly, no frying pan was involved. No meal prep either.

Bare hands!
Old 04-14-2018, 10:46 PM

Default bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little red riding hood View Post
I've got an idea, how about instead of moving the problem bears to another campsite... how about making a designated area for problem bears, and open the season in that area.
sort of like a reservation for bears
Old 04-15-2018, 12:39 AM

Quote:

I think you used a little writer's privilege in that retelling.
Old 04-15-2018, 01:00 AM

Quote:
No guarantee they will stay in the new area or where they will turn up. It also costs money.

Bullets are cheaper and more effective.
Old 04-15-2018, 10:38 AM

Quote:
North Burnt Timber , where this attack actually took place, is a release site for problem bears. That's where the Cochrane grizzlies were taken . Trying to get anybody to talk about this was like beating your head into a brick wall. Mirius, the Sundre fish cop, real estate agent, got down right nasty when I pushed the question.

Grizz
Old 04-15-2018, 11:02 AM

Default bears

Just for the record guys some numbers:
1) Only 172 fatal bear attacks in North America todate.
2) Most dangerous province/state to die from bear is Montana, followed by Alaska, Alberta and BC.
3) Glacier National Park most dangerous bear area followed by Yellowstone.
4) In 1940's to 1960's only average of 9 fatal bear attacks per 10 year period, then 70's to 90's doubled to 21. So far in 2000's went up to 46.
5) Some of most dangerous things you can do in wilderness, sleep in tent, dress out elk/moose, and jog.
6) just as may fatal attacks by black bears as grizz. Very few by polar bears.
Hope this helps stay safe.
Old 04-15-2018, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Just for the record guys some numbers:
1) Only 172 fatal bear attacks in North America todate.
2) Most dangerous province/state to die from bear is Montana, followed by Alaska, Alberta and BC.
3) Glacier National Park most dangerous bear area followed by Yellowstone.
4) In 1940's to 1960's only average of 9 fatal bear attacks per 10 year period, then 70's to 90's doubled to 21. So far in 2000's went up to 46.
5) Some of most dangerous things you can do in wilderness, sleep in tent, dress out elk/moose, and jog.
6) just as may fatal attacks by black bears as grizz. Very few by polar bears.
Hope this helps stay safe.
Ever more people going to bear country, coupled with an abundance of bears, things are gonna happen, still safer than crossing the street in a big city.

Grizz
Old 04-16-2018, 08:09 AM
Banned

Big boar ran a guy out of there on the opener in i wanna say 2014 or 15...can't remember, maybe 14. I ran into him near the trail head on way out, i was on my mountain bike and he was limping his atv and trailer full of gear out(atv was overheating, i caught up to him on bike), got the story at the trucks, i helped him load his atv trailer(that's a whole nuther story, two years in a row he was in there on atv when he shouldn't have been, rest of us on foot/bicycle or horse as we should, i understand he finally got charged?)

Anyway, if it's the same bear that really sucks. This one woke this guy up about 11pm by chewing on his tent with him in it. It stayed with him till about 4am, he ran beepers/alarms on his alarm and phone which he said did the best at deterring him, not sure if he did a warning shot or not...as i'm thinking about this i'm recollecting he said he did a warning shot right by it's head and it was unphased....so he said the beepers from alarm and phone set alternating every 5 minutes seemed to be the most effective, he kept the gun on him while it circled him 20 yards in the trees, flashlight etc....that would be one long night!!! He said he saw it sleeping above him on a slope in the am so he just packed up and left straight away...day two of season when i ran into him on way out. He was back in there the next year though, on his atv again.

My speculation why he didn't shoot was because not only was he in there on his atv when he shouldn't have been but he was also an outfitter, muley outfitter drum region from recollection of the sticker on his truck. When i asked him why i didn't roll in there on my honda foreman he just said well his buddy 'fr___' the outfitters son perhaps? said to go ahead and head in there on his atv.

Anyway, if this bear had been shot then maybe this guy wouldn't have had had to endure what he did? I really hope it's not the same bear.

I'm feeling pretty lucky right about now.

That's also pretty ****ty deal if they really dump problem bears in there, that should be posted at the trail heads if that's true!!!!!!

Last edited by Stinky Coyote; 04-16-2018 at 08:24 AM.
Old 04-16-2018, 09:10 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokinyotes View Post
Maybe more hunters just need to sss. This may help with some of the attacks that have been happening the last few years.
SSS? What kind of hunting ethic is that?
Old 04-16-2018, 09:12 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pioneer2 View Post
Especially if you let your guard down and the gun in not in reach.Another reason we should be allowed to pack sidearms.Harold
Bear spray in Alaska has shown to be more effective and less lives lost than guns. I don't go into the backcountry without it.
Old 04-16-2018, 09:22 AM

Default bear

Bear spray is better than nothing in your hand, however does not even come close to shotgun loaded with buck shot and slugs, especially dealing with an aggressive/predatory bear wanting you for lunch.
Old 04-16-2018, 11:17 AM
Banned

Oh and where this bear did the tent thing was about 12-13k from vehicles.

If someone has more details on this would like to hear. Would love to talk to the guy who survived this. Is it possibly the same guy? I can't imagine it would be but even if so it would be nice to know more on this story to understand better what to do if you get harassed like that in the night? I don't think i would have stayed up all night with a bear circling me at 20 yards hoping to eat me...and if the bear is willing to do that what happens when that bear escalates or comes on people without defenses? Is that exactly the case here? Anyway, hook me up on pm's if you know how i can learn more on this one?

If this is the same bear people should know how this started and you can predict whats going to happen eventually...maybe save somebodies arse down the road?

If it's the same bear and the guy who got mauled isn't the same guy from 2014/15 then holy crap...how does that guy feel now for not shooting that bear?

I knew that bear was around, pretty sure i heard him one night too, sign was there, hadn't layed eyes on him in the 3 years i went in and stayed solo for 6 days etc. From the very large scat to the torn up hill sides.

like i said....feeling very lucky

running a perimeter alarm around camp the last season i was in there, maybe i shouldn't be such a solo artist and team up with someone
Old 04-16-2018, 11:24 AM
Banned

And.........

How do we find out if they dealt with this bear, people should really consider going in there knowing about these two incidents in past few years!

Description from the outfitter that got run out from this bear was it was a big boar. And i'll corroborate that is the only scat i saw in there was one big bear, nothing smaller.
Old 10-22-2022, 11:29 AM

Exclamation Thread resurrection for continuity

Caught this story in the news today. Based on the date of the attack and a few details, I'm reasonably certain it is this story from August 2017.

https://calgarysun.com/news/local-ne...3-1cb7dccd4794

Quote:
Account of horrific grizzly attack is a story about survival 'against all odds'
Stephanie Babych
Publishing date: Oct 21, 2022 • 15 hours ago

When Crosbie Cotton heard the story of a Calgary man narrowly escaping death after being mauled by a bear in Alberta’s backcountry, he was inspired to write a book about the astonishing tale.

Cotton, an award-winning journalist and former editor-in-chief of the Calgary Herald, has heard many remarkable stories, but he said none has been as compelling as Jeremy Evans’ recounting of how he survived a brutal bear attack in August 2017.

“His story knocks you over. The experts that I interviewed remain astounded that Jeremy not only survived the horrific mauling but was back in the forest within months,” Cotton said over the phone on Thursday.

“This story is a tribute to the absolute power of humans to survive against all odds. What amazed me about the story was that it’s also a story of love, a story of family and a story of unwavering passion for the outdoors.”

The book, Mauled: Lessons Learned from a Grizzly Bear Attack, by Cotton and Evans, was released at the end of September and details the multiple attacks by a female grizzly bear that Evans endured, his recovery and the lessons he’s learned in the years since.

Evans said Thursday he had started a journal while recovering in hospital after the attack, as he experienced flashbacks of the traumatizing moments.

The outdoor enthusiast had been about 11 kilometres deep in the Alberta backcountry when he was mauled by the bear in three separate attacks. It was after the third encounter that he lost much of his face and ears.

Thinking about his wife and eight-month-old daughter helped to pull him through. He made it back to his truck and drove himself to find help, he said.

“There are a lot of personal things in the book that I wrote that I’ve never really told anybody,” Evans said.

He said he hopes readers will learn through his experience that getting mental-health support is a strength and not a sign of weakness, among other life lessons discussed in the book.

“The nightmares and the PTSD (post-traumatic stress disorder) that came afterwards was probably the worst part,” said Evans.

The book took about two years to write, Cotton said. It was tricky to get all the interviews for the book because of the pandemic, he added, but he was eventually able to speak with the surgeon who reconstructed Evans’ face, the trauma surgeon who initially treated him and wildlife experts.

No matter how deep you fall, you can get back up — this is the message Cotton said he expects readers will take away.

“Jeremy crawled close to 10 kilometres. His leg was injured, his stomach was injured, his face was in pieces, he had lost an ear, his eye was dangling and his jaw was smashed. This book is about the lessons a person can learn when they think they can’t go on,” he said.

“It’s about the power of the human spirit.”

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 10-22-2022, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 510-Gem View Post
Sadly BC could start to see their fair share of this with all of the fires displacing animals and no trophy season in the coming years.

Is there a record showing a time when grizzly bears were more abundant in the mountains/foothills than they are now?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
According to research Grizzly Boars need a huge home range,hence the spreading of them eastwards.I am sure back in the distant past there were more,but not in the recent. They are a magnificent animal,however they have to be controlled somehow.Relocating is the usual solution, but where to put them is thee problem.Simply no good habitat with low bear density left.
Old 10-22-2022, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban rednek View Post
Caught this story in the news today. Based on the date of the attack and a few details, I'm reasonably certain it is this story from August 2017.
It is.... Buy the book and read the story.

https://rmbooks.com/book/mauled/
Old 10-22-2022, 05:14 PM

I saw this thread and my first thought was, not again ? Wouldn't surprise me a bit.

Grizz

Isaiah 5:8
Old 10-23-2022, 02:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban rednek View Post
“Jeremy crawled close to 10 kilometres. His leg was injured, his stomach was injured, his face was in pieces, he had lost an ear, his eye was dangling and his jaw was smashed. This book is about the lessons a person can learn when they think they can’t go on,” he said.
Sweet Jesus...
Old 10-23-2022, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIceTitan View Post
Sweet Jesus...
You have to know that road to really appreciate how he managed it.

Grizz

Old 10-23-2022, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKD View Post
It is.... Buy the book and read the story.

https://rmbooks.com/book/mauled/
I just bought it - it's available on Amazon (and for the Kindle as well) for those interested.

Looking forward to reading the story
Old 10-23-2022, 04:37 PM

Default Grizz

We were bird hunting in 412 two weeks ago along the transAlta road.

Stopped for lunch in the ditch, put guns away in the truck.

After lunch we were looking at some timber for a future firewood trip.

Big sow grizz with a cub came sauntering up the road. Woofed and did three bluff charges to about 50 feet away before making her way down the ditch.

They are out there my friends, keep your eyes open.
Old 10-23-2022, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma View Post
We were bird hunting in 412 two weeks ago along the transAlta road.

Stopped for lunch in the ditch, put guns away in the truck.

After lunch we were looking at some timber for a future firewood trip.

Big sow grizz with a cub came sauntering up the road. Woofed and did three bluff charges to about 50 feet away before making her way down the ditch.

They are out there my friends, keep your eyes open.
X2. A sow and 3 cubs relocated from a feed lot east of Bergen about a month ago. Not the only ones in the neighborhood, gonna be a lot of elk hunters there this next week.

Grizz