Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 04-06-2018, 10:54 AM

Arrow Recommendations for hunting and running shoes?

Newbie here, asking for your help and suggestions. I am looking for quality shoes that work for people with flat feet and can used for various outdoor activities. Are there good combination hunting and running shoes for people who have flat feet and tend to tire out quickly? I saw this but would love to get feedback from people who have tried them. https://www.geekwrapped.com/guides/b...-for-flat-feet Please let me know if you have another source. Thanks a lot!
Old 04-06-2018, 11:00 AM

I wear boots for hunting for ankle support , protection, and to keep my feet/ankles dry.
Old 04-06-2018, 11:57 AM

I use older (but still good quality) runners when it's still warm for bow hunting. I like that they're light and dry out quickly when they get wet. I don't mind wet/damp feet when it's warm out or in the evenings, but once the early mornings get cool with lots of dew....not so much fun.

Can't comment on flat feet issues though.....
Old 04-06-2018, 12:38 PM

This is what I wear. Had a pair for 3 years now. Water proof, light, comfortable. I recommend wearing a boot for ankle support and keeping things out of your foot wear.
Get a pair of insoles that fit properly no matter what shoe or boot you wear.

https://www.cabelas.ca/product/64323...ack-duty-boots
Old 04-06-2018, 01:10 PM

As a lifelong flat-footer, I can honestly say I've got some of the worst flat-feet I've ever personally witnessed.... To the point of one foot creates a suction when coming out of a pool and walking alongside.

I have been and still am very active in sports (basketball, volleyball) and wear Active Ankle braces when playing sports to provide support and prevent injuries. Along with those ankle supports, I also wear an exceptional pair of orthotics in my athletic footwear. And for everyday (dress shoes at work) I transfer the orthotics into the dress shoes / everyday footwear.

As for hunting, I slip a spare Active Ankle into my left (worst) boot along with the same orthotics in both boots. The orthotics do more for proper ankle alignment and allows me to hike all day long without fatigue, and the AA allows for sidehilling without constant rolling of my left ankle. Without the AA, I'm usually limping pretty bad after a few hours.

For my everyday shoes, I've went with a cross trainer (usually Asics brand) that has a Duomax footbed. This Duomax has a higher density foam in the arch section that creates more stability for said arch. Look at sports stores for this (lots of other brands are now creating shoes with this dual density footbed)

J.

Edit: for hunting boots, I'm not particular to any brand, but always judge the boot by squeezing the ankle portion.... If it's too soft, I don't even look any further. It must provide some sort of support. Then I double the support with the AA.
Old 04-06-2018, 01:41 PM

The only time I have used sneakers is for antelope hunting. Usually work well for me except when I run into those small pear shaped cactus.

If you wear sneakers a lot and have foot issues, got to a podiatrist and have orthotics made.
Old 04-06-2018, 06:36 PM

If you are set on sneakers, Merrell has very good arch support. You can also get inserts made or buy Super feet inserts, green have really good arch support. I have flat feet as well.

Thomas Sowell
Old 04-06-2018, 07:20 PM

I have some waterproof Merrells for early season bow hunting.
Old 04-06-2018, 09:46 PM

Get some good boots and buy a pair of super feet for them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-06-2018, 11:27 PM

I wear keens. I’m flat foot and learned to embrace it. You’re tiring quickly because you’re dealing with arch support pushing against your foot.

Despite popular opinion it’s not actually as detrimental as the orthotics community would have you believe. Weak ankles? Start doing lunges and squats.
Old 04-07-2018, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESOXangler View Post
I wear keens. I’m flat foot and learned to embrace it. You’re tiring quickly because you’re dealing with arch support pushing against your foot.

Despite popular opinion it’s not actually as detrimental as the orthotics community would have you believe. Weak ankles? Start doing lunges and squats.
Sounds like a great idea, but if you could see my ankles, you'd understand that nothing short of surgery will fix them - and I'm still too active to undergo a knife. Maybe when I retire from sports (65 or so) I'll look into surgery, but until then, I'll keep going with my current method. My ankles haven't let me down for the last 40 years of playing sports, no need to jeopardize that now.

My feet definitely feel better after a day of standing on orthotics, rather than without them.

J.
Old 04-07-2018, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcrayford View Post
Sounds like a great idea, but if you could see my ankles, you'd understand that nothing short of surgery will fix them - and I'm still too active to undergo a knife. Maybe when I retire from sports (65 or so) I'll look into surgery, but until then, I'll keep going with my current method. My ankles haven't let me down for the last 40 years of playing sports, no need to jeopardize that now.

My feet definitely feel better after a day of standing on orthotics, rather than without them.

J.
I cannot imagine going without. My feet get more sore doing house work where I cannot wear orthotic's than they do after a 2 hr. hike with them.

Thomas Sowell
Old 04-07-2018, 10:42 PM

I wore orthotics for a long time. But eventually as I got into better shape and started lifting heavier I found they made things worse. Ditched them and my legs feel better everyday then they ever did with those snake oil wedges jammed between my feet. IMO of course.
Old 04-10-2018, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESOXangler View Post
I wore orthotics for a long time. But eventually as I got into better shape and started lifting heavier I found they made things worse. Ditched them and my legs feel better everyday then they ever did with those snake oil wedges jammed between my feet. IMO of course.
Funny you should feel that way ....... was talking to a co-worker and he was saying the exact same thing. He used to spend a ton of money on that stuff and ended up exercising his ankles, legs, feet and dropped 15-20 lbs and hasn't looked back since.

I use runners (more of a light hiker/runner combo) when everything is dry and conditions are suitable. Much quieter in early season, and the risk of rolling an ankle or something isn't as big of a concern where you can see what you are stepping on.

Most of the time, however, a boot with good support is more practical.

I personally don't have flat feet, but I'm also not a ballerina.
Old 04-15-2018, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanzero33 View Post
Newbie here, asking for your help and suggestions. I am looking for quality shoes that work for people with flat feet and can used for various outdoor activities. Are there good combination hunting and running shoes for people who have flat feet and tend to tire out quickly? I saw this but would love to get feedback from people who have tried them. https://www.geekwrapped.com/guides/b...-for-flat-feet Please let me know if you have another source. Thanks a lot!
Whatever boots you buy, custom insoles work wonders! Can’t say much about runners, but for quality, tough, mountain boots, my Danner “Canadians” are tough to beat.