Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 03-10-2010, 08:14 AM

Default Steiner Optics

Can anyone give me feed back on the Steiner binocs? I have been looking at the Predator C5's. I'd like a decent set, but my pocket seems too tight to get the money out of it.
Old 03-10-2010, 09:09 AM

I carry Steiner safari 9x42's ..... they have been everywhere. I have lent them out to go to Africa, they have been in the rainforest, and I take them to the Yukon. Never fog, no issues.

My son has the Steiner predators. He drops them, uses them for everything and they have not failed either.

I'd buy another pair for sure. Mine did cost a bit over $600 at the time but I think it was money well spent.

Unless I lose them, I doubt I will have to buy another pair of binocs in my lifetime.
Old 03-10-2010, 10:44 AM

My Dad has steiner's are they are great clarity Bino's!!! He bought steiner and I bought 10x50 leupold's for the same price and there is a huge difference between the two.Go with the steiner's!!! good value optic for your $$$$$
Old 03-10-2010, 11:08 AM

I was never impressed with the Clarity of the Steiners and the pair we owned broke after only a few short months..

Better optics out there for the 600-700 you will spend on the Predator C5's imo..
Old 03-10-2010, 12:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownBear416 View Post
I was never impressed with the Clarity of the Steiners and the pair we owned broke after only a few short months..

Better optics out there for the 600-700 you will spend on the Predator C5's imo..
such as.....?
Old 03-10-2010, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishootbambi View Post
such as.....?
Do you got stiener's? Dad loves his,they are very clear! But they're not swarovski's Clear!!! I think they're exellent for $600.German made aswell!
Old 03-10-2010, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishootbambi View Post
such as.....?
Most of the Pentax DCF models are in that ballpark for price..
Old 03-10-2010, 12:58 PM

i upgraded to steiner peregrines 10x48. this was a huge change from the leupold bino's i had, easily bought an extra 5-10 minutes at dawn and dusk. the only pair of bino's i've personally used that were better were leica 10x50's. i think to get better glass than steiners you have to go to leica or swarovski or zeiss? glass.... i just couldn't justify the money for jumping to the next level.
Old 03-10-2010, 01:29 PM

See, that's my problem... I've used my bro-in-laws Zeiss binos and they are great. But I know he paid around a grand for them. I want something in the $600-800 range but am not completely satisfied with Leupold. Plus I want to have something different. I dunno..
Old 03-10-2010, 01:30 PM

I've been running a Steiner Predator Bino that's not in production anymore for 5 or 6 years and love them. No problem ever and I tend to be hard on equipment.
Old 03-10-2010, 01:51 PM

I've had a pair of Steiners for over 10 years. Paid 650-700 back then. They're great, very clear still. Last fall dropped them while goat hunting and watched them tumble down the mountain. Picked them up at the bottom and they were in perfect condition, other than a few scuffs. Granted it was steep enough that they only touched down once in a while I wouldn't hesitate to but another pair.
Old 03-11-2010, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by altaberg View Post
I've been running a Steiner Predator Bino that's not in production anymore for 5 or 6 years and love them. No problem ever and I tend to be hard on equipment.
x2. Myself and my hunting partner both picked up a pair of Steiner Predator's in 10x42. These were the binos that preceded the C5's, which I wasn't the biggest fan of. I think retail on them at the time was around $1,150 and we got them for around $850. They are unbelievable glass IMO, I would check Ebay to see if anyone still has any available. A friend's father has had the military Steiners for around 20 years and he still swears by them.
Old 03-11-2010, 08:00 AM

The voice of dissent. I have a pair of the Steiner 8x 30 military glasses and am not impressed. The optics are so, so and that damned carrying strap is just not designed for cold weather. Maybe a lower grade, but for the money I paid for them, I could have got better glasses, for less.
Grizz
Old 03-11-2010, 09:13 AM

I bought the millitary 8 x30 15 years ago and it is still going strong. You have understand where and when to use them. The are not really of a high caliber. I also have the 10 x 42 peregrine and have used them on numerous sheep hunts. My friend has the swarvoski and its hard to tell the difference. I find the ergonomics are great. The eye cups and hand grips are not found on other binos.
Old 03-11-2010, 07:57 PM

I have the Merlins and put them side X side with my Cousins Leicas. For $1000 dollars difference you get a more weight and slightly clearer view (hardly noticable) with the Leicas. IMO the Merlins ($550 US) are the best binocs. out there for the $$$.
Old 03-11-2010, 08:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetail Junkie View Post
Do you got stiener's? Dad loves his,they are very clear! But they're not swarovski's Clear!!! I think they're exellent for $600.German made aswell!
i do not own steiner. i am looking at buying my next bino's though, and they should be the last pair i buy so looking to make a good decision.
Old 03-11-2010, 09:50 PM

Default Steiner Preditor

My Preditors fogged up after use in heavy rain. Got a warranty replacement and the new pair have rubber protectors falling off. Had to glued it back on. The clarity is decent for the money; however I wouldn’t buy a new Steiner again.
Old 03-13-2010, 03:23 AM

I have owned Nikon,Bushnell,Pentax,and cabela's euro' .Best quality glass ,Cabela's(but heavy).Most ergonomic,Pentax.They all ranged in price from $450-$950 .Best advice,set a budget ,compare them all indoor/outdoors.I also hear Vortex makes nice glass in that price range,haven't seen them yet though.
Old 03-13-2010, 09:02 AM

Default www.cameralandny.com

go there and get a set of their demos. They have only been out of the box on display and you will save a ton. Lots of guys here will vouch for them. I bought a set of Minox for 550, which were 800 at WSS.
Old 03-13-2010, 12:15 PM

Default Steiner Night Hunter 8X56

Gentlemen,

I have a pair of Steiner Night Hunter 8X56 binos and they're fabulous.

Three years ago I was out hunting elk with my brother in law and a friend. Both gentlemen had other brands and were glassing the surrounding ridges and whining about how there were no elk anywhere to be seen.

Since I always want to see for myself I looked through my Steiners and lo and behold there was a herd of elk where the others had looked and seen nothing.

Nobody believed me and everybody had to look through my Steiners before they too believed.

You won't find a better pair than the Steiners.

Cheers,
EH
Old 04-13-2010, 01:27 PM

I was thinking about a pair of Steiner 8x42 merlins. Does anyone know if these are any good they seemed super clear in the store although they do have a bit of weight to them.
Old 04-13-2010, 06:59 PM
Banned

A lot of people scoff at Steiners and have never even used them.

They are based upon the military Steiner NATO issue binoculars, and are downright friggen bright in low light and tough.

Yes Swarovski's are better, but how much more do you want to pay?
Old 04-09-2018, 03:32 PM

No shiit Steiner have issue with there scopes, Just got another Steiner last week, is the P4Xi 4-16X56mm, look like a very nice glass, but there is big problem when using turret for dialling in, two mil rad up and two mil rad Right will only give you 1.7mrad up and 1.7mrad Right, this is the second scope I had to send back to manufacture for warranties, the first scope with problem was the T5Xi 5-25X56mm, What a coincidence ??, it will take month if not year to deal with this problem, and steiner manufacture know of this problem. Thank God Steiner do have a full department to deal with Warranties with Customer, from an Old problem that they know it exist, even they guy for the shop know that this had happen before with different scope from the same manufacture. That scope listed as having 30Milrad in total for elevation, I found out at the range that is only had 20Milrad Elevation in Total. what a joke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greylynx View Post
A lot of people scoff at Steiners and have never even used them.

They are based upon the military Steiner NATO issue binoculars, and are downright friggen bright in low light and tough.

Yes Swarovski's are better, but how much more do you want to pay?
Old 04-09-2018, 04:45 PM

Not Steiner but German made Best binoculars I've ever seen , I paid 750 for mine 25 years ago from Barton's I guess you can still get these.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 04-09-2018, 05:19 PM

best binocs Ive owned but only paid 400 predator series
Old 04-09-2018, 07:28 PM

Cabelas has the steiner binos on sale on their online site
Old 04-09-2018, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elk Hunter 55 View Post
Gentlemen,

I have a pair of Steiner Night Hunter 8X56 binos and they're fabulous.

Three years ago I was out hunting elk with my brother in law and a friend. Both gentlemen had other brands and were glassing the surrounding ridges and whining about how there were no elk anywhere to be seen.

Since I always want to see for myself I looked through my Steiners and lo and behold there was a herd of elk where the others had looked and seen nothing.

Nobody believed me and everybody had to look through my Steiners before they too believed.

You won't find a better pair than the Steiners.

Cheers,
EH

Same thing happend with me except I was counting antler points and he couldn't even see the elk with his Pentax binos.
Old 04-10-2018, 10:16 AM

Thread is 8 years old but I still carry my Steiners as does my son
Old 04-10-2018, 10:24 AM

I've used a pair of Nighthunter XP 10x42s for the last 4 years as my main binoculars and I have been very impressed. I've had them on numerous multi day back country trips and they have been thoroughly abused and have performed very well. Clarity is excellent in all weather conditions and work very well at twilight. I've wiped and cleaned the lenses with t-shirt corners and other things you should never use to clean glass and they have remained scratch free. I've attached and unattached them from my tripod likely over 200 times and the threads haven't worn down at all. The only complaint I've had with them so far is they are a touch heavier than other optics in the same category. Other than that I'm very happy with them.
Old 04-10-2018, 06:25 PM

I love these threads that are six seven eight years old that just pop up I didn't even look but I wasn't the first one anyway

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk