Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 07-27-2010, 09:10 PM

Default 7mm Rem Mag for Grizzly?

I am possibly looking into grizzly hunting in the future. With a well placed shot most guns will suffice, but does the 7mm Rem Mag have the hitting power to set one down efficiently? What are your experiences?
Old 07-28-2010, 06:21 AM

I know of one fellow who succesfully defended himself and his moose kill from a griz back in the arly 80's with his trusty 7mm Rem mag, and 162gr. Hornady BTSP's.

Now he was moose hunting not griz hunting, and had spent a lot of time with that rifle evaluating, practicing etc.

I also read about the largest griz ever killed in Alberta, with a 22 rimfire none the less.

The fellows in BC I hear about, who hunt sheep, elk, and moose in griz country, seem to carry 30 cal magnums or larger type rifles, if that is any sort of a guide post to follow.

I'd suggest if your spending the cash to travel to hunt a griz (Alberta is likely a long ways from having a regular griz hunt)that perhaps you are deep enough in the pockets to invest in a dedicated griz rifle, specific to the task.

What ever that would be...

There are no absolutes
Old 07-28-2010, 07:40 AM

x2 on above, excellent post It would work but the margin of error is quite large compared to say a .338 Win Mag or even a 375 rcm. The other downside with the 7mm Mag is that the barrels tend to be fairly long (in the 26") range. This is defintely not the best if you are going into thick bush after a wounded bear. I think if I was going I'd get the Ruger Alaskan in 375 RCM, or a shortened 338 win mag however thats just a personal choice. As was said above if you got he cash for this type of hunt I think you could probably cough up for the right rifle. Good luck I'd love to see the pics when you get back.
Old 07-28-2010, 07:51 AM

The 7MM Rem Mag will do all you ever need to do to a Grizzly. And then some. I know one old timer who has killed several with one, another has done the same with a 270 Winchester, and another older still has killed even more with his open sited Pre-64 Model 70 270 Winchester. His "big gun" as he called it. "Margin of error" notwithstanding.

-Billy Molls
Old 07-28-2010, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
The 7MM Rem Mag will do all you ever need to do to a Grizzly. And then some...
X2
Old 07-28-2010, 10:18 AM

My two bits worth is this.
Make sure you are comfortable with the firearm in general. If you pick a different caliber, make sure the rifle is very similar in feel, size and function to what you are use to. When your heart gets pounding, you want to instinctively know how to load and accuratly fire your weapon.

If you stick with your 7mm, get some good, heavy bullets designed for deep penetration. Swift A-Frames, Nosler Partions, Barnes X. Depending on the country and how far you are planning to shoot, I'd consider a heavy round nose bullet.
Depending on your rate of twist, when I refer to heavy, I'm thinking 165 gr plus.

If you can swing a new gun, them other guys had some excellent suggestions of caliber, in my opinion. But once again, depending on your experience, I'd suggest picking one of those +30 calibers in a rifle the same make and size of your favorite hunting rifle.

I would also suggest a low power, low light scope. Something with a duplex or heavy duplex reticle that is quick and easy to bring on target in low light. And something that goes down to 3X with at least a 40mm objective.

And I'd consider a tactical mount for this scope. Something really solid and dependable. There's a guy in Nanton that supplies and mounts scopes and mounting systems.

Depending on how deep your pockets are, if nothing else, I'd consider looking at my ammuntion choices and optics and keeping my 7mm.

In the 100 yard range that you are quite likely to shoot your bear, a big heavy, high density bullet from your 7mm has a lot of energy and penetrating potential.
Old 07-28-2010, 10:31 AM

I killed a grizzly in the Yukon last year with my 7 mm REM mag 150 grain Barnes TSX - 210 yard shot, worked just fine imo
Old 07-28-2010, 11:04 AM

Last two times I went walking around the mts with a grizz tag in my pocket I was carrying a 257

Partner had a 300 though

Try it again in just over a month

tm
Old 07-29-2010, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigoldan43 View Post
My two bits worth is this.
Make sure you are comfortable with the firearm in general. If you pick a different caliber, make sure the rifle is very similar in feel, size and function to what you are use to. When your heart gets pounding, you want to instinctively know how to load and accuratly fire your weapon.

If you stick with your 7mm, get some good, heavy bullets designed for deep penetration. Swift A-Frames, Nosler Partions, Barnes X. Depending on the country and how far you are planning to shoot, I'd consider a heavy round nose bullet.
Depending on your rate of twist, when I refer to heavy, I'm thinking 165 gr plus.

If you can swing a new gun, them other guys had some excellent suggestions of caliber, in my opinion. But once again, depending on your experience, I'd suggest picking one of those +30 calibers in a rifle the same make and size of your favorite hunting rifle.

I would also suggest a low power, low light scope. Something with a duplex or heavy duplex reticle that is quick and easy to bring on target in low light. And something that goes down to 3X with at least a 40mm objective.

And I'd consider a tactical mount for this scope. Something really solid and dependable. There's a guy in Nanton that supplies and mounts scopes and mounting systems.

Depending on how deep your pockets are, if nothing else, I'd consider looking at my ammuntion choices and optics and keeping my 7mm.

In the 100 yard range that you are quite likely to shoot your bear, a big heavy, high density bullet from your 7mm has a lot of energy and penetrating potential.
x2

I would consider a scope in the 1.5 - 6 power. If poop hits the fan and you need fast target aquasition a low power scope will make all the difference. The Nikon Monark Gold Series is good bang for the buck
Old 07-29-2010, 06:34 PM

You'll be fine, if you know your gun and can shoot. Worked for me and the alternative was my .338, but I had more confidence in my ability with the 7mm. Read accounts from 40, 50 years ago, before the Magnum craze hit and you'll find most hunters packed calibers in the .270, 30/06 class.

Grizz
Old 07-29-2010, 10:02 PM

I shot a black bear this year that had a bigger body then some grizzlies I've seen dead on outfitters websites.

I shot him with a .270 130 TSX at about 175 yards. He was quartering away hard, I hit him on one of his last ribs, the bullet was recovered a couple inches back off his opposite ear, weighing 128.5 grains. He didn't twitch.

Shoot a great bullet in your 7RM, make a good shot and you will be fine.

Old 07-29-2010, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
I know of one fellow who succesfully defended himself and his moose kill from a griz back in the arly 80's with his trusty 7mm Rem mag, and 162gr. Hornady BTSP's.

Now he was moose hunting not griz hunting, and had spent a lot of time with that rifle evaluating, practicing etc.

I also read about the largest griz ever killed in Alberta, with a 22 rimfire none the less.

The fellows in BC I hear about, who hunt sheep, elk, and moose in griz country, seem to carry 30 cal magnums or larger type rifles, if that is any sort of a guide post to follow.

I'd suggest if your spending the cash to travel to hunt a griz (Alberta is likely a long ways from having a regular griz hunt)that perhaps you are deep enough in the pockets to invest in a dedicated griz rifle, specific to the task.

What ever that would be...
I think the .22 shot your talking about was made by an old woman and she was shooting a single shot cooey. I can't imagine trying to make that shot!!! All the same my cooey 39 is my favorite gun!
Old 07-29-2010, 10:23 PM
Banned

I would use the 7mm Rem Mag,, on any amimal on this earth.
Old 07-30-2010, 08:26 AM

Good point on the tougher bullets however I don't know how comfortable I would be chasing an animal in the bush with something so long. But defitnitely the 7mm will do the job.
Old 07-30-2010, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noneck180 View Post
I would use the 7mm Rem Mag,, on any amimal on this earth.

smart man,..I too, do not buy into the BS that the 7 Rem Mag is not a good cartridge...best all-'rounder for all of NA IMHO...although may be considered less than ideal on large beasts that can fight back...but I have no doubt it would work on them too...
Old 08-01-2010, 12:45 PM

I am lucky enough to have quite a few choices. Of all the big game I have shot over the years, the 7 Rem Mag probably accounted for 80%, not counting bears, though I killed a few bears with that caliber too. I shot 90% of my bears with a 45-70, loaded with 350 Grain Hornady RN bullets. These were hive contol bears and most were shot under 75 yards, with the odd one out to 200. I also shot some with a 32 WCF and a 30-30. When guiding for bear and tracking a clients animal, the short barrel and rapid fire of the lever are pretty hard to beat in dense bush. Being left handed, 458, 416 and 375s weren't an option at the time.

Since then I have acquired a 375 Ruger in left hand. If I was going bear hunting tomorrow, I would still pick the 45-70 for bears under 150 yards. If I might shoot a little further than that, the 375 is hard to beat. I have always believed more gun is better, as long as you can shoot it well.

If the only gun I had was a 7MM I would not hesitate to use it. With a Hornady 175 SP or a Nosler Partition it will definitely do the job.
Old 08-03-2010, 08:36 PM

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve View Post
I shot a black bear this year that had a bigger body then some grizzlies I've seen dead on outfitters websites.

I shot him with a .270 130 TSX at about 175 yards. He was quartering away hard, I hit him on one of his last ribs, the bullet was recovered a couple inches back off his opposite ear, weighing 128.5 grains. He didn't twitch.

Shoot a great bullet in your 7RM, make a good shot and you will be fine.

Nice black and also a TSX fan.
Old 08-03-2010, 09:01 PM

25-06,I Thought was the cartridge of Cartridges on Here.
I think the 7mm will be plenty for a Grizz!
Old 09-06-2010, 04:09 PM

Default Thanks everybody for your input!

Thanks again for all the input, it's appreciated! I just got back from Alaska and the Yukon and learned alot about what it takes. The general concensus up there is "big", especially if you have to defend yourself, some are a little over board, but they say the minimum is .300 Win Mag or .338 Win Mag. I feel comfortable with the 7mm as long as I can pick when I pull the trigger!
Old 09-06-2010, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TikkaT3-7mm View Post
Thanks again for all the input, it's appreciated! I just got back from Alaska and the Yukon and learned alot about what it takes. The general concensus up there is "big", especially if you have to defend yourself, some are a little over board, but they say the minimum is .300 Win Mag or .338 Win Mag. I feel comfortable with the 7mm as long as I can pick when I pull the trigger!
Pick up the latest copy of successful hunter. There is a good article in there on cartridges for Bear.

-Billy Molls