Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-11-2009, 07:25 PM

Default -34 Tomorrow

Pretty Cold Tomorrow whos going out. I am thinking about going to travers, but I am not sure if I will make it.
My 6 year old really wants to go, but that might be a little cold to take him out.
Old 12-11-2009, 07:31 PM
jrs

I'm making my first trip out, see how all the gears working. It's not that cold in a pop up tent with a wood burning stove .
Old 12-11-2009, 07:43 PM

minus 21 at Champion tomorrow according to the weather network. Not much wind around the provincial park, it shouldnt be too bad. if you want guaranteed fish try Enchant, not big but plentiful. I will likely be there in the morning . they like maggots, (perch, trout)
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 12-11-2009, 07:47 PM

-31 here tomorrow...I'll most likely be staying home

If I had a tent and a heater it would be a different story entirely...

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 12-11-2009, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneChristie View Post
minus 21 at Champion tomorrow according to the weather network. Not much wind around the provincial park, it shouldnt be too bad. if you want guaranteed fish try Enchant, not big but plentiful. I will likely be there in the morning . they like maggots, (perch, trout)
Do you find you need to be there for the early morning to catch the perch. Or do they bite all day long!
Old 12-11-2009, 07:58 PM

I was there Sunday and Tuesday this week, starting noonish, there are so many I dont think they care what time feeding time is they like Gulp maggots, but Im wondering if they would like the wiggly real ones even more. I caught the rainbows on the same bait. plain hook, copper wireworm, small jig, they bit them all. Plus its fun to see them after your hook. altho if its snowing the light may not be as good but its fairly shallow so you should still see them, plus they bite right up to the ice too.
Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 12-11-2009, 08:18 PM

I'm going out because I haven't been out yet this winter....I booked 2 weeks of over Christmas and plan going out as many times as I can....
Old 12-11-2009, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezle View Post

That mean your a no go for sunday? Im not sure if Ill make it out.

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 12-11-2009, 08:35 PM

Quote:

OH MY GOD do you know that is only -23 F. We use to play hockey outdoor until it hit -32F
Old 12-11-2009, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostguy6 View Post
That mean your a no go for sunday? Im not sure if Ill make it out.
I'm totally in if you are...I was sort of assuming that you and Dan probably wouldn't want to go if it was that cold. mooseknuckle is really anxious to get out too, and has access to a tent but no heater.

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 12-11-2009, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icefever View Post
OH MY GOD do you know that is only -23 F. We use to play hockey outdoor until it hit -32F
Hockey's a little more active than fishing

And do you realize how bad you dated yourself working in Fahrenheit?

- Strung Out

- Douglas Adams
Old 12-11-2009, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badback View Post
I'm going out because I haven't been out yet this winter....I booked 2 weeks of over Christmas and plan going out as many times as I can....
Im supposedly off the week after Christmas, come down this way sometime and you can teach me how to icefish
Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

Old 12-11-2009, 08:50 PM

Quote:

whats worse, I grew up in F and worked in the weather office when Canada did the changeover so I had to learn in both
Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

Old 12-11-2009, 08:51 PM

I have a Tent and a heater and my dad said no, my girl friend said no, my friends convinced me to help them move instead. so ill be freezing without fishing. If sunday gets to -20 i can convince my dad to go.
Old 12-11-2009, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey1099 View Post
I have a Tent and a heater and my dad said no, my girl friend said no, my friends convinced me to help them move instead. so ill be freezing without fishing. If sunday gets to -20 i can convince my dad to go.
Sunday was cold and blowing like crazy, and I was still warm in the tent with a heater. and catching fish, they didnt seem to mind the wind
Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

Old 12-11-2009, 09:00 PM

Quote:
whats worse, I grew up in F and worked in the weather office when Canada did the changeover so I had to learn in both
Poor bugger...I'm sure at that point in time things were a gong show.

I know both just because I was taught C in school, but all the older folks I know still function in F.

It's strange how in Canada we operate half metric and half imperial...

- Strung Out

- Douglas Adams

Quote:
I'm totally in if you are...I was sort of assuming that you and Dan probably wouldn't want to go if it was that cold. mooseknuckle is really anxious to get out too, and has access to a tent but no heater.
Hard to say, I dont want to freeze my ass off but I want some trout. Im still waiting to see if Dan still wants to go.

If we dont make it out your more than welcome to borrow my heater.

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."

Quote:

I may be old but I'm not dead. Sorry that your fishin is slow, I like to go where there is action, keeps me warm. You youngins still have a little to learn from the old boys. It's all about having fun
Old 12-11-2009, 09:06 PM

Quote:
I may be old but I'm not dead. Sorry that your fishin is slow, I like to go where there is action, keeps me warm. You youngins still have a little to learn from the old boys. It's all about having fun
I'll openly admit I have plenty to learn I've been out of fishing for at least 6 years, so I have lots to learn, and even more to re-learn...and learning the area is an even bigger task! I'll get there though

If you're in the Edmonton neighborhood and are willing to bring out a tag-along...

- Strung Out

- Douglas Adams
Old 12-11-2009, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostguy6 View Post
Hard to say, I dont want to freeze my ass off but I want some trout. Im still waiting to see if Dan still wants to go.

If we dont make it out your more than welcome to borrow my heater.
Cool, keep me in the loop. I'd really like to get out again, even if I have to suck it up and suffer a little

And thanks for the offer of the heater, I really appreciate it, and if you decide not to go out, I may just have to take you up on it

- Strung Out

- Douglas Adams
Old 12-11-2009, 09:36 PM

yeah it is -36c right now in fort mcmurray. was suppose to go ice fishing tomorrow morning but with -38c with -49c windchill on the forecast for tomorrow i am not going to bother even with tent and heater.

but my 3 buddies who were going to go with me said there going anyway and came and borrowed my tent. i just said best of luck to ya. i will be going out next week when the forecast calls for +2 c
Old 12-11-2009, 10:32 PM

Quote:
you tell them. time to be warm when them fires are licking at our toes
why I remember walking 30 miles to school in my bare feet in the winter.......ok it was a bad dream, but it could have happened
Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

Old 12-11-2009, 11:30 PM

Default icefishing

If the trail is not drifted in to badly then im going for an evening trout fish,if it is impassable then its an evening coyote hunt. Last weekend there was ten inches of ice. It will be interesting to see how much it has thickened with this cold snap.
Old 12-12-2009, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Cool, keep me in the loop. I'd really like to get out again, even if I have to suck it up and suffer a little

And thanks for the offer of the heater, I really appreciate it, and if you decide not to go out, I may just have to take you up on it
Hey guys yeah wife already gave me sunday off I have to do it I'm thinking I'm definately up for some trout on Sunday I'll dig out the ol parka hope you all do the same. Hope to see ya
Old 12-12-2009, 01:24 AM

-34.....I think I will sit on the couch and watch people catch fish on WFN and Wild TV.lol
Old 12-12-2009, 05:53 AM

Quote:
you tell them. time to be warm when them fires are licking at our toes
why I remember walking 30 miles to school in my bare feet in the winter.......ok it was a bad dream, but it could have happened
You forgot the part about walking both ways uphill

- Strung Out

- Douglas Adams
Old 12-12-2009, 07:35 AM

Quote:
You forgot the part about walking both ways uphill
crap, and that was the best part too!!! thinking I will stick close to home tomorrow or even do some drywall mudding, since its only getting up to minus 27 plus a good wind. lots of places close to home tho so may make it for a bit. wanted to hit PCR but thats a 2 hour drive at the best of times
Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

Old 12-12-2009, 07:37 AM

I think a couple of us are going to be brave and drive back out to Chickacoo tomorrow and try for a few more brookies

Just gotta see who's willing to suck it up and brave the elements!

- Strung Out

- Douglas Adams
Old 12-12-2009, 07:41 AM

I have places to try within 20 minutes in any direction, so may give it a shot when the sun is high in the sky. About time I gave some pike a run for the money. One of them is supposed to have huge perch too, too windy for a canoe in the summer so this might be my chance. Going to hit Enchant in a bit to practice up on the wee ones with a couple people from Lethbridge if they make it. I will be brave today and try out in the middle of the pond and see if the big ones are hiding there.
Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

Old 12-12-2009, 07:47 AM

Quote:
I have places to try within 20 minutes in any direction, so may give it a shot when the sun is high in the sky. About time I gave some pike a run for the money. One of them is supposed to have huge perch too, too windy for a canoe in the summer so this might be my chance. Going to hit Enchant in a bit to practice up on the wee ones with a couple people from Lethbridge if they make it. I will be brave today and try out in the middle of the pond and see if the big ones are hiding there.
Good luck out there!

I've got close to an hour drive to get out to Chickacoo...I know there are a couple other little spots around Edmonton, but it seems like anything decent is at least around an hour away.

The longer the drive the more committed I am to staying out though...gotta make it worthwhile!

- Strung Out

- Douglas Adams