Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-13-2017, 06:41 AM

My cousin used to have wolfhounds. They were something to see, to be sure.

So, looks like recommendations are for a larger dog, and to ensure temperament is appropriate.

Thanks, guys!

I appreciate it.
Old 04-13-2017, 07:16 AM

Wolfhound or Pyrenees both have the drive , for some yote hatred lol . Large size and good cold weather dogs. Nice family pets when socialized.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-13-2017, 07:28 AM
Banned

I'm interested in these wolf hounds. How do they get along with other dogs? I've got a golden retriever and a bernaise mountain dog. The mountain dog will put a run on the coyotes but the golden retriever is not a very good sidekick and not much help.
Old 04-13-2017, 08:50 AM

Default Lab

My Lab puts the run on them, sorry I know...no help.
Old 04-13-2017, 08:56 AM
Banned

Biggest thing to remember with Danes and wolfhounds is the lifespan, not that long compared to other dogs.
Old 04-13-2017, 09:21 AM

I'm not sure if it's a breed trait, but I have a bernese/random whatever mix. He's awesome with my little girls, super friendly, stopped roaming after a little training, and actually cuddles our cat. I didn't think there was an ounce of aggression in him until the first time he saw coyotes. He went after two of them like they had just slapped his mother. It was pretty impressive.
Old 04-13-2017, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J0HN_R1 View Post
These... Both are very effective coyote hunters/killers...

Especially the G-H's, they run coyotes down like nobody's business.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkTw8u6qY2M

Holy *****, those dogs haul *****. The truck is driving fast to keep up. Very impressive.

This probably a dumb question but I'm assuming one trains their dogs to hunt, is that a difficult process?
Old 04-13-2017, 11:16 AM

Default My experience

My BIL's wolfhound was an awesome dog but she killed the other dog that lived with her in the same house.

I wouldn't trust her with a child or other dog. She will kill yotes, and anything else too.

Maybe a wire haired terrier.
Old 04-13-2017, 11:39 AM

Generally Irish Wolf hounds are very good with kids and other family pets. They have the size and speed to easily take down a yote. They typically have a life span of 5 to 8 years and are very pricy to buy in the $2000 range for a good one.
Old 04-14-2017, 07:34 PM

Dogo-Argentino
Old 04-15-2017, 08:29 AM

Default Heeler

My vote goes for the heelers. We have 4 reds 3 males and 1 female. awesome dogs great with our kids, fantastic gaurd dogs and h€ll on wheels in a fight. My neighbor has a doberman and bull mastiff that they let roam the hood. My female and old male tangled with them one day and and while my dogs were bloodied up a bit his two dogs looked like they got caught in a wood chipper. My dogs routinely bait in and kill yotes. Heelers are extremely head strong dogs and need serious training from the start or you will end up with an unruly pet. My dogs are outdoor only and do great in all weather. We use wireless shock collars to keep our dogs home otherwise they will roam a bit. If they do get away they instantly head up the road and get after our neighbors stock though:-( so we are diligent on keeping them home