Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-31-2017, 07:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klondike View Post
How would this be any different then insider trading on the stock market.
Its not, but because its politicians the law is not as far-reaching.

I don't believe the conservatives were immune to this type of behavior either.
Old 03-31-2017, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram crazy View Post
Next time your out there maybe you should take a picture of the cabin she bought so the non believers can see why they are paving the road and running the water line out to the ski hill.
Yes. Please post a picture so I know which one it is...........
Old 03-31-2017, 08:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver lab View Post
Please post a picture so I know which one it is...........
Why?
Old 03-31-2017, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Adams View Post
Why?
Eggs.

Who are you going to blame when all the ohv's are gone and the fish are still dieing
Old 03-31-2017, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Eggs.
Yes eggs.!
Old 04-03-2017, 12:38 PM

Kudos to B.C. for getting it right on OHV use.

https://news.gov.bc.ca/releases/2017FLNR0061-000924

We can't let this slip to the back burner. Don't let the NDP just wait it out and quietly slide it into law. Keep on them and be heard.
Old 04-13-2017, 09:26 AM
Banned

Another braindead group, shooting themselves in the foot.

http://calgaryherald.com/news/local-...le-park-region

Quote:
A hunting and fishing group*has added its voice to the chorus of conservationists supporting an off-highway vehicle ban in the southern Castle region.
The Alberta chapter of Backcountry Hunters and Anglers are*applauding Alberta’s decision to protect*Castle Wildland Provincial Park and the Castle Provincial Park with a phase-out*of off-highway vehicles over five years.
“Traditional hunters and anglers who consider themselves as stewards of the land understand that the outdoors are to be treated as a renewable natural resource, in order to be enjoyed by future generations,” says co-chair Cody Spencer,*a rancher and owner of Lethbridge-based Sweetgrass Bison.

The group favours an immediate ban on OHVs in the region but, at a minimum, is recommending motorized vehicles be prohibited on any trail within 100 metres of streams containing*threatened westslope cutthroat trout or bull trout.

Neil Keown, co-chair of the group, said that would improve the experience for conservation-oriented anglers and hunters who prefer “foot access, woods skills and fair chase traditions over technology and speed.”

Keown*said his group*decided to speak out now to show there are hunters and anglers who support the plan and the OHV ban, saying hunting and fishing in remote areas are “special — even magical.”

“Wilderness hunting and fishing deliver a sense of freedom, challenge and solitude that is increasingly threatened by the twin pressures of growing population and increasing technology.”

The government extended public consultation on the draft plan to April 19, and Keown’s*group met*with Alberta Environment and Parks officials on March 30. They proposed amendments including*wording that demonstrates*hunting and fishing are valued and accepted activities. There is also a recommendation preventing*OHVs being used to retrieve game and*against developing a vehicle-accessible road up the South Castle valley.
“Eliminating recreational OHV use in the Castle is a solid first step toward getting our public lands right again for hunting, angling and conservation.”
Old 04-13-2017, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newview01 View Post
Another braindead group, shooting themselves in the foot.

http://calgaryherald.com/news/local-...le-park-region

Not surprising at all with their ties to Y2Y
Old 04-13-2017, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt1984 View Post
Not surprising at all with their ties to Y2Y
Do you have a source for this?
Old 04-13-2017, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echo-Gecko View Post
Do you have a source for this?

I do

https://y2y.net/work/who-with-our-partners/partners-a-g
Old 04-13-2017, 01:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt1984 View Post
Great. Good to see responsible hunters and Y2Y working together to conserve habitat and proving they are not anti-hunting, or trying to exclude people, despite all the tinfoil hat conspiracy theorists.
Old 04-13-2017, 01:53 PM
Banned

Reasonable???

Excluding OHV riders is your version of reasonable???

Pretty sad that people will use junk science and get in bed with radical eco nuts just because they want an area ALL TO THEMSELVES!!

Care for some data that disproves the bs that OHVs ruin creeks??

http://www.snowandmud.com/land-use-i...ml#post2392715
Old 04-13-2017, 02:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fargineyesore View Post
Reasonable???

Excluding OHV riders is your version of reasonable???

Pretty sad that people will use junk science and get in bed with radical eco nuts just because they want an area ALL TO THEMSELVES!!

Care for some data that disproves the bs that OHVs ruin creeks??

http://www.snowandmud.com/land-use-i...ml#post2392715
Facts don't matter to these people. The goal is in sight and the blinders are on.
Old 04-13-2017, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjd View Post
Great. Good to see responsible hunters and Y2Y working together to conserve habitat and proving they are not anti-hunting, or trying to exclude people, despite all the tinfoil hat conspiracy theorists.
They are excluding the hundreds of families that random camp in the area
Old 04-13-2017, 02:19 PM
Banned

Default .

Big ranchers and farmers , leaseholders in the area want you and l out of there , they want it all for themselves and their cattle , do you think they don't lobby the Government to get their way , heck , they even have some of their own sittin in the house.
Old 04-13-2017, 03:20 PM

Quote:
So it is great that they are excluding the largest user group that actually accesses the area away from the road?
Old 04-14-2017, 07:25 AM

The Y2Y and Love Your Head Waters crowd love to see all the user groups fighting amongst themselves. Hunter groups that oppose OHV,s had better think twice about what they wish for, sure the NDP may ban OHV,s but make no mistake the hunters will be gone soon. This divide and conquer strategy is effective and it is working. The South Saskatchewan Regional Plan SSRP developed before the NDP were elected did not make the eviros completely happy but at least everyone had input and everyone could enjoy the area and we need to send a very strong message to government this is the only acceptable plan. This divide and conquer mentality will no doubt be used to ban other forms of recreation the Antis in the NDP do not approve of. Coming soon to a lake near you, "Banning Motor Boats".
Old 04-14-2017, 04:45 PM

Default The division and greed runs deeper in some user groups

Alberta chapter of Backcountry Hunters and Anglers supports direction of new Castle Parks

Backcountry Hunters and Anglers Alberta Chapter - A group of Alberta hunters and anglers are congratulating the government on the protection of the Castle Provincial and Wildland Parks and supporting the phase-out of off-highway vehicle use from the new parks. The Alberta Chapter of Backcountry Hunters and Anglers are united in their belief that the freedom to hunt and fish depends on habitat. While many enjoy hunting and fishing on a range of landscapes, there is something special – even magical – about hunting deep in the backcountry or fishing on a remote river.

“Traditional hunters and anglers who consider themselves as stewards of the land understand that the outdoors are to be treated as a renewable natural resource, in order to be enjoyed by future generations” says co-chair Cody Spencer. “In recent years, increased pressures from motorized equipment have had a detrimental effect on the wildlife, their habitat, and the watershed, which in turn has an impact on those users that depend on the watershed.”

OHVs cause vegetation damage, soil compaction, erosion, stream habitat degradation, noise disturbance and displacement of both wildlife and other recreational land users.
Neil Keown who chairs the Alberta chapter with Spencer says “The decision to phase out the recreational use of OHVs will increase habitat security for our native species, such as bears, elk, moose, bighorn sheep and mountain goat, all of which are impacted by these motorized activities. Critical fish habitat, in particular for the threatened westslope cutthroat trout, will be protected by removing illegal OHV crossings, which will reduce siltation and storm runoff spikes. This will improve the quality of experience for the many conservation-oriented anglers and hunters who prefer traditional methods such as foot access, woods skills and fair chase.”

The group notes that private conservation organizations in Alberta such as the Nature Conservancy of Canada, Alberta Conservation Association, Alberta Fish and Game Association, and Ducks Unlimited Canada already prohibit the use of motorized OHVs on their private land holdings, specifically to prevent landscape damage and protect fish and wildlife habitats. Prohibiting their use in the new parks is consistent with this established practice.

Don Meredith is an outdoor writer, long-time hunter, and angler. He is concerned about leaving a legacy for the next generation. “As I get older and less able to hunt deep into the backcountry, I am still committed to using my own power to hunt and fish. I just go no farther than I can pack an animal out. In doing so, I help ensure wildlands stay wild not just for my enjoyment, but more importantly for the enjoyment and health of generations to come. If we insist on damaging our wild public lands in our own interests now, there will not be healthy landscapes, clean streams and abundant wildlife for our children and grandchildren.”

While the group will continue to work with the government to ensure that the parks are protected while ensuring and promoting continued responsible backcountry hunting and angling opportunities, they say that eliminating recreational OHV use in the Castle is a solid first step toward getting our public lands right again for hunting, angling and conservation.

http://www.pinchercreekvoice.com/201...y-hunters.html

Who are you going to blame when all the ohv's are gone and the fish are still dieing
Old 04-14-2017, 08:33 PM

Check out the Alberta Fish and Game Association news release from Feb 16,2017 titled "Family Traditions lose out under proposed Castle Parks". The news release does not talk about shutting down public lands to other user groups.
Old 04-14-2017, 11:41 PM

Unhappy Found this on my face book feed tonight

Today was a very sad, yet enlightening day for me. Also very timely given the post yesterday by Bryan Lichfield regarding the Yukon to Yellowstone (Y2Y) group.
This morning I was sitting with my family having Easter breakfast at Stella's diner in downtown Lethbridge. Lo and behold who should walk in, but everyone's favorite hypocrite, lie to her constituents, Lethbridge MLA and environment minister Shannon Phillips. She sat down at a table 3 feet from me.
Even more interesting was who she was with. She was with Harvey Locke, the founder of Y2Y and his wife Marie-Eve Marchand. If you are not familiar with these people, Google search them. You'll be very enlightened. If you have never met Mr. Locke, he loves to hear himself speak……. Loudly. This proved to be beneficial because I (and the rest of the restaurant) could clearly hear most of their conversation.
Mr. Locke had a map laid out in plain view on the table in a public restaurant for all to see. He was showing Shannon the map, pointing to areas, and telling her that trails need to be closed and access restricted because these were traditional Buffalo migratory paths and breeding grounds. The area on the map looked to me like either the Porcupine Hills or the Livingston Range because it was long and thin. It was definitely not the castle area.
They talked for quite a while, and in Shannon's defence Locke did 90% of the talking. Shannon was just looking at the map, smiling and nodding her head.
Then the scariest words of all were uttered, Locke turned to Shannon and said “now all we have to do is get you reelected” and their entire table burst out laughing.
Up until this moment I actually thought we had a chance to make a difference. I filled out my survey, I went to the public meetings and protests, and diligently wrote more letters than I can count. I realized today it was all for naught. These are Shannon's friends and they are her beliefs. She was an environmental activist before she was elected and will continue to be. We can protest and make white noise all we want but she will not change her mind. The Castle Park is happening and it would appear there are more closures to come.
People…….. we have lost the battle. We need to accept that and refocus our efforts on how we can now win the war.
We need to abandon the notion that they're listening to us. We need to accept the fact that despite them making it seem like we have a voice, we do not. They are not listening and we cannot change this governments mind. Instead we must devote our time and energy into changing the government itself. We need to transition from “protesters” into “campaigners” and ensure that come election time, the NDP are removed from power and replaced by someone more sympathetic to our way of life.
I attached a couple pictures I took. Shannon is the one in the yellow scarf. Im kicking myself for not trying to get a picture of the map.
Please share this post. We may have lost the castle (for now) but hopefully this knowledge can help some of our OHV friends elsewhere from also losing their riding area.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1020...8315922703622/

Old 04-15-2017, 02:02 AM
Banned

Quote:
Alberta chapter of Backcountry Hunters and Anglers supports direction of new Castle Parks

Backcountry Hunters and Anglers Alberta Chapter - A group of Alberta hunters and anglers are congratulating the government on the protection of the Castle Provincial and Wildland Parks and supporting the phase-out of off-highway vehicle use from the new parks. The Alberta Chapter of Backcountry Hunters and Anglers are united in their belief that the freedom to hunt and fish depends on habitat. While many enjoy hunting and fishing on a range of landscapes, there is something special – even magical – about hunting deep in the backcountry or fishing on a remote river.

“Traditional hunters and anglers who consider themselves as stewards of the land understand that the outdoors are to be treated as a renewable natural resource, in order to be enjoyed by future generations” says co-chair Cody Spencer. “In recent years, increased pressures from motorized equipment have had a detrimental effect on the wildlife, their habitat, and the watershed, which in turn has an impact on those users that depend on the watershed.”

OHVs cause vegetation damage, soil compaction, erosion, stream habitat degradation, noise disturbance and displacement of both wildlife and other recreational land users.
Neil Keown who chairs the Alberta chapter with Spencer says “The decision to phase out the recreational use of OHVs will increase habitat security for our native species, such as bears, elk, moose, bighorn sheep and mountain goat, all of which are impacted by these motorized activities. Critical fish habitat, in particular for the threatened westslope cutthroat trout, will be protected by removing illegal OHV crossings, which will reduce siltation and storm runoff spikes. This will improve the quality of experience for the many conservation-oriented anglers and hunters who prefer traditional methods such as foot access, woods skills and fair chase.”

The group notes that private conservation organizations in Alberta such as the Nature Conservancy of Canada, Alberta Conservation Association, Alberta Fish and Game Association, and Ducks Unlimited Canada already prohibit the use of motorized OHVs on their private land holdings, specifically to prevent landscape damage and protect fish and wildlife habitats. Prohibiting their use in the new parks is consistent with this established practice.

Don Meredith is an outdoor writer, long-time hunter, and angler. He is concerned about leaving a legacy for the next generation. “As I get older and less able to hunt deep into the backcountry, I am still committed to using my own power to hunt and fish. I just go no farther than I can pack an animal out. In doing so, I help ensure wildlands stay wild not just for my enjoyment, but more importantly for the enjoyment and health of generations to come. If we insist on damaging our wild public lands in our own interests now, there will not be healthy landscapes, clean streams and abundant wildlife for our children and grandchildren.”

While the group will continue to work with the government to ensure that the parks are protected while ensuring and promoting continued responsible backcountry hunting and angling opportunities, they say that eliminating recreational OHV use in the Castle is a solid first step toward getting our public lands right again for hunting, angling and conservation.

http://www.pinchercreekvoice.com/201...y-hunters.html
NICE , So whats your take on bulldozing a mountain apart so we can all slide down the hill on boards.
Old 04-15-2017, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigskinner View Post
NICE , So whats your take on bulldozing a mountain apart so we can all slide down the hill on boards.
I'm not sure what a ski resort has to do with castle ohv eviction. My interests involve ohv's. Rather then derailing this threat how about you start a new thread discussing the destruction involving ski hills in Alberta. You can start by pointing out which mountain in Alberta has been bull dozed apart for a ski hill and we can go from there

Old 04-15-2017, 10:11 AM
Banned

Quote:
I'm not sure what a ski resort has to do with castle ohv eviction. My interests involve ohv's. Rather then derailing this threat how about you start a new thread discussing the destruction involving ski hills in Alberta. You can start by pointing out which mountain in Alberta has been bull dozed apart for a ski hill and we can go from there
Castle Mountain Resort was approved 30 years ago by the PCs. Approval decision at the time recommended that the remainder of the Castle be made a park which the government of the day ignored.

The SSRP decision on the Castle ignored public input and allowed logging to be continued up the whole south Castle Valley protecting only rock and ice before the NDP protected the whole valley. I didn't see any "OHV conservationists" trying to stop the logging despite the revisionist history that OHVers have always supported a park for all recreational users.

Are you really proposing the government should expropriate the lease to prove they are managing the environment?
Old 04-15-2017, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Castle Mountain Resort was approved 30 years ago by the PCs. Approval decision at the time recommended that the remainder of the Castle be made a park which the government of the day ignored.

The SSRP decision on the Castle ignored public input and allowed logging to be continued up the whole south Castle Valley protecting only rock and ice before the NDP protected the whole valley. I didn't see any "OHV conservationists" trying to stop the logging despite the revisionist history that OHVers have always supported a park for all recreational users.

Are you really proposing the government should expropriate the lease to prove they are managing the environment?
Again, this thread is about ovh closure in the castle area. I'm still not sure what ski resorts have to do with this. If you feel a need to discuss it start a new thread!
I don't see where anyone is proposing expropriating anything. Time to give your head a shake

Old 04-15-2017, 10:52 AM
Banned

Quote:
Again, this thread is about ovh closure in the castle area. I'm still not sure what ski resorts have to do with this. If you feel a need to discuss it start a new thread!
I don't see where anyone is proposing expropriating anything. Time to give your head a shake
Sorry, Klondike, I was agreeing with you. Should have linked to previous poster who seemed to be suggesting that if you are concerned about quad damage inside the park, we should be opposed to existing ski development outside the park. I agree completely different discussions.