Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-14-2017, 06:24 PM

Thanks for the opinions guys.

Reason I'm interested in gas is to keep initial cost low.

We have also towed with 1500 series gas and it has worked fine. upping to a 2500 gas will work better and we wont be at max capacity on the 1500 anymore.

No one has mentioned the cost of repairs but I've heard diesel is expensive.

Resale doesn't matter, we will keep the truck till it's well done.

I'll take a look at the F 250's and SRW 350's.

I don't want a dually because then your are commercial and always have to pull into checkpoints here.

Just want simple and reliable and don't want to be smoked with maintenance.
Old 04-14-2017, 07:16 PM

What about the GM/Chevy option with the 6.2L engine? I haven't heard much about these engines. Everyone seems to talk about he 6L but not much about the 6.2.

On the subject of Ford, I had a '12 F250 with their 6.2 and wasn't super impressed. It was reliable, but not that special. As mentioned, I'd have concerns towing heavy with that combo.
Old 04-14-2017, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry D View Post
Thanks for the opinions guys.

Reason I'm interested in gas is to keep initial cost low.

We have also towed with 1500 series gas and it has worked fine. upping to a 2500 gas will work better and we wont be at max capacity on the 1500 anymore.

No one has mentioned the cost of repairs but I've heard diesel is expensive.

Resale doesn't matter, we will keep the truck till it's well done.

I'll take a look at the F 250's and SRW 350's.

I don't want a dually because then your are commercial and always have to pull into checkpoints here.

Just want simple and reliable and don't want to be smoked with maintenance.

Just FYI, dually or srw, if you are that heavy commercially you should be stopping at the scales. Anything registered over 4500 kgs has to stop. And depending how far you travel you may fall under federal regs which means hrs of service,cvips and logbooks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-14-2017, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blgoodbrand1 View Post
Just FYI, dually or srw, if you are that heavy commercially you should be stopping at the scales. Anything registered over 4500 kgs has to stop. And depending how far you travel you may fall under federal regs which means hrs of service,cvips and logbooks.

It doesn't matter how far you travel it's how much you are registered for if your over something like 11750 you need safety fitness cert then you are required to have log book etc.

Old 04-14-2017, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweld View Post
It doesn't matter how far you travel it's how much you are registered for if your over something like 11750 you need safety fitness cert then you are required to have log book etc.

No. That is not correct. I am not going to get into all the particulars but there are issues with cross border travel as well as distance within province travelled from your home base. As well the number is 4500kgs where issues begin.

Old 04-14-2017, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blgoodbrand1 View Post
No. That is not correct. I am not going to get into all the particulars but there are issues with cross border travel as well as distance within province travelled from your home base. As well the number is 4500kgs where issues begin.

Only if you have your safety fitness cert. or travel across the border. My self with a welding rig I am registered commercial. Yes I have to stop at the scales and need a cvip but do not need a log book no matter how far I travel

Old 04-14-2017, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweld View Post
Only if you have your safety fitness cert. or travel across the border. My self with a welding rig I am registered commercial. Yes I have to stop at the scales and need a cvip but do not need a log book no matter how far I travel

You guys are talking 2 different things here I think.

Doesn't matter SRW or Dually - the moment the vehicle is registered at 4500 kg you are required to abide by commercial vehicle requirements (which means you gotta scale and are subject to commercial DOT regulations). At that point you have to placard your vehicle (with GVW/TARE ect)

There are both Provincial and Federal Regs. - There is some distinction between the both and some rules are quite different.

Both placards allow no log books within "X" distance of the commercial vehicles homebase.

Your welding truck, if registered, is probably Provincial, and/or not registered as a commercial carrier/vehicle over 4500 kg. and/or operates within the boundary of your homebase. If you do not meet any of these exemptions , you are, 100% subject to fines and are breaking the law.