Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-12-2017, 06:47 AM

Default Dog for Yotes

I'm on an acreage and have goats. Maremma to protect them, and 2 "yard dogs". One's a catahoula, and the other's a lab. I got the lab from the pound, as it was supposed to be a chow/akita cross and I figured it'd be good for minimizing coyote presence. He's a sweet boy, but he's a lab and a big baby.

To step back, I suppose I was spoiled by my previous yard dogs. Blue Heeler, and a Border collie/lab mix. They loved baiting, hunting, and beating up on coyotes. I'd find them gnawing on a head or leg, some mornings. As dogs do, they got old and passed on. The catahoula received some training from the blue heeler.

The other morning, there was a ruckus. The maremma was barking her head off, and there was a coyote standing the other side of the fence, taunting her. The catahoula was barking her head off, about 15' from the 'yote. The lab was hiding in his dog house. Me and the .22 solved 2 coyote problems, but 3 more got away. There was a pack in the bush and were obviously trying to bait my maremma. I'm glad the catahoula didn't get taken.

So, I'm wondering if I should get another yard dog to back up the catahoula and make my area, once again, coyote unfriendly. If so, what type of dog would you guys recommend? I'm leaning towards another blue heeler, as my previous one was intelligent, kind, gentle, and a coyote killer. But is that typical of blue heelers?

So, my question is: What type of dog would pair well with a catahoula to make a good anti-coyote tag team?

Thoughts?
Old 04-12-2017, 06:58 AM

Great Pyrenees don't put up with yotes. But they roam.
Old 04-12-2017, 07:03 AM

I would have encouraged them to "get" the two you shot. Make chewing on a coyote fun. I'm not sure any breed will assure that your dog will attack coyotes, although some would certainly be more predisposition-ed. My wirehair was lured and attacked by two coyotes, he hates them now. I have to call him off of chasing every coyote we run into now.

Thomas Sowell
Old 04-12-2017, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
Ya. I'm looking for more of a yard dog type.
Old 04-12-2017, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
I would have encouraged them to "get" the two you shot. Make chewing on a coyote fun. I'm not sure any breed will assure that your dog will attack coyotes, although some would certainly be more predisposition-ed. My wirehair was lured and attacked by two coyotes, he hates them now. I have to call him off of chasing every coyote we run into now.
I think the catahoula would have "got" the live coyote, but had no backup. The lab ..... is a lab...... no interest in being vicious at all.

I figure I was spoiled by the previous pair I had.

Thanks for your thoughts, though.
Old 04-12-2017, 07:13 AM

Guardian dog. They naturally do perimeter checks, pretty impressive to see.
Old 04-12-2017, 07:20 AM
Banned

Are your dogs outside year round or do you bring them in? Alot of dogs are capable, but would they - not every cat is a mouser.

If I lived on an acreage, it would be pitbulls personally.
Old 04-12-2017, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverdoctor View Post
Are your dogs outside year round or do you bring them in? Alot of dogs are capable, but would they - not every cat is a mouser.

If I lived on an acreage, it would be pitbulls personally.
They're outside dogs. I have 14 acres.
Old 04-12-2017, 07:50 AM

I know a few people that have had success using Great Danes to deal with coyote's.
Old 04-12-2017, 07:51 AM

Greyhound. You will never have coyote problems again.
Old 04-12-2017, 07:52 AM

Any single dog can get drawn out by persistent/smart coyotes. Once in the brush it's game over. If you want to be serious what you need is two dogs willing to work in tandem and go get'em. Too bad the lab isn't willing to make a stand. If you've had a ACD in the past go for it again. Best yard/farm dog overall IMO, easygoing, low needs, and won't eat you out of house and home like the heavier breeds.

Best coyote killing combo we had in the yard were a Golden Pyrenees and a straight up res-mutt lab. But they were attached at the hip from puppies onward and inseparable. Wouldn't roam much but would kill anything wild within a mile of the yard; geese, fox, coyotes, mink, even harass deer and chase em off. Bad barking combo though, but at least you knew they were keeping watch. Eventually a porcupine ended the lab after he got a face full of quills, which was then later killed by the other one.
Old 04-12-2017, 08:07 AM

We had a German shepherd that would kill coyotes. Even seen him fight a badger and kill it. And took on a bear once. The dog kept running in circles and biting at the bears back end till the bear took off dragging its but on the ground lol
Old 04-12-2017, 08:10 AM

Irish Wolfhound?
Old 04-12-2017, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hl649 View Post

X2. Back in the day that's what my uncle used to hunt yotes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-12-2017, 08:27 AM
Banned

Not a dog, but a donkey makes a great guard dog against coyotes, they hate them and will stomp them into the ground.
Old 04-12-2017, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Valy View Post
Irish Wolfhound?
That would be my suggestion.

I went to shoot gophers one day and the land owner had a wolfhound. We walked out to look at the gopher patch and saw a yote half way across the next quarter. The dog saw it as fast as we did and off she went. The coyote saw the dog at the same time and started for the bush. So the dog had a half a mile to run and the yote had a quarter of a mile to get into the bush. The yote didn't make it to the bush or full stop. That dog pulled up on him like he wasn't moving and ended him.
I would imagine a wolfhound would be hard on food but it was an impressive display that morning.
Old 04-12-2017, 08:40 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweld View Post
X2. Back in the day that's what my uncle used to hunt yotes.

They likely wouldn't make a good outdoor dog over the winter. I was really surprised when greyhounds were mentioned a while back as yote killers, very efficient. People need to start running some in Edmonton, clear up some of the yote issues.
Old 04-12-2017, 09:37 AM

It is not so much the breed but the personality of the dog. Some are hunters others are lap dogs all in the same breed. You want something with size to let coyotes know who is the big dog on the range.
Old 04-12-2017, 10:00 AM

Quote:
This. Neighbors have two, since pups.

Completely outdoor dogs.

If you can deal with the barking at night, go for it. They definitely keep the yotes away (from our place too).

And they're good with (our much smaller) lab.

They do roam tho, and I suspect they will at one point be put down by an unhappy neighbor (those that don't like the dogs near their cows....)

Good luck.
Old 04-12-2017, 10:05 AM

Watched my Lab and one of her pups kill one , he took the back end and she took the throat.
Old 04-12-2017, 11:13 AM

Quote:
I have met a few farmers who had them, they said these dogs liked to play with the yotes and the yotes moved on quick lol. What a presence they give too, stare you right in the eye when you pull up and look out your vehicle window. One of them just brushed by my leg and it almost knocked me on my butt. Big dogs.
Old 04-12-2017, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
It is not so much the breed but the personality of the dog. Some are hunters others are lap dogs all in the same breed. You want something with size to let coyotes know who is the big dog on the range.
That's my worry.

It's hard to tell if they'll fit my need, until long after they're part of the family. And by then, they're part of ones heart, so one doesn't get rid of 'em no matter what kind of goofy fartbags they are.

Just wondering if there was a trend in breeds.

Thanks for you input, guys! I appreciate it! Keep 'em coming!
Old 04-12-2017, 01:26 PM

I've got a Cane Corso/Bullmastiff mix. He's fast as hell and would definitely make a coyote think twice about coming around. He keeps up with us on our day long quad rides through the trails. He loves snow and being outdoors and I think he would make an awesome acreage dog. That being said though, he wouldn't make for a great outdoor dog as he loves to be with us and is a shorthaired dog so the cold eventually gets to him if he's out for awhile.
Old 04-12-2017, 03:49 PM
Gone Hunting

My brother used to shepherd the cutblocks for forestry with 1000-1500 sheep. He used Maremmas for predator control. Worked well on everything.

I've also seen very aggressive llama/coyote interaction.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 04-12-2017, 04:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCTHEMI View Post
I know a few people that have had success using Great Danes to deal with coyote's.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hl649 View Post
These... Both are very effective coyote hunters/killers...

Especially the G-H's, they run coyotes down like nobody's business.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkTw8u6qY2M

Old 04-12-2017, 05:51 PM

You need to check out the Bouvier, they are super well mannered, but don't take well to a good taunting, they are very big, muscular and at the same time great with children, often times when I was walking my Bouvier at night it scared the hell out of people often times, having them run off, screaming OMG, it's a Bear!
Old 04-12-2017, 06:11 PM
Banned

Sar mountain dog is very effective for predator/intruder control, you can be sure that your property is safe. Very good with kids as well.
Old 04-12-2017, 06:39 PM

If the catahoula has a tendency to bark, get a breed that doesn't. Very quickly they will learn to bait coyotes as a team.

A wolfhound is ideal, fast and quiet, but they are giants and eat a lot. If you see one work a coyote it's something else. Might look like overkill but a pack poses no threat. Just more chew toys.
Old 04-12-2017, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by morinj View Post
You need to check out the Bouvier, they are super well mannered, but don't take well to a good taunting, they are very big, muscular and at the same time great with children, often times when I was walking my Bouvier at night it scared the hell out of people often times, having them run off, screaming OMG, it's a Bear!

We had a Bouvier that tangled with a black bear when I was a kid. That was an expensive vet bill. Had a flap of skin the size of a pizza hanging off her ribs.

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors
Old 04-12-2017, 08:45 PM
Banned

Irish wolf hound