Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-13-2017, 02:35 PM
Banned

Only one was dropped? Doesn't the Air Force know that "Practice makes Perfect"?

Maybe it was a practice run for NK, we can only hope!
Old 04-13-2017, 02:43 PM

MOAB (GBU-43B) during development ^

A more detailed news article about the bombing ... https://www.apnews.com/339a792016c14...in-Afghanistan

Selkirk
Old 04-13-2017, 02:50 PM

If there were a pipeline in Afghanistan it would have been destroyed long ago, it's not like those guys can't dig holes and build IED's for Pete's sake. Do you think there would be a bunch of compressor shacks just protected with a chain link fence and a Master padlock or something?? Geesh .....
Old 04-13-2017, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79ford View Post
Well Assad is fighting against ISIS so I dont see how harming Syria will help the fight against isis. Bombing the enemies of Isis would probably help isis.
Seems like Assad is just a priority in Syria, Al Qaeda is a friend:

"From: Jake Sullivan
To: Hillary Clinton
Date: 2012-02-12 09:01
Subject: SPOT REPORT 02/12/II
UNCLASSIFIED U.S. Department of State Case No. F-2014-20439 Doc No. C05789138 Date: 10/30/2015
RELEASE IN FULL

Sent: Sunday, February 12, 2012 4:01 PM
To:
Subject: Fw:SPOTREPORT02/12/11(SBU)

See last item - AQ is on our side in Syria.

Otherwise, things have basically turned out as expected.''

https://wikileaks.org/clinton-emails...3225#efmAGIAHu
Old 04-13-2017, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sashi View Post
This bombing was not to wipe out ISIS, It was for show, to Assad etc. We know where your military bases are, and we can eradicate them in an instant without going nuclear. Oh and we're not afraid to use them, So Listen Up.
I think it's mostly for the Fat Boy and his atomic bomb testing site tunnels. May be Trump will risk to bomb it? I just hope he asked Seoul residents if they are ready to pay the price for it.
Old 04-13-2017, 03:17 PM

need to drop a few more.

LIFE IS TOUGH.....TOUGHER IF YOU'RE STUPID.-------------------“Women have the right to work wherever they want, as long as they have the dinner ready when you get home”
Old 04-13-2017, 03:27 PM

I think Afghanistan if too far gone anyway, decades of war, all they know how to do is to grow opium, fight for it or protect it.
Soviets tried to buy them with Band-e Sardeh Dam, University and such in hope for a more stable country, then ****ed it all away with a war.
Old 04-13-2017, 03:30 PM
Banned

Whack'em'n'stack'em!!!
Old 04-13-2017, 04:18 PM

Kinda puzzled when I heard this story. US used Daisy Cutter bombs in Viet Nam and Afghanistan before, I believe, fuel, air explosives of unbelievable force.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BLU-82

Cheaper than a Tomahawk .

Grizz
Old 04-13-2017, 04:23 PM

The one they dropped today actually seems to be quite a bit more expensive than a Tomahawk, some say it's around 16 million dollars a piece. But if they used it against tunnels, then something smaller probably would not do the job.
Old 04-13-2017, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak-71 View Post
The one they dropped today actually seems to be quite a bit more expensive than a Tomahawk, some say it's around 16 million dollars a piece. But if they used it against tunnels, then something smaller probably would not do the job.
Things with these bombs is it's not so much the blast as the atmospheric over pressure. Plays havoc with people's lungs and would extend into the tunnels.

Grizz
Old 04-13-2017, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNP View Post
If you can find that pipeline it would be a miracle. There is no pipeline bigskinner. If there ever was, it would have been targeted long ago. The war in Afghanistan was not ever about oil. It wasn't a tinfoil hat war either.................time to take off that hat
You can't find it because it isn't finished yet but it does exist. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turk...India_Pipeline

A trillion dollars of rare earth minerals in the ground over there too, in case anyone thinks the US is over there dropping bombs for freedom.
Old 04-13-2017, 05:43 PM

Last edited by ak-71; 04-13-2017 at 06:01 PM.
Old 04-13-2017, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
Things with these bombs is it's not so much the blast as the atmospheric over pressure. Plays havoc with people's lungs and would extend into the tunnels.

Grizz
I know, this principle is used quite a bit now, from shoulder fired versions to a huge ones, I am surprised it's so expensive, doesn't make sense.

Even Russians built a Father of All Bombs in 2007(?), never tested it on people yet for some reason, but they claim it's "cheap", not giving any numbers though. Maybe the price includes original research and development, not production price

Last edited by ak-71; 04-13-2017 at 05:49 PM.
Old 04-13-2017, 07:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by highlandheart View Post
you can't find it because it isn't finished yet but it does exist. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/turk...india_pipeline

a trillion dollars of rare earth minerals in the ground over there too, in case anyone thinks the us is over there dropping bombs for freedom.

thank you
Old 04-13-2017, 07:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandHeart View Post
You can't find it because it isn't finished yet but it does exist. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turk...India_Pipeline

A trillion dollars of rare earth minerals in the ground over there too, in case anyone thinks the US is over there dropping bombs for freedom.
C'mon, 16 years of war for a pipeline that hasn't started yet? Gotta do better than that.
Old 04-13-2017, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandHeart View Post
what's in the ground in that god forsaken country
If you read into this you should have known that the supposed pipeline in question was an oil pipeline not a natural gas pipeline and that the person making the comment had on his tinfoil hat insinuating that the whole Afghan conflict involving the US was because of oil. Snap-out-of-it......the US could care less about what's in the ground in that God-forsaken-country. There is no oil pipeline in Afghanistan................the US did not invade Afghanistan over oil
Old 04-13-2017, 07:40 PM
Banned

Quote:
If you read into this you should have known that the supposed pipeline in question was an oil pipeline not a natural gas pipeline and that the person making the comment had on his tinfoil hat insinuating that the whole Afghan conflict involving the US was because of oil. Snap-out-of-it......the US could care less about what's in the ground in that God-forsaken-country. There is no oil pipeline in Afghanistan................the US did not invade Afghanistan over oil
The US did not invade Afghanistan over the stories we heard in the news. There was a lot more. The part about getting Osama was just to obtain the social license.
Old 04-13-2017, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbill View Post
Whack'em'n'stack'em!!!
Thats all you got?
Old 04-13-2017, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newview01 View Post
The US did not invade Afghanistan over the stories we heard in the news. There was a lot more. The part about getting Osama was just to obtain the social license.
Afghanistan has a lot of minerals, but I don't think anybody in right mind would invade in hope to mine them. I think Afghanistan was a rare case where declared reasons had something to do with reality. It just turned out to be much more difficult than expected
Old 04-13-2017, 08:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak-71 View Post
Afghanistan has a lot of minerals, but I don't think anybody in right mind would invade in hope to mine them. I think Afghanistan was a rare case where declared reasons had something to do with reality. It just turned out to be much more difficult than expected
Opium. Have to pay for these wars somehow.
Old 04-13-2017, 08:31 PM

Quote:

Tell us all about it...
Old 04-13-2017, 08:35 PM

Quote:

Tell us all about it...
LOL... The Hershey's Kiss.

Thomas Sowell
Old 04-13-2017, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Haha, okay buddy please tell me why I really went there. I never took any mining tools or guarded a oil pipeline. Let's hear it.
Old 04-13-2017, 09:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dowierjp View Post
Haha, okay buddy please tell me why I really went there. I never took any mining tools or guarded a oil pipeline. Let's hear it.
So. Why don't you tell us why you were there?
Old 04-13-2017, 09:53 PM

In other news, tinfoil stock has been hitting record highs.
Not fake news.
Old 04-13-2017, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverdoctor View Post
C'mon, 16 years of war for a pipeline that hasn't started yet? Gotta do better than that.
Just saying there is a pipeline, didn't say it was the reason for the war. Pipeline planned through Syria as well.
Old 04-13-2017, 10:48 PM

It's a pretty dry read, but Zbigniew Brezinski's book explained why the US needed to project and maintain military power into that part of Asia. The US attacked Afghanistan sixteen years ago, why are they still there? https://www.amazon.ca/Grand-Chessboa.../dp/0465027261
Old 04-13-2017, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverdoctor View Post
So. Why don't you tell us why you were there?
The only reason any military goes anywhere is because they are given orders. And it is the way it should be.
Old 04-13-2017, 10:59 PM

At a blast radius of 1 mile and kill radius of 1.7 miles and a blast shock radius of 5 miles i hardly see how this is not conidered a WMD and the civilian casualties are enormous.. It is equivelant to a small nuclear bomb and at 15 million us dollar per unit, am sure the only peop,e happy about it are the arms dealers.