Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 07-26-2020, 07:31 PM

Default New to hunting

Hey guys, I’ve been an outdoorsman, fly fisherman for most of my life. This will be my first hunting season coming up. I’m going to get some deer tags. I’ll be going alone, but I have one thought.
My whole life, I’ve been making noise while I’m the wilderness to keep black bears away. There are quite a few up here in the boreal forest. I obviously can’t go around the woods yelling or I won’t be a very good hunter lol. I’m not scared of bears, but I’d hate to trip over one. Any tips?
My only plan is to carry bear spray as I don’t want to shoot a bear.
Old 07-26-2020, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyguy123 View Post
Hey guys, I’ve been an outdoorsman, fly fisherman for most of my life. This will be my first hunting season coming up. I’m going to get some deer tags. I’ll be going alone, but I have one thought.
My whole life, I’ve been making noise while I’m the wilderness to keep black bears away. There are quite a few up here in the boreal forest. I obviously can’t go around the woods yelling or I won’t be a very good hunter lol. I’m not scared of bears, but I’d hate to trip over one. Any tips?
My only plan is to carry bear spray as I don’t want to shoot a bear.
Don’t even give bears a second thought unless you’re in grizzly country.
Old 07-26-2020, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
Don’t even give bears a second thought unless you’re in grizzly country.
X2
Old 07-26-2020, 07:48 PM

You are hunting so you will be moving slowly, paying attention to sign and your surroundings so you should have a good possibility of knowing if a bear is in the area and likely notice it before stumbling on a bear

For the most part don’t worry about bears because in most cases they want no part of a confrontation. If you are unsure or concerned try to give them space. Only a very small portion of bear encounters run a risk of conflict. Don’t concern about it but respect them

Plus come November when deer hunting gets good bears are less common to encounter
Old 07-26-2020, 08:41 PM

Thanks guys. I’m looking forward to this 👍👍
Old 07-27-2020, 07:05 AM

If you do meet up with a bear stand your ground and make yourself look as big as you can, even with grizz. Never turn and run if you see a bear, you just look like prey then. I’ve met a lot of bears and so far they’ve been the ones to leave. With that said my magnum is always ready, I’d kill any bear if I had too.
Old 07-27-2020, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nayr View Post
If you do meet up with a bear stand your ground and make yourself look as big as you can, even with grizz. Never turn and run if you see a bear, you just look like prey then. I’ve met a lot of bears and so far they’ve been the ones to leave. With that said my magnum is always ready, I’d kill any bear if I had too.

I agree fully with most of the statement except the “make yourself look as big as you can- even with grizz”.

While I have no doubt that this does often work, the potential of escalating to a dangerous encounter is huge. Particularly with a sow/cubs or a situation in which a grizzly (or even black bear) is over a carcass.

With grizzly or even the few times that I have really surprised and ticked off a black bear that begins jaw-popping at me and standing it’s ground, I talk to it and back away while watching the bear closely.

To the OP’s original question, be aware of your surroundings as you hunt, and look for fresh sign. You will be fine.

And carry a black bear tag!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-27-2020, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave99 View Post
I agree fully with most of the statement except the “make yourself look as big as you can- even with grizz”.

While I have no doubt that this does often work, the potential of escalating to a dangerous encounter is huge. Particularly with a sow/cubs or a situation in which a grizzly (or even black bear) is over a carcass.

With grizzly or even the few times that I have really surprised and ticked off a black bear that begins jaw-popping at me and standing it’s ground, I talk to it and back away while watching the bear closely.

To the OP’s original question, be aware of your surroundings as you hunt, and look for fresh sign. You will be fine.

I would agree with this don’t run but attempts to intimidate a bear with cubs or kill or choosing to take a firm defensive stance is not the best idea. Yes it can often work but could backfire in these cases

The slowly backing out and talking is the safest approach in my opinion. I have hunted both species and spent a lot of time in parts of BC with higher bear numbers then you will find in Alberta

Carrying a bear tag is never a bad idea
Old 07-27-2020, 04:34 PM

Ya, I guess I should of said make yourself as big as possible while backing away and talking to the bear. If I’m on a horse I just sit and wait for the bear to leave and still talk to them. Usually have a few curse words for them. “F$#& off bear”
Old 07-27-2020, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nayr View Post
Ya, I guess I should of said make yourself as big as possible while backing away and talking to the bear. If I’m on a horse I just sit and wait for the bear to leave and still talk to them. Usually have a few curse words for them. “F$#& off bear”
I have called many sows with cubs the C word when they get grumpy. The funny thing is it’s safer to say it to a grizzly then it is a women lol
Old 07-27-2020, 04:52 PM

If any bear made me feel threatened for my life having a tag or not wouldn't be my first concern,killing it would.

Having said that like previous posters have alluded to most, if not all bears want nothing but to be left alone and will move away from you.
Old 07-27-2020, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
If any bear made me feel threatened for my life having a tag or not wouldn't be my first concern,killing it would.

Having said that like previous posters have alluded to most, if not all bears want nothing but to be left alone and will move away from you.
The tag just takes away the need to explain yourself if it’s a black bear during hunting season

A family friend had to shoot a grizzly in self defense and they dragged it out for 4years before declaring it self defense
Old 07-28-2020, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
The tag just takes away the need to explain yourself if it’s a black bear during hunting season

A family friend had to shoot a grizzly in self defense and they dragged it out for 4years before declaring it self defense
I've heard of this happening before on self defence Grizzly shootings. It's unfortunate that it turns out this way as people hear this which will make them less likely to report it and they'll walk away from a shooting encounter in the future....

OP-welcome to the hunting community!!
Old 07-31-2020, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7magtime View Post
I've heard of this happening before on self defence Grizzly shootings. It's unfortunate that it turns out this way as people hear this which will make them less likely to report it and they'll walk away from a shooting encounter in the future....

OP-welcome to the hunting community!!
Once bear is dead tag or no tag, Grizzly or Black reporting it wont bring the bear back but may cause you plenty of grief. That's the reason many more than we think are probably shot and left.

I would only shoot a Grizzly if I felt my life was threatened,I would report it and plead my case.
Old 07-31-2020, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7magtime View Post
i've heard of this happening before on self defence grizzly shootings. It's unfortunate that it turns out this way as people hear this which will make them less likely to report it and they'll walk away from a shooting encounter in the future....

Op-welcome to the hunting community!!

sss.
Old 07-31-2020, 07:42 PM

You will have a great first season

If you dont want to encounter a bear, buy a tag....that usually ends all sightings of them. Lol
Old 08-02-2020, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post
You will have a great first season

If you dont want to encounter a bear, buy a tag....that usually ends all sightings of them. Lol
Strange but true!!
Old 08-03-2020, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave99 View Post

100% spot on.