Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-04-2020, 05:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainTi View Post
My disappointment in mankind grows more every day (reading these threads enforces the disappointment).
There was a day when common sense was....well....common....
20 years ago I would have never believed people could be so easily herded!
Boy was I wrong!!
We're swirling to the right at breakneck speed (or is it left and Australia's right)?
Couldn’t agree more Ti! Google has made common sense a thing of the past.

Now put on your mask and get in line 6’ behind that other sheep!
Old 08-04-2020, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
Talked to three families today. Due to this announcement they are pulling their kids from school. I imagine this will be widespread.
They're pulling their children from school because of the safety measures implemented to safeguard their children ????? Interesting perspective.
Old 08-04-2020, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Why are you shopping for an hour daily? I don’t shop that much (an hour) in two weeks.
I shop once a week for groceries. How do you manage to buy all your groceries in less than one hour every two weeks? You must know the store better than I do.

I don't shop every day. I got groceries today and the last time I shopped was last Tuesday and that took ten minutes. When I think about it, it's been 10 days since my last grocery expedition but my wife bought milk once in that time.

I have ordered more things on-line than usual though.
Old 08-04-2020, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk270 View Post
I shop once a week for groceries. How do you manage to buy all your groceries in less than one hour every two weeks? You must know the store better than I do.

I don't shop every day. I got groceries today and the last time I shopped was last Tuesday and that took ten minutes. When I think about it, it's been 10 days since my last grocery expedition but my wife bought milk once in that time.

I have ordered more things on-line than usual though.
Maybe we don’t deal with the same crowds?

-Billy Molls
Old 08-04-2020, 05:46 PM

I guess we'll know the results by mid or late September. The local junior high is just two blocks from a 7-11 and there is a constant stream of kids going there at noon to get their Slurpies, chips, fried chicken, slice of pizza or whatever. So off come the masks, and then back on again, probably without hand washing or sanitizing before and after.
Old 08-04-2020, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott h View Post
They're pulling their children from school because of the safety measures implemented to safeguard their children ????? Interesting perspective.
They can read statistics. They intend school to be a place of learning. So if it can’t happen there, they will go elsewhere.

-Billy Molls
Old 08-04-2020, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roughneckin View Post
As you stated above the last post.
Ah. Well I certainly wouldn't say especially on this site. My circle is pretty wide, and yet that circle doesn't seem to see it as the threat that many on this site see it as. Weird.
I think I like my circle
Old 08-04-2020, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Ah. Well I certainly wouldn't say especially on this site. My circle is pretty wide, and yet that circle doesn't seem to see it as the threat that many on this site see it as. Weird.
I think I like my circle
I’m agreeing with you, maybe just bad grammar. Most here don’t see it as a large concern cause it’s had a fairly small impact on those in lower age brackets so let’s get back to it, which includes school, so it is odd to see how many folks might be opposed to it. Masks are just a small inconvenience for them to hopefully reduce the exposure, just like how kids get flu shots sometimes.
Old 08-04-2020, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy_davey View Post
Couldn’t agree more Ti! Google has made common sense a thing of the past.

Now put on your mask and get in line 6’ behind that other sheep!
They say the virus can enter the eyes as well as the mouth or nasal passage. Those that believe in the masks should also be wearing goggles if they truly want to protect themselves. Be crazy not to. Plus I just wanna see that..
Old 08-04-2020, 06:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
They say the virus can enter the eyes as well as the mouth or nasal passage. Those that believe in the masks should also be wearing goggles if they truly want to protect themselves. Be crazy not to. Plus I just wanna see that..
Ski goggles preferably!
Old 08-04-2020, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Ski goggles preferably!

Or the kind Trump used to stare at the eclipse.
Old 08-04-2020, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
Or the kind Trump used to stare at the eclipse.
Who wouldn't stare at an eclipse for a speed tan like that. Always one step ahead that Donald! Saving time to take care of the real business
Old 08-04-2020, 06:13 PM

Back to School 2020.

-Billy Molls
Old 08-04-2020, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badgerbadger View Post
You're spewing crap.

New Zealand had a different approach than most of the rest of the world, and very much better results. In fact, it's pretty much back to normal there.

https://www.sportspromedia.com/news/...es-coronavirus
Thanks. I started answer his silly numbers but got bored.
Old 08-04-2020, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Google has made common sense a thing of the past.
I don't necessarily agree with everything said here, but I do agree common sense has gone out the window. However, I blame Facebook and Twitter and the like. Google only directs you to lame sites if your search parameters are lame, mostly at least.
Old 08-04-2020, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badgerbadger View Post

New Zealand had a different approach than most of the rest of the world, and very much better results. In fact, it's pretty much back to normal there.
I'm not sure if the good news has lasted but New Zealand did a couple of things that Canada should have emulated. I don't have primary sources for these but they seem like common sense. If anyone has first hand knowledge of how New Zealand did so well, I'd appreciate your sharing it.

I do know that they seem to have strictly controlled travel into the country, easier because they're an island. They enforced self-quarantine for those entering, unlike Canada.

The population are said to have trusted the government and done what they were asked and worked together. This included a very strict lock-down. A huge majority of the population supported the government in this. They did not question and argue with the medical experts at every turn.

They did lot of Covid-19 tests and follow-ups.

It's hard to tell from this distance how well they followed the advice to wash/hand sanitize and social distance. Nor do I know how many wore masks. I do know that this advice is not being followed, in the main, in Canada.
Old 08-04-2020, 07:47 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk270 View Post
I don't necessarily agree with everything said here, but I do agree common sense has gone out the window. However, I blame Facebook and Twitter and the like. Google only directs you to lame sites if your search parameters are lame, mostly at least.
Common sense is all about personal perspective.....not something I would even put into the equation of safe, effective or efficient.....too many available versions....peoplekind.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 08-04-2020, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Thanks. I started answer his silly numbers but got bored.
How are my numbers silly? I'm using the numbers from the US in the hardest hit States from the last 2 months. Please refute how my mortality rate is off versus the total population?
“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.” John Stuart Mill
Old 08-04-2020, 08:49 PM

The next civil war should be interesting....
Masked vs the unmasked.
Well good news for the masked they would just have to wait for all the unmasked to die off from disease
Old 08-04-2020, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Who wouldn't stare at an eclipse for a speed tan like that. Always one step ahead that Donald! Saving time to take care of the real business

Oh for sure. It'd be nice if the results were him being enlightened, or that some of the brightness was able to penetrate his melon but alas, he remains a 3 watt bulb.
Old 08-04-2020, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
How are my numbers silly? I'm using the numbers from the US in the hardest hit States from the last 2 months. Please refute how my mortality rate is off versus the total population?
Your numbers are completely inaccurate. Feel free to back them up with some reference material.
Old 08-04-2020, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tirebob View Post
I think for the most part, kids are going to pull them off their faces the second the person in authority is not around. We like to think they can be responsible, but kids are kids.

Heck, when I was in k/early elementary school I used to have to wear a patch over my left eye because I was born virtually blind in my right eye as it was not fully developed and needed to be strengthened or I would end up permanently blind in it, and while I understood, I didn't care because it sucked so the second the teacher was gone or mom was not around I would rip that sucker off and you guessed it... Permanently blind now in my right eye. (yes I know it was stupid)

That isn't an argument to say yay or nay to masks. Just saying kids won't care about covid (for the most part).
This is the smartest most realistic post in this thread ^^^

I doubt we are going to masks being a big factor in stopping the spread in schools but anyone who did not see this coming as a stipulation to schools reopening clearly has not been paying attention. No doubt a portion of teachers are extremely worried just look how freaked out some AO members are. Of course they were bringing their concerns to the union being as loud as possible

Not a fan of the masks but if the kids get an actual education vs last years mess it’s a worthwhile sacrifice

Unfortunately I have a feeling keeping schools open is going to be an issue not simply solved by masks
Old 08-04-2020, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Your numbers are completely inaccurate. Feel free to back them up with some reference material.
Florida: 21.48M population
Infections: 491,000 equivalent to 2.29% of total population
Hospitalizations: 27,952 equivalent to 0.13% of total population
Deaths:7402 equivalent to .03% of total population

Florida's daily infection rate is dropping quickly, indicating they're past the worse part of the disease

Texas: 29M population
Infections: 451, 181 equivalent to 1.56% of population
Deaths: 7, 261 equivalent to .03% of population
Texas is also on the downswing of daily infections

I couldn't find the hospitalization rate in Texas but would expect it to be similar to Florida.

Using those same numbers for Alberta puts us at this during our peak which is coming:

Alberta: 4.37M population
Infections: 83, 030 equivalent to 1.93%(mean) of the population
Hospitalizations: 5, 681 equivalent to 0.13% of population
deaths: 1, 311 equivalent to .03% of population

Now these numbers may be off slightly but they won't be off by 10,000%
“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.” John Stuart Mill
Old 08-04-2020, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post

Now these numbers may be off slightly but they won't be off by 10,000%
I like those odds!
Old 08-04-2020, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Now four.

And not in our area. We have three schools in an area that should have no more than two. It’s unfortunate as I suspect come fall 2021 the smallest of the three might just be gone. That’s a lot of people looking for work.
I would like to keep my kids at home. I wish they would start up an online option of watching a teacher all day on the tv to do the lesson. And then meet up for gym with other classmates.
I know how quickly colds, bacteria and the like spreads though schools.
Old 08-04-2020, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Map Maker View Post
I would like to keep my kids at home. I wish they would start up an online option of watching a teacher all day on the tv to do the lesson. And then meet up for gym with other classmates.
I know how quickly colds, bacteria and the like spreads though schools.
Just wondering how your child would stop the video teacher to ask him/her a question when they didn't understand?
Old 08-05-2020, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Facts would be a good place for you to start......
https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...ening-georgia/
From your article, the death toll I see is 0.02% of those infected.
That's better than almost anywhere else.
Old 08-05-2020, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Exactly what I've been saying for weeks now.
For some one to be pro-mask, yet not pro-goggle, is ridiculous. Of all the things one can do to protect themselves from catching this virus, putting on fully sealed goggles would be most valuable.
And that's straight from a couple medical professionals I've spoken with.
Yet no one is screaming for mandatory goggles. Weird.
Old 08-05-2020, 02:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBintheNorth View Post
Exactly what I've been saying for weeks now.
For some one to be pro-mask, yet not pro-goggle, is ridiculous. Of all the things one can do to protect themselves from catching this virus, putting on fully sealed goggles would be most valuable.
And that's straight from a couple medical professionals I've spoken with.
Yet no one is screaming for mandatory goggles. Weird.
Sorry forgot this quote too:

MountainTi "They say the virus can enter the eyes as well as the mouth or nasal passage. Those that believe in the masks should also be wearing goggles if they truly want to protect themselves. Be crazy not to."

So do you shed covid through the eyes? Does it become airborne when you blink?

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.

Last edited by huntsfurfish; 08-05-2020 at 02:16 AM.
Old 08-05-2020, 02:37 AM