Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-04-2020, 09:59 AM

Default Pelican Catch 130 Kayak

I purchased this Kayak at the end of June . At first I was going to go the middle of the road route (price wise) and was going to buy an Old Town pedal drive which has a five year warranty on it's drive but then I stumbled on a wicked deal with the pelican . Some how something got spilled on it at the store and it was offered to me for half price . So on my maiden voyage after a few hours the mast rod backed off on the rear fin so I removed it added some loc tite and threaded it back on and all was fine . It took a few days out on the water and the mast rod on the front fin of the drive backed out . So again I removed the fin and tightened the mast bolt with loc tight . A bit of an inconvenience but again no big deal . So the next time I went out... boom again another issue . I pulled up my drive and the mast rods are still attached but the front fin has no resistance . I sent off an email to Pelicans warranty and waited and waited . Thinking summers half over I better give them a call if I want to use my boat this year . They apologized for the poor email response and promised to send me a new drive . I originally asked them to send me the Hydryve 2 pedal drive but they wouldn't .

So knowing I have a new drive coming I was doing some searching online on how to repair pelican drives so I could fix the original as a back up but could not find anything . So I did some research on the old style Hobie drives and realized that they are still selling parts for their original drives that pelican uses. So I ordered a couple of sets Hobie mirage drive V1 sprockets and may eventually upgrade the drive to a Hobie mirage V2 or GT . So I'm not quite sure how the pelican fin mast will fit into the V1 sprocket but I'm sure it could easily be modified or I can order a new one .

When my pelican was working it was a sweet ride , I was just starting to pimp it out with a fish finder and was working on an anchor system . I don't recommend buying the older model pelican Hydryve but if you have one the parts to fix them are fairly reasonable it's the shipping that killed me .
Old 08-04-2020, 10:24 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Jeepers that sucks...hope it works out that you can salvage the rest of the season...I go the pelican strike 120...so far no issues but it's not a peddle drive..so I rely on a paddle but got a spare too. Addictive fishing for sure.
Good luck.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 08-04-2020, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Jeepers that sucks...hope it works out that you can salvage the rest of the season...I go the pelican strike 120...so far no issues but it's not a peddle drive..so I rely on a paddle but got a spare too. Addictive fishing for sure.
Good luck.
I do have a couple of back ups , my old catch 120 and if that go's I'm sure I could borrow my wife or daughters strike 100's kayaks. I just through this post out there for someone having similar issues .