Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-04-2020, 12:07 PM

Default Plumbing question

Hey guys, quick question I laid laminate flooring on my main level it was 17mm question I have in my half bath because the new flooring is higher, can I use 2 wax rings for the toilet I was thinking of using a plain one on floor and the funnel type one on toilet, will this be sufficient to seal the hole?
Old 08-04-2020, 12:24 PM

I’ll frequently do that, it’s common for extra flooring thickness to require that. I’ll usually get a plain wax ring and then use a wax ring with the integral plastic funnel. Place the plain ring down first, followed by the one with the funnel, the funnel will the. Better serve to prevent wax movement/flow from blocking things up. Of course be sure that both the flange and the toilet ‘mating’ surfaces are clean and dry (a common failure is people not wanting to do the icky cleaning part and having the same leak continuing from before)
Old 08-04-2020, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
I’ll frequently do that, it’s common for extra flooring thickness to require that. I’ll usually get a plain wax ring and then use a wax ring with the integral plastic funnel. Place the plain ring down first, followed by the one with the funnel, the funnel will the. Better serve to prevent wax movement/flow from blocking things up. Of course be sure that both the flange and the toilet ‘mating’ surfaces are clean and dry (a common failure is people not wanting to do the icky cleaning part and having the same leak continuing from before)
Awesome thanks caber appreciate it, glad I was on the same page, my apprentice(wife) does all the cleaning while I did flooring so it’s ready to
Go
Old 08-16-2020, 03:29 AM

Hey caber one other question, so the double wax ring didn’t do the trick, wasent confident enough it sealed good enough, so I bought a flange spacer, now it comes with a stickem gasket to seal between closet flange, question is would you use what seems to be a useless gasket material wise, or just lay a good bead of silicone to seal them together.
Thxs again Dave.
Old 08-16-2020, 11:43 AM

The silicones also an adhesive. I'd imagine if you had a problem down the road it would be pretty hard to get anything apart.

Im not a plumber though, we just spent 8 months stripping and rebuilding a house that tenants destroyed lol.
Old 08-16-2020, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba 96 View Post
Hey caber one other question, so the double wax ring didn’t do the trick, wasent confident enough it sealed good enough, so I bought a flange spacer, now it comes with a stickem gasket to seal between closet flange, question is would you use what seems to be a useless gasket material wise, or just lay a good bead of silicone to seal them together.
Thxs again Dave.
The flange spacers should be OK if you don’t over torque the screws to the point the plastic spacer rings get wavy. I’ve even used layers of wax between those flange spacers. Any of the above should suffice, just be sure the surfaces are clean and dry. Silicone comes off easy enough when necessary. I also clean the floor and the whole base/perimeter of the toilet and then trim some clear kitchen and bath silicone around the front 3/4 (back is too hard to get to. Trimming them with silicone like this prevents them from ever shifting and subsequently leaking as the wax seals gets squished around and develops a void(s).