Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-18-2007, 07:29 PM
GoonBag

Default CFO Interview Required for New Firearms Owners

OTTAWA - The Conservative government - under attack Wednesday from critics who charged that eliminating the gun registry will endanger Canadians - touted a new $14-million plan to require applicants seeking firearms licences to undergo one-on-one interviews to determine if they are fit to own guns.

Public Safety Minister Stockwell Day fleshed out a bit of detail on the program, announced in last month’s budget “in recognition of the tragic events at Dawson College last year” in which a young man who legally owned a gun opened fire on students at a Montreal college.

Day said that requiring applicants to face interviews might help screen out some of the people who should not own guns.

“This will require face-to-face time with the chief firearms officer of the particular province,” Day told reporters outside the House of Commons. “We think that will go a long way to keeping firearms out of the hands of criminals who would be afraid to come forward face to face, or perhaps unbalanced individuals.”

The federal budget document says that 20,000 first-time licence applicants will be interviewed, along with their references, at a cost of $14.2 million over two years.

Day’s spokeswoman, Melisa Leclerc, would provide no further details on Wednesday, although government officials said last month that the interviews would be conducted randomly.
Old 04-18-2007, 07:42 PM
Southb

Quote:
Day told reporters outside the House of Commons. “We think that will go a long way to keeping firearms out of the hands of criminals who would be afraid to come forward face to face, or perhaps unbalanced individuals.”
:rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin keeping firearms out of the hands of criminals.Thats a good one a criminal wanting a gun legal .

Quote:
in recognition of the tragic events at Dawson College last year” in which a young man who legally owned a gun opened fire on students at a Montreal college.
How can anyone pridict what kind of person this is by a interview this person can be sain one day a full nut case next week.WHATS NEXT??????
Old 04-18-2007, 07:47 PM
Dick284

You just had to know something had to give.
I can certainly see this getting under the skin of a lot of people, but personally I've got nothing to hide.
Afterall if you want to coach kids soccer, or volunteer at a school, you have to get a background check done.
But as usuall it's the slippery slope thing, and who gets to verify the CFO's refrences, and training. and is the CFO elected or just another Buerocrat(buerocrat BTW) so I muse that the boys and girls in QC and ON are gonna really get hit hard.
Bright side is they are'nt proposing bans, or further restriction on ownership.
Old 04-18-2007, 08:13 PM
Grizzly Adams

A friend of mine applied for a PAL. Someone phoned one of his references and asked if Orville would harm his ex-wife. The reply was, if he was going to do it, he would have done it a looong time ago. He got his PAL:rollin
I guess the problem with an inerview would be the possibility that the interviewer just didn't like you for one reason or another and rejected you out of hand.
Grizz
Old 04-18-2007, 08:19 PM
rugatika

Default starting to lose faith in the government

I am really starting to question just how much good it does to have a conservative government when they have to cowtow to liberals out east all the time. I realize they only have a minority and am trying to be patient until they can get a majority. At some point we really have to question how badly we want to be ruled by Ontario and Quebec.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 04-18-2007, 08:58 PM
trev357

this how it used to before they move things all over the place.
and i'm not that old either(32). i use to have to go to my local police station and talk with the officer before i bought a handgun or transported one around and they typed up the permits right there. any fac renewal was done there in person not nova scotia or over the phone. the problem is that saskatchewan has an officer in regina who's going to drive to go meet him and does he have the time either.
Old 04-18-2007, 09:26 PM
Canmoron

"I can certainly see this getting under the skin of a lot of people, but personally I've got nothing to hide"

That's a slippery slope Dick!
I don't have anything to hide either, but you give an inch, they'll take a yard. Give a them a yard and they'll want a house to go with it!

I don't have anything to hide in my house either, but I'd still expect a police officer to have a warrant before he lets himself into my house!

Andrew
Old 04-18-2007, 10:46 PM
Dick284

Exactly Canmoron.
I've written to voice my displeasure about the whole lack of progress on the C68 issue with many people in the CPC, but like I said. At least we still have our HG's and Semi's small conselation as it may be, but short of telling them your PO'd who the heck are we gonna vote for, afterall if we fragment the RW vote the Lefties win and guess where we'd be if that happens.
We're between a rock and a hard place right now, and unless Haper &Co. win a majority, I don't think it's gonna get better.
Old 04-19-2007, 11:15 AM
sideshowkev

Ok, so does that mean the the CFO needs to have psychologist credentials?

And in Liberal Canada, it would probably mean that he would still get a gun, but he'd have to promise not to use it on people, unless he had a good excuse like not getting enough hugs from mommy growing up or a misunderstood minority that would be politically incorrect to discipline.
Old 04-19-2007, 11:28 AM
Delburnedave

"at a cost of $14.2 million over two years."
Yah right. You can probably multiply that by a factor of 10. Or who knows? Maybe 100. Wasn't the original registry only supposed to cost $2 million?
Old 04-19-2007, 02:06 PM
Dick284

For new applicants only, gang.............................................. ........
When my wife and I applied for our new shinny FAC's with pictures on them in the early 90's the Firearms officer or his delegate from the local RCMP detachment phoned our refrences, and each of us respectfully, to make a few questions, like:
" Do you know your spouse is seeking to get an FAC ?" "Yes I do, I helped her fill out the application, do you want to ask her about my application too?" "er, uh I don't have her's on my desk"..................... 2 days latter the other rookie from the detachment called her about my application.

Hmmm, is this anthing new or just a re-hash of the old stuff.
A waste of money that is a ploy to keep the cry babies in Moronto and Montunreal, and Hongcouver happy.
Old 04-19-2007, 02:13 PM
Okotokian

Hongcouver??? Easy big fella... ya got a bit of color showing on your neck
Old 04-19-2007, 02:42 PM
Dick284

Yup, and damn proud to be part of the working class who has toiled in the sun to provide for my family.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redneck
Old 04-20-2007, 08:40 PM
killerbren

So this dawson college thing happened when? like a year ago? I wonder how many non licenced firearm related crimes have been commited since then.

Does anybody have any ratio's? percentages? stuff like that between crimes committed with licenced and non licenced firearms.
Old 04-20-2007, 09:27 PM
209x50cal

When my wife and I got our PAL a few years back I never got a phone call, she did though and asked the interviewer if they wanted to talk to me about her ap.
Old 04-21-2007, 09:04 AM
geezer55

I can remember back to my first FAC I had to go to the city police office and have an interview with the issuing officer. His main question was why I wanted a FAC, told him I liked hunting and shooting targets and if I saw a firearm for sale I'd like to have my paperwork done so I could purchase it. He issued my FAC. Still have the copy of my application from back then. Back then the issuing officer was a member of the city police. My son when he got his "Minors' Licence" , he and I had to be interviewed by the issuing officer which is at the RCMP station here.
Old 04-21-2007, 11:19 AM
GoonBag

I got my first FAC when I was 16 because I wanted to pick up a 12 guage so I could do some shooting with a buddy of mine. I remember going to the cop-shop to fill out the application...it was one double-sided page if I remember correctly. But I don't remember being interviewed by the cops. He asked me a couple of questions while I was filling out the app but it was very quick and informal. I think I had my new shotgun by the end of the week, too.
Old 04-21-2007, 11:26 AM
rugatika

I can see this quickly becoming a way of denying licences to people. Get some Librano flacks in there deciding who gets a PAL and who doesn't. If you show up for your interview wearing plaid they will quickly assume that you are some backwoods hillbilly that wants a gun for nefarious purposes. I am sure there will be an appeal process etc, but the bottom line is that it is another hoop and impediment that left minded people can dissuade people from getting a gun.

I think it's a BAD idea.
Old 04-21-2007, 12:18 PM
RancheroMan

Although I don't agree that this is the correct approach, it is a step in the right direction. I've always maintained that shootings, no matter how big or small, are a social issue, not a firearm issue. More money needs to be spent trying to identify and help these people and less money spent on gun control.
Old 04-21-2007, 03:14 PM
59whiskers

My wife and I were assisted by a CFC person when all gun owners had to get a PAL or POL back in the 90,s. The CFC expert assisted us in filling out the application and we had our picture taken by them. When my wife and I got our POL,s back my wifes POL had the wrong picture on it. No interview or application system is perfect. I do not think an interview is worth a hill of beans, but a background check from police in all the communties the applicant lived in is. A persons history should be reasons enough to decide whether or not they can buy or own a gun. The guy that shot those people at Virginia Tech had a history as a stalker with mental problems and some how he was authorized to buy guns. I agree with RancheroMan this is a social issue.
Old 04-21-2007, 04:27 PM
prairieboy

Quote:
“This will require face-to-face time with the chief firearms officer of the particular province,” Day told reporters outside the House of Commons. “We think that will go a long way to keeping firearms out of the hands of criminals who would be afraid to come forward face to face, or perhaps unbalanced individuals.”
So will that apply to natives and metis as well,or will they be exempted?Did they even consider what a person that lives far from the firearms officer would have to go through to meet him in person?It could mean considerable travel and expense or time off of work.
Old 04-22-2007, 07:16 PM
Common Sense

Default Common Sense

Obituary of the late Mr. Common Sense

Today we mourn the passing of a beloved old friend, Common Sense, who has been with us for many years.

No one knows for sure how old he was, since his birth records were long ago lost in bureaucratic red tape. He will be remembered as having cultivated such valuable lessons as: Knowing when to come in out of the rain; Why the early bird gets the worm; Life isn't always fair; and Maybe it was my fault.

Common Sense lived by simple, sound financial policies (don't spend more than you can earn) and reliable strategies (adults, not children, are in charge).

His health began to deteriorate rapidly when well-intentioned but overbearing regulations were set in place. Reports of a 6 year old boy charged with sexual harassment for kissing a classmate; teens suspended from school for using mouthwash after lunch; and a teacher fired for reprimanding an unruly student, only worsened his condition.

Common Sense lost ground when parents attacked teachers for doing the job that they themselves had failed to do in disciplining their unruly children. It declined even further when schools were required to get parental consent to administer Tylenol, sun lotion or a band-aid to a student; but could not inform parents when a student became pregnant and wanted to have an abortion.

Common Sense lost the will to live as the Ten Commandments became contraband; churches became businesses; and criminals received better treatment than their victims.

Common Sense took a beating when you couldn't defend yourself from a burglar in your own home and the burglar could sue you for assault.

Common Sense finally gave up the will to live, after a woman failed to realize that a steaming cup of coffee was hot. She spilled a little in her lap, and was promptly awarded a huge settlement.

Common Sense was preceded in death by his parents, Truth and Trust; his wife, Discretion; his daughter, Responsibility; and his son, Reason.

He is survived by his 3 stepbrothers; I Know My Rights, Someone Else Is To Blame, and I'm A Victim.

Not many attended his funeral because so few realized he was gone.

If you still remember him, pass this on. If not, join the majority and do nothing.
Old 04-23-2007, 01:36 PM
CFO

Default CFO

It sounds like the Conservative government is starting to sell out the legal gun owners of this country. I doubt very much natives will have to have interviews with CFO. It sounds like legal gun owners are now going to be on their own. Time for Alberta to Seperate
Old 04-23-2007, 01:48 PM
rugatika

Default 2 verifiers with you?

So has anyone else heard that you have to bring two people with you to vouch for you?? I heard this somewhere and was wondering if this was just a rumour of if there was any truth to it?